Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times

Advertisements

Caligurl, I actually lived at Saddle Creek....back in 1996. Clearly my knowledge is dated. However, I did not feel entirely safe there and am pretty sure the community has not actually improved since I left. I was housebreaking a puppy at the time and so was outside frequently, often in the middle of the night. And I just had a few weird experiences on the grounds that left me quite uncomfortable. All of my direct neighbors were loud party types, there were car break-ins--not unusual for even more upscale places, but still a bit too much criminal activity for me--and all in all would consider Saddle Creek one of my least favorite experiences as a renter. (And I grew up in Carrollton so I have the warm fuzzies for the city as a whole. Plus, I have lived in urban areas that are probably viewed as 'scary' to suburban types and still felt safer in those areas than at Saddle Creek.)

I did have a great experience with the management, but my time at the actual complex was not one I could recommend to another, especially a single female. There are some perfectly decent and safe complexes in Carrollton, but SC just isn't one of them to *me*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Thanks BBQgritz and kacvb! I am leaning more towards Valley Ranch or Grapevine Mills Mall area. And based on yr description of V Ranch it sounds more my flava. Valley Ranch sounds similar to where I live now.
I just get scared when rents are too good to be true, there has to be a catch! I mean 1200 sq ft for $700??? We got houses here smaller than that : )
And I know Equity all too well so if it was an area that could demand higher rents it would.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
By the way I couldn't get the crime stats on Carrollton PD's website.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM

92 posts, read 291,415 times
Default Carrollton-poor city planning

Carrollton had many poorly planned neighborhoods F&J homes built in the 70's which have driven down Carrolltons values & increased crime. The City of Carrollton lost the mall to Lewisville, which was another example of poor city planning. I can not think of one Carrollton landmark or tourist attraction?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times
Bichon, I'm not sure Old Downtown Carrollton could ever be called a real tourist attraction, but it has a sweet town square and gazebo--cute enough to check out at least once. Old Downtown Carrollton Texas, Carrollton Square, Historic Carrollton

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM

92 posts, read 291,415 times
Yes your right...I have checked it out at least once...once is enough- Babes Chicken! Maybe when the Dart rail station is built the downtown will have growth like Planos 15th street. There are some nice areas north of Rosmeade to Hebron area!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM

70 posts, read 313,285 times
Caligurltotx,

I know you're probably not considering Carrollton any longer, but still wanted to add my two cents. I don't live in Saddle Creek, but live in one of the apartment complexes nearby. I did visit Saddle Creek when I was apt. hunting, but the woman in the leasing office was not at all friendly or helpful, in fact she didn't even offer to show me an apartment, so I moved on. Also, I didn't like the layout of the complex and Saddle Creek had pretty bad reviews on apartmentratings.com.

The area is safe and quiet (although most seem to think only the sparkling new north part of Carrollton is safe). A neighbor told me he leaves his car in the parking lot all day while he drives his company truck for work and it has never been broken into or vandalized in the years he's been there.

Crime stats on Carrollton's web site
City of Carrollton, Texas (http://www.ci.carrollton.tx.us/police/Police/Crimeanalysis.asp - broken link)

No, Carrollton does not have a lot as far as amenities and attractions, but Addison, Lewisville and North Dallas are only 5-10 minutes away and have all I need when I can't find it in Carrollton.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Bichon, I'm not sure Old Downtown Carrollton could ever be called a real tourist attraction, but it has a sweet town square and gazebo--cute enough to check out at least once. Old Downtown Carrollton Texas, Carrollton Square, Historic Carrollton
The square used to be MUCH better. Back in the days when the Plaza Theater still showed up to date and current movies, the snow cone stand was there along w/ the pharmacy AND the grocery store (Busy Bee and it had a bus station there as well). Then those all closed up and the square took a nose dive. The police dept was given the property many MANY moons ago from a local family down there in the "downtown" area. When they built the new one up on Josey they still had to keep some kind of police office there since it was deeded to them that way.

Hubby and I were just discussing the long time snow cone stand that used to be on Josey just north of Valwood on the west side. They had asphalt shingles for the parking lot. Bet that would not be allowed now. Although this was technically in Farmers Branch.

Yep, Carrollton squabled over EVERYTHING w/ the developers to build the mall there. They got tired of the crap and moved on up to Lewisville. So Carrollton ended up w/ the now defunct Mervyn's and Bealls dept stores. Most of the restaurants that came in right there are now either closed up or something different. The city leaders had a problem of trying to be TOO overbearing and lost a lot of business opportunities.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM

37 posts, read 138,069 times
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the lack of shopping & attractions in Carrollton. For years and years (long before this thread came up) I always said that was one of the benefits of Carrollton. Once you've been gridlocked a few times at Vista Ridge Mall or Stonebriar Mall when all you're trying to do is get across town, you'll catch my drift. Nobody comes to Carrollton except the people who live there (or work there). So the traffic is light everywhere. I'll fight the Vista Ridge corner when I need to go shopping, but I would hate to have to go anywhere near there everyday. In recent years the traffic on Josey and Old Denton has gotten heavy from all the people in Little Elm and Frisco that have to meander their way back into town for work. And there is a lot of traffic on George Bush/190, but that traffic is very contained and most of those people are just passing through. Overall, traffic and crowding is on the light side compared to neighboring cities.

It's not for everybody, and it obviously hurts the tax base, but there are some definite advantages in having a lack of reason for people to enter and jam up your city.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The square used to be MUCH better. Back in the days when the Plaza Theater still showed up to date and current movies, the snow cone stand was there along w/ the pharmacy AND the grocery store (Busy Bee and it had a bus station there as well). Then those all closed up and the square took a nose dive. The police dept was given the property many MANY moons ago from a local family down there in the "downtown" area. When they built the new one up on Josey they still had to keep some kind of police office there since it was deeded to them that way.

Hubby and I were just discussing the long time snow cone stand that used to be on Josey just north of Valwood on the west side. They had asphalt shingles for the parking lot. Bet that would not be allowed now. Although this was technically in Farmers Branch.

Yep, Carrollton squabled over EVERYTHING w/ the developers to build the mall there. They got tired of the crap and moved on up to Lewisville. So Carrollton ended up w/ the now defunct Mervyn's and Bealls dept stores. Most of the restaurants that came in right there are now either closed up or something different. The city leaders had a problem of trying to be TOO overbearing and lost a lot of business opportunities.

Things are a changing and for the better ...the now defunct Mervyns is a great Asian Grocery Store that is very popular with all sub groups due to the fresh vegetables and fruits and fish market. That whole area at Old Denton/Trinity Mills/George Bush is being refurbuished and brought back to life. Also, the Square is awesome! They have worked hard on making a come back. Great shops (craft store, women's boutiques, antique stores, Sids Rainbow Fountain, an Itallian eatery, a couple of cafe's, Babe's Chicken are available. Another point to be made... The new DART station is going to help tremendously as well in this area. If I'm not mistaken one of the businesses in the Square also houses some loft apartments with Azul's restarurant housed in the same building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas