Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,113,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Maybe, but if they're choosing one from each big city isn't it nice that Lakewood won?
Lakewood "won" what, exactly? The "best" urban neighborhood in Dallas and not even Ft. Worth (this list clearly goes by city-proper only)? What about neighborhoods in Boston, San Francisco or Washington DC? These are cities with smaller city-proper populations (and so, excluded from the list) but vastly superior urban neighborhoods than Lakewood.

Really, this is a survey ripe for misrepresentation by list-mentality people. If you were to -somehow- figure out the criteria that would matter to everyone for urban neighborhoods (impossible, I know) places like Lakewood and the Houston Heights would be hard-pressed to crack the top 100 in the country. Even with differing tastes and urban makeups considered, they fall low on most lists. They are simply the closest things places like Dallas and Houston can muster to urban neighborhoods.

I say this having lived in both Dallas and Houston and admitting that Lakewood and The Heights were indeed my favorite neighborhoods in those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,047,164 times
Well technically, they are calling them "Big City Neighborhoods" not "urban neighborhoods". I don't think Lakewood is really urban except for the fact that it's 10 minutes from downtown and that it's walkable to its little 'village downtown' and White Rock Lake. East Dallas is more urban. I don't see much comparision in the Heights and Lakewood. I also lived in Houston. Lakewood is more like West U with a few River Oaks streets thrown in...

Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,180,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
They are a little behind on their school information. I also think we have pretty good public transit options - it's very easy to catch the bus and the DART rail stations are not that far away - Mockingbird Station, White Rock Lake Station and Baylor Hospital on the south end..

Of course it's not like the 60s, 70s and 80s (and before my time) when many of the Lakewood dads took the bus downtown together...
Still waiting for the Mockingbird Tunnel to Love Field...

Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM

257 posts, read 548,308 times
I thought it was kind of interesting that they suggested catching a movie at the Lakewood Theater. Clearly, this is written by someone who has spent NO time in Lakewood during the past 15 years.

But I'm thrilled to see Lakewood on the list. It's a unique neighborhood in Dallas and, especially if you take in the surrounding areas outside Lakewood Proper, like Swiss Avenue and Junius Heights (which most people who aren't from Dallas would consider to be part of Lakewood due to their proximity to Lakewood Village), it's got an eclectic mix of architecture, along with all the history and charm that many of the other neighborhoods on that list can only wish they had.

And it's a darn good place to raise your kids. (Not sure The Heights in Houston can really say that.)

Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,452,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmab View Post
I thought it was kind of interesting that they suggested catching a movie at the Lakewood Theater. Clearly, this is written by someone who has spent NO time in Lakewood during the past 15 years.
)
Maybe they should have said a Burlesque Show!!!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM

257 posts, read 548,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Maybe they should have said a Burlesque Show!!!
Now that's more likely! Or maybe Gay Bingo, if you're lucky!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,047,164 times
Well we do have those "nekkid ladies" statues - as pointed out by Burton "Blazing Saddles" Gilliam (Woodrow '56):

I like telling people in the Balcony Club that I saw Batman when I was a kid at the Lakewood Theater. They usually say, "oh that's nice" thinking of the Micheal Keaton/Tim Burton film. Then I say, "no the 1966 Batman!" and they freak a little...

Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,500,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
In reality, there might have been ten or more from NY alone that rate higher than anything elsewhere.
...if you care to put up with sky-high prices for EVERYTHING.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,742,307 times
Yup. Well deserved. Lakewood is a beautiful, gracious, central neighborhood with a decent (though not as good as it could be) town center. I always thought that of the "desirable" Dallas neighborhoods Lakewood was way underpriced (comparatively) for what you get and for my money it was always the best neighborhood in Dallas.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM

420 posts, read 702,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Yup. Well deserved. Lakewood is a beautiful, gracious, central neighborhood with a decent (though not as good as it could be) town center. I always thought that of the "desirable" Dallas neighborhoods Lakewood was way underpriced (comparatively) for what you get and for my money it was always the best neighborhood in Dallas.
Agree with everything except the underpriced part. Lakewood's secret has been out for a while now and prices have been going up, up, up. Not much left for middle class normies in LW proper, but I suppose still plenty around Junius Heights and other parts of old east Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas