U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,797,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Looks good. Are they going to expand the number of pisd schools that get into this?

Still, not quite Eastern Europe - many years ago, derivatives and integrals in 8th grade, and not even in "math major"...
That's an old PowerPoint. The program is now expanded to cover the whole district. If your kid qualifies for MathRocks, he/she will be moved to one of the 8 or 9 campuses that offer the program, typically for 4th and 5th grade. Of course, if you already attend one of the "chosen" schools, no transfer is needed.

On the downside, last I heard, they pulled the plug on the grades 9-12 implementation of Math Rocks, in favor of dual enrollment for those at the far, FAR end of talent. Just too much divergence in student skill level, and too many kids dropping the program over GPA concerns.

Dirt on the street is they tried to run it ONE time at Jasper with the original pilot group (Algebra II in a semester, Pre-Calc in a semester), and it went over like a lead balloon. The kids were good in math, but, with rare exceptions, not so good they could complete a year of math in a semester - then do that trick again in the spring. Especially when the math demanded of them is already up a couple of years from their peers.

Here's a link to a 2013-2014 brochure, reflecting the lack of 9-12 Math Rocks.

http://k-12.pisd.edu/currinst/elemen...nformation.pdf

Last edited by Big G; 10-29-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Yes, that was horrible! Unfortunately, bullying DOES happen everywhere....though we may not all see it or be aware of it. For some kids, it's a daily nightmare. Best thing you can do is teach you kids the best way to handle it, help keep their self esteem high, and encourage them to find a group of like-minded peers for support.
It happens everywhere. This is just one case that made the news. Unfortunately, the zero-violence policy in schools disarms the good kids and enforces a code of submission among most kids. This allows those kids with a lack of conscience or anger issues to take them out on everyone without the natural pushback. Its pathological. Most other schools in other nations let the kids police themselves to some degree. When I was in 8th grade I decked a bully and he laid on the ground for a minute. The teacher came back in the classroom and took him the nurses office. Nothing ever happened to me. One of the male teachers told me to "take care of him" the next time he bullied me when I complained to him. I did. He never messed with me or anyone else in that class. Today I would be expelled and the bully left free to terrorize others.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 845,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
That's an old PowerPoint. The program is now expanded to cover the whole district. If your kid qualifies for MathRocks, he/she will be moved to one of the 8 or 9 campuses that offer the program, typically for 4th and 5th grade. Of course, if you already attend one of the "chosen" schools, no transfer is needed.

On the downside, last I heard, they pulled the plug on the grades 9-12 implementation of Math Rocks, in favor of dual enrollment for those at the far, FAR end of talent. Just too much divergence in student skill level, and too many kids dropping the program over GPA concerns.

Dirt on the street is they tried to run it ONE time at Jasper with the original pilot group (Algebra II in a semester, Pre-Calc in a semester), and it went over like a lead balloon. The kids were good in math, but, with rare exceptions, not so good they could complete a year of math in a semester - then do that trick again in the spring. Especially when the math demanded of them is already up a couple of years from their peers.

Here's a link to a 2013-2014 brochure, reflecting the lack of 9-12 Math Rocks.

http://k-12.pisd.edu/currinst/elemen...nformation.pdf
Thanks for the info!

I have no idea though, when the time comes, and if my kids qualify how would they feel about switching schools.

Too bad they decided not to implement at high school level, but concern over GPA is understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or