U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM

6,889 posts, read 9,584,447 times

Advertisements

There is a four story structure going up in front of Stonebriar Mall in Frisco facing 121. Right now it is a steel structure, on the fourth story are two huge white objects (larger than a car), one facing south, the other north that for lack of a better description look like two huge loud speakers. Where they connect in the middle a large white cylindrical tube is going downward on the third story. It looks like a large circular base is going in on the ground floor.

I am completely stumped as to what this could be. It is on prime retail property facing the 121 access road on one side and the mall ring road on the inside, near restaurants like Chili's and Jason's Deli.

Anybody got a clue as to what this is? I have asked several at work and everyone else is just as perplexed. A tornado siren able to be heard from Waxahachie to Texoma? A massive AC unit to cool down all of Frisco and Plano? An air system for some secretive underground lair?

Jesting of course, but can't think of anything better....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
There is a four story structure going up in front of Stonebriar Mall in Frisco facing 121
I'm not sure the exact lot, but Frisco has a mapping tool showing all their current developments, available here:
City of Frisco Maps

The current construction listed in that area is: a restaurant (smaller lot) and an indoor amusement park (larger lot).

If that is the area I recall, there used to be other restaurants there that were demolished to build this place. That is impressive on Frisco's part, considering there are tons of empty lots throughout the metroplex to build such a facility. Frisco is hot right now.

Frisco's mapping tool is nice too. Very impressive work by the city to create such a thing for us nerds who are into planning and zoning. Of the city planning sites I regularly review (Plano, Dallas, Richardson) this one is heads and shoulders above them, with Richardson a distant second and a Dallas being the worst by far.

They also have a text listing of all propsed developments, here:
http://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/departmen...ningCases.aspx

Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM

198 posts, read 195,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There is a four story structure going up in front of Stonebriar Mall in Frisco facing 121. Right now it is a steel structure, on the fourth story are two huge white objects (larger than a car), one facing south, the other north that for lack of a better description look like two huge loud speakers. Where they connect in the middle a large white cylindrical tube is going downward on the third story. It looks like a large circular base is going in on the ground floor.

I am completely stumped as to what this could be. It is on prime retail property facing the 121 access road on one side and the mall ring road on the inside, near restaurants like Chili's and Jason's Deli.

Anybody got a clue as to what this is? I have asked several at work and everyone else is just as perplexed. A tornado siren able to be heard from Waxahachie to Texoma? A massive AC unit to cool down all of Frisco and Plano? An air system for some secretive underground lair?

Jesting of course, but can't think of anything better....
I believe it is the Indoor Sky Diving facility

Indoor skydiving facility lands in Frisco - Dallas Business Journal

Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
I believe it is the Indoor Sky Diving facility

Indoor skydiving facility lands in Frisco - Dallas Business Journal
dch526, you win the prize. That is the exact location (even though the DBJ doesn't realize that TGI Friday's has been gone for 2 years at least and a Tilted Kilt has just opened in the location.. but this structure is right next door).

That is a totally wild concept, had no idea such an amusement even existed. About as wild as my scenarios. Thanks for the answer, this has blown my mind for weeks now.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM

More info:

Ever Dream of Flying? Indoor Skydiving is Coming to Frisco, TX | Frisco Economic Development Corporation

Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'm not sure the exact lot, but Frisco has a mapping tool showing all their current developments, available here:
City of Frisco Maps

The current construction listed in that area is: a restaurant (smaller lot) and an indoor amusement park (larger lot).

If that is the area I recall, there used to be other restaurants there that were demolished to build this place. That is impressive on Frisco's part, considering there are tons of empty lots throughout the metroplex to build such a facility. Frisco is hot right now.

Frisco's mapping tool is nice too. Very impressive work by the city to create such a thing for us nerds who are into planning and zoning. Of the city planning sites I regularly review (Plano, Dallas, Richardson) this one is heads and shoulders above them, with Richardson a distant second and a Dallas being the worst by far.

They also have a text listing of all propsed developments, here:
Zoning Cases
Thanks for the help too, based on dch's info, this would be the indoor amusement park.

However, nothing was demolished for this plot, it is one of the pad sites surrounding the mall that has never been developed.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM

198 posts, read 195,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
dch526, you win the prize. That is the exact location (even though the DBJ doesn't realize that TGI Friday's has been gone for 2 years at least and a Tilted Kilt has just opened in the location.. but this structure is right next door).

That is a totally wild concept, had no idea such an amusement even existed. About as wild as my scenarios. Thanks for the answer, this has blown my mind for weeks now.
No problem.

This does look pretty cool. I've always wanted to skydive but I just cant seem to get over the fact that I have to jump out of a perfectly good airplane to do so. Problem Solved

Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,307 times
It's very fun.. My husband and daughter did ifly Singapore !!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM

82 posts, read 282,760 times
Default New building in Frisco near IKEA?

Does anyone know what that business is supposed to be? I pass by it daily and it's bugging me.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
The indoor skydive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or