U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM

23,608 posts, read 31,169,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
The district is irrelevant, you should concern yourself with the school feeder pattern. You haven't listed any housing requirements, but know that $200K is not going to be enough to get into a good feeder pattern and an updated single family detached house.

Except for a very few places out of your price range every district in DFW is diverse. So don't focus on that.

Your best bet is probably one of the Richardson schools, but you might also want to consider the southern sector. There was a thread a few days ago about the best schools south of I-30. Be sure to read that.
You can get into Richardson Heights or Heights Park for under $200k if you're lucky, and the schools are excellent. You won't get a big house and it may or may not be updated, but the OP has to be realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

25 posts, read 20,331 times
Quote:
The district is irrelevant, you should concern yourself with the school feeder pattern. You haven't listed any housing requirements, but know that $200K is not going to be enough to get into a good feeder pattern and an updated single family detached house.

Except for a very few places out of your price range every district in DFW is diverse. So don't focus on that.

Your best bet is probably one of the Richardson schools, but you might also want to consider the southern sector. There was a thread a few days ago about the best schools south of I-30. Be sure to read that.
Thanks for this bit of info. I will research feeder patterns in detail after reading about them.... To tell you the truth, I didn't know what they were until I read up on them....I am totally new to this...

buy/sell

Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM

161 posts, read 189,709 times
Quote:
There was a thread a few days ago about the best schools south of I-30. Be sure to read that.
Can someone point me to this?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,872 times
Best Public High School south of I-30

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 31,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson doesn't bus.
My behind Richardson doesn't bus. I lived across the street from the elementary school and I can tell you that they bus kids in from other areas.
School Times Now!

Until just recently they had to do all kinds of things to prove to the Feds they weren't discriminating.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

743 posts, read 1,063,412 times
All busing orders were part of desegregation plans, not all desegregation plans had busing orders.

You are confusing sending students not to their nearest school, but to a school further away for racial reasons, with sending students to their nearest school which happens to be over a mile away and providing a bus. Providing a bus is not "busing".

Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinD View Post
My behind Richardson doesn't bus. I lived across the street from the elementary school and I can tell you that they bus kids in from other areas.
School Times Now!

Until just recently they had to do all kinds of things to prove to the Feds they weren't discriminating.
The DISD also had a desegregation lawsuit pending against it for decades...even after every single high school in the district was majority minority. That's a lame excuse.

Quote:
All busing orders were part of desegregation plans, not all desegregation plans had busing orders.

You are confusing sending students not to their nearest school, but to a school further away for racial reasons, with sending students to their nearest school which happens to be over a mile away and providing a bus. Providing a bus is not "busing".
This. A lot of Richardson schools are oversubscribed, so kids are sent to other nearby schools. My local elementary school is oversubscribed and a lot of parents are pissed that their little snowflakes have to ride a bus to another elementary school. That isn't "busing".

"Busing" is what they did in the DISD in the 70s and 80s where black kids from west Dallas were shipped across town to north Dallas, and white kids from northwest Dallas were shipped across town to Oak Cliff. They didn't have a choice. That policy is one of the major factors behind explosive growth in north Richardson and Plano 30-40 years ago.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
Richardson is a little behind Dallas on getting its desegregation suit dismissed - about a decade!

School Times Now!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Richardson is a little behind Dallas on getting its desegregation suit dismissed - about a decade!

School Times Now!
Must not have been a huge deal, since a lot of people in my neighborhood (including parents with kids in RISD) had no idea it existed.

You do realize it's still the 1950s north of LBJ, right?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM

2,811 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:

My delicate snowflake rides a bus to her elementary school. We must be pulling down the numbers there.

But other than that, what you said as well as BigDGeek's response re: Richardson ISD, if some schools elementary/middle schools are oversubscribed, kids can enroll in another school slightly further (farther? I could never get that right) away and would ride a bus there. This is most definitely NOT the same thing as "desegregation/school busing" as that one respondent is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or