U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,490,732 times

Advertisements

As a newer resident of DFW area, I recently heard about the cities listed that are east of 75. I took the opportunity to travel over that way and was blown away by what I saw. Fairview was absolutely beautiful with lots of trees and hills and acreable home sites with a number of newer (10 yrs or so) homes in small subdivisions. I was surprised by how attractive the scenery was as well as how upscale many of the subdivisions were. It reminded me of parts somerset country of N NJ suburbs with the vegetation and low density of homes. Yet not that far east of US 75, one home is advertised as 3 stop lights from DFW Airport! I know Lovejoy ISD does not earn the love Plano does but the schools were nice and new reflecting the recent growth of the area and IIRC are exemplary and doing a better than most job of educating kids.

Parker near the southern end of these 4 cities was less wooded or hilly it seemed but full of beautiful small horse ranches again very nice neighborhoods and newer homes in many areas. Again close to 75 so not that remote at all from the East to Northern suburbs of Dallas.

These represent a great variation on the typical suburban areas of any city including Dallas. A great retirement option too for those wanting to be near DFW area. Some of the areas around Lucas and Parker reminded me of the hill couuntry around Boerne.

Just another great option this area has for those seeking something a little out of the norm for a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
Yet not that far east of US 75, one home is advertised as 3 stop lights from DFW Airport!
That's kind of an interesting way of putting it as DFW Airport is probably about 30 miles away from the east side of 75, but the tollway doesn't have any stoplights. Fairview has only been around for a few years - they didn't even allow any commericial properties -even gas stations - to be built until recently, only large homes on large lots. Some friends live on Kentucky Lane up a hill (- that's right a hill!) and their house is probably a solid acre from the street.

In my opinion, they built that mall thing on Stacy all wrong, and in 10-15 years, it's going to look like an empty storefront mess, but that's just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,757,219 times
You also get easy access to Lake Lavon for recreational water activities. (It is better when the water level isn't so low though)

Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,030 times
I have to agree its pretty nice.

DFW X is 30 minutes away most days given PGBT.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM

1,540 posts, read 2,289,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's kind of an interesting way of putting it as DFW Airport is probably about 30 miles away from the east side of 75, but the tollway doesn't have any stoplights. Fairview has only been around for a few years - they didn't even allow any commericial properties -even gas stations - to be built until recently, only large homes on large lots. Some friends live on Kentucky Lane up a hill (- that's right a hill!) and their house is probably a solid acre from the street.

In my opinion, they built that mall thing on Stacy all wrong, and in 10-15 years, it's going to look like an empty storefront mess, but that's just my opinion.

why do you think the mall will fail?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
why do you think the mall will fail?
It's a copy of Collin Creek Mall - the density around the site is just not high enough to support that many shops. It's also going to be in constant competition with Watters Creek and any new retail built in McKinney. The restaurants have already experienced turnover since buildout. The one good thing is that they are mostly individual stores, so easy to knock down and rebuild for ground-up retail. Also the 'newness' put a lot of shops out there - the popcorn store also in North Park for example - they are a small shop and are going to be chasing the 'hip' locations.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,645,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

I find Fairview City Hall interesting being located right their in the shopping center. Anyhow, we'll go up there every once a while to catch a movie at the Ipic and check out the Outlet stores an I can't ever remember seeing the area packed.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I find Fairview City Hall interesting being located right their in the shopping center. Anyhow, we'll go up there every once a while to catch a movie at the Ipic and check out the Outlet stores an I can't ever remember seeing the area packed.
The Fairview side is always less crowded than the Allen side.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,000,824 times
I thinknFairview is a great area.The new retail that recently went in was a perfect fit...Whole Foods,Gold Class cinema and all of those eateries.Love Joy ISD is sought after in most peoples opinions and the the town has done a great job keeping zoning standards high.Love the large lots and feel of Fairview....

Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM

5,951 posts, read 7,490,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I thinknFairview is a great area.The new retail that recently went in was a perfect fit...Whole Foods,Gold Class cinema and all of those eateries.Love Joy ISD is sought after in most peoples opinions and the the town has done a great job keeping zoning standards high.Love the large lots and feel of Fairview....
I agree and was blown away by some of the neighborhoods with the hills and huge trees that reminded me of N NJ well west of NYC but within a longish train commute. I lived in Somerset county in NJ where we have a rural feel from the open land and remaining small farms/ranches.

I swore when I moved to W. Plano that I was not going to move again so probably wont but goodness it is an appealing area to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas