U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM

254 posts, read 234,098 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some help from some of the artists on these pages. My wife and I currently students in the Southern California area. I am working on Ph.D. in School Psychology and she is working on her Bachelor's in Art. Being originally from Texas, we are looking to move back to the Dallas area when we finish (two years). My question is the likelihood of my wife finding a job in the art field. My main concern is that we want to buy a home pretty soon after moving to Texas. We were originally talking about her going into teaching. I made a lot of plans around what seemed to be the average teaching salary in the Dallas area and now that she wants to go into a more art related career I am worried that we can't count on that salary when we first moved. Is the art field growing enough that I shouldn't worry about her getting a job that pays as much as being a teacher? To be honest, my opinions are mainly based on the "starving artist" stereotype and I am really hoping that I am completely wrong. I would love for her to get a job that she loves in the art field, but we have our heart set on getting a home when we move. Our hopeful home budget is $250,000. Am I worrying for no reason? Please say yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,454,861 times
Sorry to be a Downer, but I would be a little worried. I know a lot of art history/graphic design/animation/RTVF majors. Almost none of them are finding jobs related to their majors. UNT and SMU put out a lot of local Art Majors, and even most museum intern jobs are highly competitive, and rarely compensated. I have a few friends working part time at furniture stores selling art, that supplements their income pretty well, but none doing art full time. Teaching jobs are also hard to find, and will almost certainly determine where you live, if you find one.

$250k is healthy for DFW, but not really high enough for a single family home in the artsy areas.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM

974 posts, read 1,764,381 times
Some folks I've met who were art majors wound up working in advertising either freelance or contract basis. Some had full-time jobs working in jobs where a staff artist was needed for design & layout such as in commercial print houses, for magazines, books, etc. Dallas has a pretty good advertising agency scene but it's competitive as far as jobs go.

Seems like most of the "artists" I've met supported themselves a variety of ways (i.e. teaching, freelance, portraiture, studio, commissioned work, murals, etc.). Some had developed a promotable niche' (take mural painting as an example). RonnieinDallas is right about the area being chock full of art grads from the colleges/universities. And there's even the Art Institute of Dallas which attracts its share of art majors. Big city lights will even attract grads from the surrounding smaller schools.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,346,176 times
Arts jobs are few and far between here. Most people here who have an arts background use their creativity in marketing and advertising jobs.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,803,198 times
Is she into web design or Web 2.0 projects? I hired two art majors for our "look and feel" and flash projects. Not hiring now, but that is another area to look at.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,834,298 times
...and the ones who get the jobs seem to be very well-connected...

Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM

As far as where we are looking to live, we are actually looking to live in the suburbs (Rockwall/Forney area). I spent most of my childhood in Josephine and Rockwall was always a one of my favorite places to be.

Speaking of art, she actually really enjoys web design. It's all very foreign to me, but she really likes working with flash. So being well-versed in web design might help?

When I lived in Texas, Austin was the more artsy area, but I'm hoping we won't have to sacrifice the area that we really want to live in so she can find a job she enjoys.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM

9,522 posts, read 19,572,551 times
If you grew up in Rockwall, you will be shocked at it now. It's nothing like it was even 30 years ago! It is a great place to live, but do be aware that the commute into Dallas from there is through very heavy traffic.

A good friend of mine used to be one of the curators at DMA. She worked at the Smithsonian before and after, so needless to say, she was pretty well connected in the art world...

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM

ChristieP - My wife is very interested to know what was the first step to get into the Smithsonian?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM

9,522 posts, read 19,572,551 times
I can ask my friend... She used to live in NoVA so that probably helped...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas