U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: North TX by way of MA
108 posts, read 137,265 times
Reputation: 121

Advertisements

Can't believe one year has gone by already. Since I know I used this forum when I was looking to relocate, I figured I would come back and let you know the ups and downs. All in all for me - I like it here. I am not a cold weather person, even though my entire life was in Massachusetts. I will take the heat over the cold in the winter and humid in the summer. I do wish there was more rain down here. It was just my son (now 16) and I (divorced) that made the big move. My daughter (almost 21) has visited a few times and loves it here - hopefully she can get into UT Dallas for her masters! My son - well, different story. He misses his friends and really doesn't want to try - even baseball he just did not want to do down here. We tried MMA (More the boxing side of it) which he really likes and (gasp) even go to the gun range now Hoping as he enters his second (Jr) year of school down here it is smoother and he will get his license soon. Day by day - that's all I can say there. The people are very nice - in stores and such, but am still working on the friends. Tough with working and toting the son to where he needs to go (and taking care of everything else). When I was deciding, many posters said to give it a good year 1/2 to two years to really start feeling like home. I can't see myself moving back and I am positive everything will fall into place. My two cents for those relocating with kids - get them involved in something right away. It can be tougher with the older ones - I wish I had put my foot down on the baseball. Try new things - Dallas is a stone's throw away as is the Rangers/Cowboys stadium (sorry - still root for my Red Soxs and Patriots). An open mind and not always focusing on what you don't have will go a long way in seeing what is positive and what a new place has to offer. If you never try, you never know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
389 posts, read 952,189 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Can't believe one year has gone by already. Since I know I used this forum when I was looking to relocate, I figured I would come back and let you know the ups and downs. All in all for me - I like it here. I am not a cold weather person, even though my entire life was in Massachusetts. I will take the heat over the cold in the winter and humid in the summer. I do wish there was more rain down here. It was just my son (now 16) and I (divorced) that made the big move. My daughter (almost 21) has visited a few times and loves it here - hopefully she can get into UT Dallas for her masters! My son - well, different story. He misses his friends and really doesn't want to try - even baseball he just did not want to do down here. We tried MMA (More the boxing side of it) which he really likes and (gasp) even go to the gun range now Hoping as he enters his second (Jr) year of school down here it is smoother and he will get his license soon. Day by day - that's all I can say there. The people are very nice - in stores and such, but am still working on the friends. Tough with working and toting the son to where he needs to go (and taking care of everything else). When I was deciding, many posters said to give it a good year 1/2 to two years to really start feeling like home. I can't see myself moving back and I am positive everything will fall into place. My two cents for those relocating with kids - get them involved in something right away. It can be tougher with the older ones - I wish I had put my foot down on the baseball. Try new things - Dallas is a stone's throw away as is the Rangers/Cowboys stadium (sorry - still root for my Red Soxs and Patriots). An open mind and not always focusing on what you don't have will go a long way in seeing what is positive and what a new place has to offer. If you never try, you never know
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it. I predict you will eventually become a Dallas Cowboys fan. Even Chris Cristy of New Jersey is a Cowboys fan. What needs to happen, however, is for the Cowboys to trade Jerry Jones!! What a disaster as an owner. Well meaning but he has no business running the business as general manager. I came from Missouri and used to hate Dallas. After a couple of years I was hooked on them and still root for them. Now here in Arkansas where I live Dallas the football team to root for and the St. Louis Cardinals the baseball team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 PM
 
743 posts, read 1,064,169 times
Reputation: 709
Thanks for sharing. Where did you end up living? Where do you commute? How did 105 degrees feel to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM
 
440 posts, read 672,047 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Can't believe one year has gone by already. Since I know I used this forum when I was looking to relocate, I figured I would come back and let you know the ups and downs. All in all for me - I like it here. I am not a cold weather person, even though my entire life was in Massachusetts. I will take the heat over the cold in the winter and humid in the summer. I do wish there was more rain down here. It was just my son (now 16) and I (divorced) that made the big move. My daughter (almost 21) has visited a few times and loves it here - hopefully she can get into UT Dallas for her masters! My son - well, different story. He misses his friends and really doesn't want to try - even baseball he just did not want to do down here. We tried MMA (More the boxing side of it) which he really likes and (gasp) even go to the gun range now Hoping as he enters his second (Jr) year of school down here it is smoother and he will get his license soon. Day by day - that's all I can say there. The people are very nice - in stores and such, but am still working on the friends. Tough with working and toting the son to where he needs to go (and taking care of everything else). When I was deciding, many posters said to give it a good year 1/2 to two years to really start feeling like home. I can't see myself moving back and I am positive everything will fall into place. My two cents for those relocating with kids - get them involved in something right away. It can be tougher with the older ones - I wish I had put my foot down on the baseball. Try new things - Dallas is a stone's throw away as is the Rangers/Cowboys stadium (sorry - still root for my Red Soxs and Patriots). An open mind and not always focusing on what you don't have will go a long way in seeing what is positive and what a new place has to offer. If you never try, you never know


THis^^^ is so true

We too moved about a year ago from MA-love Texas and have never looked back-4 kids ( 3 teens-1 kiddie) have settled in really well and made many many friends-particulary my oldest whom is LD and never had any true friends up north ...I have never seen her so happy. We love our schools and I have made more friends here in 12 mths than I ever did in MA. At first I found it odd that everyone was so nice....used to the reserved culture I experienced in Boston. I dislike the cold immensely and shoveling through endless snow storms so the heat has been great-reminds me of my homeland...My hubby's commute is now about 10mins including coffee stop. I enjoyed living up North but I had also had enough of it-it was time for a change..we have no real family up there so it wasn't a big deal family ties wise.
All in all I would do it all again in a heartbeat..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
5,681 posts, read 9,680,473 times
Reputation: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
What needs to happen, however, is for the Cowboys to trade Jerry Jones!!
HA HA - Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 PM
 
974 posts, read 1,761,745 times
Reputation: 780
Just wait, your son will find is niche'... maybe even a cute Texas girlfriend to help him transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM
 
2,206 posts, read 3,797,992 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Just wait, your son will find is niche'... maybe even a cute Texas girlfriend to help him transition.

Yep..tell him to play up the MA thing - makes him interesting to the girls..

That age is hard on boys unless they are in sports.

Do you belong to a church - a lot of them have youth programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,055 posts, read 4,436,159 times
Reputation: 4617
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Can't believe one year has gone by already. Since I know I used this forum when I was looking to relocate, I figured I would come back and let you know the ups and downs. All in all for me - I like it here. I am not a cold weather person, even though my entire life was in Massachusetts. I will take the heat over the cold in the winter and humid in the summer. I do wish there was more rain down here. It was just my son (now 16) and I (divorced) that made the big move. My daughter (almost 21) has visited a few times and loves it here - hopefully she can get into UT Dallas for her masters! My son - well, different story. He misses his friends and really doesn't want to try - even baseball he just did not want to do down here. We tried MMA (More the boxing side of it) which he really likes and (gasp) even go to the gun range now Hoping as he enters his second (Jr) year of school down here it is smoother and he will get his license soon. Day by day - that's all I can say there. The people are very nice - in stores and such, but am still working on the friends. Tough with working and toting the son to where he needs to go (and taking care of everything else). When I was deciding, many posters said to give it a good year 1/2 to two years to really start feeling like home. I can't see myself moving back and I am positive everything will fall into place. My two cents for those relocating with kids - get them involved in something right away. It can be tougher with the older ones - I wish I had put my foot down on the baseball. Try new things - Dallas is a stone's throw away as is the Rangers/Cowboys stadium (sorry - still root for my Red Soxs and Patriots). An open mind and not always focusing on what you don't have will go a long way in seeing what is positive and what a new place has to offer. If you never try, you never know
TXbound2011: Thanks so much for getting back to us. We hardly ever get any follow up from posters. I think you were the one who moved to Flower Mound from Plymouth/Carver area if I remember correctly? I'm interested in knowing more about your son's experience. I know most of FM are transplants from outside Texas. Sports at 5A schools are ultra competitive. It's like trying to make the football team at Brockton. On the social side, I could be wrong, but since that area is growing so much, I would think there would be a lot of "new kids" in school. The positive thing is that in large high schools, there's usually something for everyone.

I agree with the previous poster that he should play up the Boston thing. It worked for me in meeting new people, but I'm not in high school anymore.

I'm from MA, and have been here in Texas (San Antonio) for seven years, and still root for Boston teams. I am a Spurs fan. I call them my favorite Western Conference team. This past summer, at my parent's cottage in Yarmouth, I was probably the only person on the Cape cussing up a storm as I watched the Spurs blow a five point lead with 24 seconds left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 PM
 
Location: North TX by way of MA
108 posts, read 137,265 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Thanks for sharing. Where did you end up living? Where do you commute? How did 105 degrees feel to you?
Flower Mound is where we landed - I love this area, everything is here. My commute is about 30 minutes West, but a very easy one on most days. And as for the temps, it is not as crazy as it sounds. When it gets that high, usually the humidity & dew points are lower so it is hot, but I still would take the 105 versus a New England 80 or so degrees and the high humidity/dewpoints that make you sweat as soon as you step outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: North TX by way of MA
108 posts, read 137,265 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
TXbound2011: Thanks so much for getting back to us. We hardly ever get any follow up from posters. I think you were the one who moved to Flower Mound from Plymouth/Carver area if I remember correctly? I'm interested in knowing more about your son's experience. I know most of FM are transplants from outside Texas. Sports at 5A schools are ultra competitive. It's like trying to make the football team at Brockton. On the social side, I could be wrong, but since that area is growing so much, I would think there would be a lot of "new kids" in school. The positive thing is that in large high schools, there's usually something for everyone.

I agree with the previous poster that he should play up the Boston thing. It worked for me in meeting new people, but I'm not in high school anymore.

I'm from MA, and have been here in Texas (San Antonio) for seven years, and still root for Boston teams. I am a Spurs fan. I call them my favorite Western Conference team. This past summer, at my parent's cottage in Yarmouth, I was probably the only person on the Cape cussing up a storm as I watched the Spurs blow a five point lead with 24 seconds left.
Funny you should say Brockton - my high School was New Bedford - the good ol' Big 3 (at least you didn't say Durfee ) At 16, parents dont know anything. THe one thing he gets frustrated with is that there are so many kids that just are spoiled and get anything since their parents can afford it and his words are "snobby". Hoping that the second year there he sees it in a different light. The options they have at the school are terrific and the teachers are very supportive. You are right so many transplants that they have an orientation just for transplants. He has to find his way with me guiding him (or giving a bit of a kick in the ...well you know where) along the way. For those wondering the difference in kids (his words) the kids all want to do well and succeed and many have goals. They dont mind being pushed and and taking the easy road - I can tell you where we came from on the southcoast of MA...that is not the case!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top