U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM

649 posts, read 932,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Amazingly enough no one is required to actually leave a parking lot even when they get into their vehicle. They could have been waiting for someone else, their children may have needed something that could not wait, their reason for sitting there is their reason and none of your concern.

Could you have parked further away from the door and walked? Since you have no idea what was going on and you think it is funny that they had to wait for you, I don't see them as being the scum you have portrayed them to be.
I think its funny that ANYBODY would put in that much effort not to give up their parking lot just because somebody else chanced upon them leaving at the right time. There are certainly people like this around. In other countries and societies I know (but I haven't encountered this in the US till that incident), and certainly in the same spirit but other scenarios (out of spite), it happens.

I felt my conjecture was pretty solid when they happened to back out right after they saw I got a lot from somebody else. Of course, this could all be a freaky chain of coincidences. Anything is possible. But chances are, I think not.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,778,211 times
I think it likely, as someone else mentioned, that they were looking for directions on their GPS before leaving the spot. Even though we are local people, we don't know ALL of the metroplex. Hubby will GPS the directions to the highway to get us back home or to the next stop. It can take that long because hubby won't fire up the GPS until everyone is buckled up and ready to take off.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM

11,692 posts, read 21,351,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
I think you are making assumptions. With that many kids, who knows what was going on, and most likely it had nothing to do with not wanting someone to have their spot. I know with my family, it can sometimes take time to get situated, there could be an issue with a child, they could have been deciding something or figuring out directions. If I was in that situation, I would wave the car on to an open spot just to be nice and let them know not to keep waiting on us. The timing probably just worked out that the kids were finally ready to get going once you were pulling in.
I agree with this. Unless your partner ACTUALLY overheard the car talking about "screwing over people trying to park in the lot", I think you are doing some big-time ASSuming yourself.

Even with older kids, they could be oblivious to what was going on in the parking lot. Perhaps they were arguing about what radio station to listen to, or mom & dad were lecturing kid's about behavior at dinner, or they were simply figuring out where to go next or perhaps they weren't from the immediate area and were trying to get their bearings before going back to the highway or.... Could be hundreds of explanations and the one you are suggesting is pretty far down the list of possibilities, IMO.

I have never, ever in my life seen the situation you described. I have seen - fairly frequently- people take FOREVER to leave parking places once getting in their car. The most common reasons appear to be cell phones and kids

PS- your post is pretty judgmental in itself. I don't know why they got into an "ugly sedan" matters AT ALL, nor was it necessary to describe their car that way TWICE when writing your post. Not very Midwestern, IMO.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 9,853,598 times
Sorry, but I find the whole original post offensive - beginning with the title - and especially the assumptions obviously made. It really sounds like the OP was looking for a negative experience and would have labelled any interaction with anyone here as such.

'Tis okay NOT to like Dallas, but to attribute such negativity and name-calling to one incident - which, seriously, I find coincidental, not intentional to begin with - then apply that to all of Dallas and its people - really, really reaching.

Just a FYI, if these type small things cause you so much concern, you'll never, ever adjust to - much less survive - the hustle and bustle here on a daily basis!

Also, you seriously do NOT want to send anyone to someone else's car for any reason, much less have them go check to see why they
are not moving out of a parking spot - they, who were well within their rights to sit in their car in the parking space they occupied as long as they wanted to, btw - simply because you might want it!

Texans ARE friendly, but they're definitely not pushovers, either!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-16-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,378,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I also thought Texans were very warm and friendly, more effusively so than Midwesterners but I found them less chatty and friendly than Midwesterners. Maybe I should go back again for another long visit, just to see if its true. I did talk to a nice TX couple in San Antonio at the Riverwalk, they were from the countryside of TX and were tourists like me and initiated a conversation. Other than that, nothing really stood out.
I read some pretty funny posts on this forum and I've got to say, your OP is right up there with some of the stranger ones.

As to the bolded part in your 2nd post, chatty doesn't constitute friendly per se. I'll also add, your attitude seems such that I'm surprised anyone went out of their way to be 'chatty' with you, so I guess you lucked out with the SA couple.

Quote:
Amazingly enough no one is required to actually leave a parking lot even when they get into their vehicle. They could have been waiting for someone else, their children may have needed something that could not wait, their reason for sitting there is their reason and none of your concern.

Could you have parked further away from the door and walked? Since you have no idea what was going on and you think it is funny that they had to wait for you, I don't see them as being the scum you have portrayed them to be.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Of course, this could all be a freaky chain of coincidences. Anything is possible. But chances are, I think not.
At least you admit it COULD be a coincidence. For my part, I think you are entirely too judgmental and jump to your own (want it to be this way) conclusion too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

PS- your post is pretty judgmental in itself. I don't know why they got into an "ugly sedan" matters AT ALL, nor was it necessary to describe their car that way TWICE when writing your post. Not very Midwestern, IMO.
I thought the very same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post

Hey, girl, couldn't have said it any better!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM

1,162 posts, read 746,423 times
Looks like you are still blocking their way to back up the car.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM

6,945 posts, read 9,641,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Sorry, but I find the whole original post offensive - beginning with the title - and especially the assumptions obviously made. It really sounds like the OP was looking for a negative experience and would have labelled any interaction with anyone here as such.

'Tis okay NOT to like Dallas, but to attribute such negativity and name-calling to one incident - which, seriously, I find coincidental, not intentional to begin with - then apply that to all of Dallas and its people - really, really reaching.

Just a FYI, if these type small things cause you so much concern, you'll never, ever adjust to - much less survive - the hustle and bustle here on a daily basis!

Also, you seriously do NOT want to send anyone to someone else's car for any reason, much less have them go check to see why they are not moving out of a parking spot - they, who were well within their rights to sit in their car in the parking space they occupied as long as they wanted to, btw - simply because you might want it!

Good observations. Did you note the user name is sadgirl? Seems life is sad wherever she goes and that depresses me!

Please, sadgirl, cheer up! Most people in Dallas are in a huge hurry and can't afford the time to sit in a car just to irritate someone who might want the space.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 08-16-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 AM

7,367 posts, read 8,206,522 times
Quote:

Wow. That struck a nerve huh?

The hard truth is many people are jerks.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Wow. That struck a nerve huh?

The hard truth is many people are jerks.
This. You think I'd be used to it after being back in DFW for so long, but I'm left aghast in open-mouthed shock at least once a week by how rude/self-centered my fellow north Texans can be. It's astonishing.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

6,945 posts, read 9,641,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. You think I'd be used to it after being back in DFW for so long, but I'm left aghast in open-mouthed shock at least once a week by how rude/self-centered my fellow north Texans can be. It's astonishing.
I have experienced this many times too. But I would be slow to attach a geographical reasoning to it. Seems jerkism has no sense of boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or