U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,782,510 times

Advertisements

I think the days of realtors performing as tour guides for "someday may move here" people are long gone...... its a very hot market, gas is expensive, and its totally inconsiderate to expect any realtor (who is not family to you) to drive you around unless you are a serious buyer.

Drive yourself around, Moderator cut: can only cite realtors.comand seek open houses in the areas that interest you -- and take yourself to a couple of open houses.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-09-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM

2,237 posts, read 2,778,832 times
It will be HOT!!! on September 1. Plan your outdoor activities for the mornings and evenings. Drink plenty of water and use sun screen.

The McKinney Avenue Trolley will not be running then. Starting next week, they will be shut down until the end of September. The line is expanding (down Olive) and they will be tying the new tracks into the existing tracks.

Planning on visiting Fort Worth? The Stockyards and the Water Gardens are both fantastic. (mornings & evenings) They have some great museums over there as well.

So many of my favorite things are outdoors and I just wait for it to get cooler~
The McKinney Avenue Trolley - shut down
Fair Park - Summer Adventures shuts down Aug. 18, State Fair opens Sept. 27; There are Art Deco buildings, but it will involve lots of walking.
Dallas Heritage Village - lots of outdoor walking
Nasher Sculpture Garden - Mostly outdoors and hotter than need be because of glare from a nearby condo building
Arboretum-outdoors, though nicer in the evening, they will have concerts on Thursday evenings in Sept. & Oct.

Dallas Museum of Art - Since this Nov. marks the 50th anniversary of the death of Pres. Kennedy, the DMA has an exhibit featuring the art work that the Kennedy's saw in Texas in the days before his death.
NorthPark Mall - combine shopping with modern art. The mall is owned by the same family that created the Nasher Sculpture Garden, and there is modern art throughout the mall.
Perot- Awesome. Yes, make sure you have tickets ahead of time.
Aquarium- Fun place in the A/C.
SouthFork Ranch- From the tv show Dallas. Cheesy, but you could get some photos.
Sixth Floor Museum and Grassy Knoll- Yes.

I do hope that you enjoy your visit. And stay cool.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM

100 posts, read 227,004 times
For Labor Day weekend in Dallas? Anything that has a big strong air conditioner would be the winner!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM

6,848 posts, read 9,854,907 times
In addition to the great suggestions listed above, here is an additional list of activities/events for DFW during the week 09/01/13-09/08/13 of your visit you might find of interest.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM

190 posts, read 201,554 times
Default I did find a realtor

My niece used one last year and I explained our desire for a VERY preliminary search. I told him we have no firm plans, neither one of us has a job, etc. but I've researched some areas and want to look on the inside of a few places. I know his time is valuable and I would definitely use him for the future, but to say that asking to see houses is inconsiderate is a bit harsh. I don't see much difference in asking a realtor to do a market analysis on your home. Everything I read says to get a few different ones. That takes a lot of time on the realtor's part, yet only one person gets the listing. A lot can be gleaned from driving around neighborhoods but, unless you look inside, you really don't get the full picture.This realtor said he'd be more than happy to help so I have to take my cues from him.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM

190 posts, read 201,554 times
We would've considered open houses first but we're only here Sunday night-Thursday.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM

9 posts, read 21,386 times
Default Your trip to dallas

All of the suggestions on here are good ones.
I will "second" the tip to plan your Perot Museum visit on a Wednesday so as to take advantage of the El Fenix enchilada special, it is "original" TexMex and delicious.
Also Randy Whites's for BBQ (it's just about the best in dallas, but if you want "real" BBQ you'll have to trek down to Austin).
Unfortunately, the Mesquite Rodeo season ends one or two weeks prior to your visit, so..... No calf roping (haha).
JFK Museum -- skip it unless you are (a) a history buff or (b) enjoy looking at old b&w photos and reading a lot. For kids, frankly, it's kind of boring.
The Arboretum (at White Rock Lake) is a great place to have a picnic.
The Dallas World Aquarium is fun for kid AND adults!
If you have time, downtown Fort Worth is a lot more fun than downtown Dallas, and worth the few extra minutes' drive.
Enjoy your visit to North Texas!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 AM

23,939 posts, read 10,136,774 times
On 9/1/13 the legendary Buddy Guy is in Bedford for the Bedford BBQ and Bluesfest
http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/

I went 2 years ago and had a blast. This year the Saturday headliner is the great Jimmie Vaughan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or