U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: In my skin
8,868 posts, read 13,844,225 times
Reputation: 8719

Advertisements

The best tamales I have had, so far, are at Market Street, Central Market and from The Tamale Company. But I would love to walk into a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and get a good tamale. Any recommendations?

South American hallacas and humitas are so hard to find here, but I did find one woman who makes them and they are great. Are there any other places/people that make them? I wanna try them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
 
305 posts, read 1,110,424 times
Reputation: 297
I like the tamales at La Popular on Colombia, but also enjoy the ones from Central Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Central Market? Why are you guys going to chain stores to get your tamales? Go to Los Jarros in Arlington for some good tamales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM
 
390 posts, read 570,282 times
Reputation: 339
Dallas Tortilla and Tamale Factory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times
Reputation: 1889
With all the small mom & pop-looking Mexican & hispanic establishments sprinkled all over the city & metro, is it really that hard to find great tamales (and those other things the OP mentioned that I haven't had a chance to sample yet)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
 
2,982 posts, read 8,177,749 times
Reputation: 1539
The good thing about La Popular is their veg tamales are truly veg/vegan even. No pork products. The bean tamales at CM have lard. Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
 
Location: In my skin
8,868 posts, read 13,844,225 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Central Market? Why are you guys going to chain stores to get your tamales? Go to Los Jarros in Arlington for some good tamales.
I didn't go there for tamales. I shop there and tried them. They just happen to be the best I have had, in my opinion. I have been to many Mexican restaurants in the area and tried theirs and they're just bland. That shocks me, because I prefer a mom & pop over a chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
With all the small mom & pop-looking Mexican & hispanic establishments sprinkled all over the city & metro, is it really that hard to find great tamales (and those other things the OP mentioned that I haven't had a chance to sample yet)?
Refer to the above. But hallacas and humitas are not going to be as easy to find. They are South American. There isn't a big South American community here, that I have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
 
1,787 posts, read 1,883,725 times
Reputation: 1706
Central Market makes delicious tamales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM
 
2,002 posts, read 3,985,824 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The best tamales I have had, so far, are at Market Street, Central Market and from The Tamale Company. But I would love to walk into a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and get a good tamale. Any recommendations?

South American hallacas and humitas are so hard to find here, but I did find one woman who makes them and they are great. Are there any other places/people that make them? I wanna try them all.
Find the "Chilenos en Dallas - Fort Worth" group on Facebook. An Argentinian coworker found a few women that prepare empanadas, humitas, pastel de choclo, etc. there.

What's "hallaca"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: In my skin
8,868 posts, read 13,844,225 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Find the "Chilenos en Dallas - Fort Worth" group on Facebook. An Argentinian coworker found a few women that prepare empanadas, humitas, pastel de choclo, etc. there.

What's "hallaca"?
Thank you!

"Hallaca" is what they call a tamale in Venezuela. But it is similar to other South American tamales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top