U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,701 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job offer in the Dallas area and ready to make the big move in a few weeks..Will be living with my boyfriend who has already found an apartment for us there. I visited the Dallas area a few times already hoping to get a feel for my new city but was only able to see a few parts of it. I'll be working close to Downtown but we will both live in Garland.

Moving from the Phoenix area will be a bit of a change especially climate-wise and this is 1 of my big concerns.

My boyfriend has assured me I will get used to the humidity but when I was there this summer it was not only humid but very hot, probably just as hot as Phoenix temperature-wise, in the 100's. So is it normal to have a whole summer of temperatures in the 100's with lots of humidity? I'm used to a dry kind of heat and 100's don't bother me all that much except when it's 112,115, and higher like in PHX many times.

I know it rains a-lot there but is there a definite rainy season and dry season?

Are snakes a problem? My boyfriend assures me they won't be seen unless I look for them but I heard once about a hurricane that blew through parts of TX and brought poisonous snakes from the wetlands into the urban areas because of all the flooding..Can this really happen?

I'lll be driving to work in rush hour, I know traffic is an issue in the area but how does it rank compared to Phoenix? Dallas and Phoenix are about the same size city-wise but I know the Dallas metropolitan area is bigger because it includes Fort Worth and more suburbs so I'm guessing it would be more congested.

One last thing, and I don't want to be flamed or treated like I'm silly for asking this, but I heard Texans love their pickup trucks and big ones at that. I drive a small economy car, don't drive too fast but I sometimes exceed the speed limits if safe enough, I try to stay in the middle or right lane on the freeway. Are people in Dallas in love with big trucks and do they drive aggressive? I'm wondering this because we have enough of the aggressive big-truck drivers in AZ that cut you off if you're not driving at least 20 over the limit.. I hate those morons so will I be expecting the same thing in the Dallas area?

Thanks for the help.
~Robin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,102 times
Hi Robin,
Pre-Welcome to Texas!
So many concerns!
I was born and raised in Garland and have lived within a 15 mile radius of Garland my whole life!
I stay sane by traveling A LOT! I'm on the road every couple of weeks for work. I've been to PHX many times!
Ok, so you should be happy to know that all your worries are totally non-issues.
Weather... It's HOT. The humidity is not as bad here as elsewhere and the good news is that your skin doesn't generally feel dry Yay! You should stay young looking longer! Well, unless you totally fall prey to the fried foods at the State Fair.
Seriously, I feel we have a pretty good climate with a mild, itty bitty winter and a stretch of hot days. I think we have had 20 100+ days this year, which is average. Don't worry about the heat. The severe storms are are a more logical fear.
Most of my new to Texas friends like the storms, until their car gets pummelled by hail.
Having said that, I have only had ONE incident where my car was damaged in 33 years of driving.
I would not say that we have a huge rainy season, but will say it is more likely to rain in non-summer months.
I would not say we get "a lot" of rain. I wish we got more!

Dallas traffic: Rush hour SUCKS! BUT, compared to many cities I visit, it's actually not so bad. Living in Garland, you will have many route options and you will find a route that works for you. I worked clear on the other side of Dallas and it too 35 minutes, no matter how bad the traffic was... because I always had an alternate route. Hopefully you won't be working far. If you picked Garland, I hope you will be working in Richardson or Plano. If you are, no sweat!

Snakes: It is likely you will never see a snake in town. Don't go down into creeks or wade in ponds... you may see them there. Again, I have lived here 50 years and really never recall seeing a snake in town.
Trucks: I would say Texas is similar to PHX. Lots of trucks. I had trucks for years. Now I drive a Honda Fit. My 4th small car. Garland/Richardson are not particularly aggressive as far as driving is concerned.
Plano, Frisco and McKinney are full of jerks driving like entitled brats. I suppose it's just like anywhere else.
If you are moving near 190/Bush Turnpike, you are lucky. I live just off the turnpike and it is just wonderful.
Clean, safe and huge. I use it as often as possible, even though it's expensive.
Let me know if you have any questions. I know this area like the back of my hand!
~ Laura

Old 08-20-2013, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 8,701 times
Thanks Laura for the responses.

Dry heat is easier for me to take comfort-wise than humid heat but you're right about the added moisture being good for the skin. Our apartment in Garland is fully air-conditioned so I guess we'll be spending a-lot of indoor time in the summer.

Severe storms..I know TX gets them more than AZ does but are they mostly in the spring months? Are tornadoes common in the Dallas area like they are in Oklahoma?

Heavy rush hour traffic concerns me because the distance from Garland to my work near Downtown looks like I'll be spending a fairly good amount of time in my car. I test-drove the shortest route from the apartment to my office last time I was there and it didn't seem that long of a drive but it was during a lighter traffic time.

I'm going to be brutally honest about 1 thing, I don't like big pickup trucks because most of them seem to have aggressive idiots behind the wheel, cutting off other drivers and tailgating. I hate that! Then there's the parking issue, they often park crooked in spaces leaving little room to see around or back out. The bad part is I'm moving from an area that has lots of these trucks to another area that has lots of these trucks so I hope I'll be all right driving.. I'm not a slow granny driver but I refuse to be a speed-demon.

But on the bright side I'll be with my boyfriend soon where we'll continue with our lives. We both like the higher pay we'll be earning in Dallas versus Phoenix, and cost of living looks to be more reasonable there too. AZ has some pretty steep sales taxes and outrageous car license fees.

Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,301,003 times
I dont find the amount of pickups overwhelming here. It didnt seem like there was much of a difference between here and Arizona in that. Maybe thats just in the city.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM

170 posts, read 211,451 times
I don't find the pickup drivers are any more aggressive than other drivers. I spent 20 years in Atlanta and I thought there were aggressive drivers there. At least there they look before they cut you off so you can kind of get prepared, here, not so much. The only pickups I've seen taking up two spaces are the dualies (sp).

Traffic is bad during rush hour so it helps if you can work earlier/later. Saying that, I don't think the traffic is nearly as bad here as in Atlanta for example. I've only visited Phoenix once and it was last summer when it was 118 degrees. I personally didn't see the difference everyone talks about with dry heat. Hot is hot and even though I might have been slightly less sticky, I was still hot. I just stay in the AC as much as possible. DFW doesn't seem as humid to me as Houston or Alabama/Georgia.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM

5,958 posts, read 7,502,191 times
There is a recent study published claiming BWM drivers were the most aggressive and more likely to get into a road rage situation than others. BWM's everywhere but seem more like a Ca image thing that a Tx thing

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,964,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
There is a recent study published claiming BWM drivers were the most aggressive and more likely to get into a road rage situation than others. BWM's everywhere but seem more like a Ca image thing that a Tx thing
LOL, do you have a source for that? Based on my (very much) anecdotal evidence the most reckless drivers tend to be the Beemer/Infiniti crowd, but how could you quantify that?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
Here you go:

BMW drivers really are the most aggressive drivers and more prone to road rage when they get behind the wheel | Mail Online

And another one:

http://theweek.com/article/index/248...-biggest-jerks

Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,926,107 times
OP...if you felt like giving us an intersection close to where you'll be living and close to where you'll be working, I bet many of us can give you several different routes that will help with the traffic. I live in Mesquite and know that I-30 can REALLY suck in the mornings...some days you get lucky but most days, you wonder what the heck is going on. I take a southerly route on some main thoroughfares and miss that mess...I may catch a few school zones but it's still infinitely better than the stop and go of highway traffic. I always think of the opening scene in Office Space...it's enough to drive you insane! Keep the route interesting and you should be fine.

Also, people tend to be agressive here but there's also a lot of folks who aren't that way...if you're slower, keep right. If you're faster, move left and then back to right. I've noticed that a lot of really slow drivers like to stay in the left lane and slow down the rest of us...I hope this is not you, as you mentioned you move right. You'll find your groove, don't worry.

Don't worry about snakes or tornadoes. Easy for me to say, right? Seriously though, those things are not a concern most of the time...as far as the humidity? Well, go swimming in your apartment complex pool and you'll be just fine. Enjoy...let us know how you're settling in...WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofPHX View Post
Thanks Laura for the responses.

Dry heat is easier for me to take comfort-wise than humid heat but you're right about the added moisture being good for the skin. Our apartment in Garland is fully air-conditioned so I guess we'll be spending a-lot of indoor time in the summer.

Severe storms..I know TX gets them more than AZ does but are they mostly in the spring months? Are tornadoes common in the Dallas area like they are in Oklahoma?

Heavy rush hour traffic concerns me because the distance from Garland to my work near Downtown looks like I'll be spending a fairly good amount of time in my car. I test-drove the shortest route from the apartment to my office last time I was there and it didn't seem that long of a drive but it was during a lighter traffic time.

I'm going to be brutally honest about 1 thing, I don't like big pickup trucks because most of them seem to have aggressive idiots behind the wheel, cutting off other drivers and tailgating. I hate that! Then there's the parking issue, they often park crooked in spaces leaving little room to see around or back out. The bad part is I'm moving from an area that has lots of these trucks to another area that has lots of these trucks so I hope I'll be all right driving.. I'm not a slow granny driver but I refuse to be a speed-demon.

But on the bright side I'll be with my boyfriend soon where we'll continue with our lives. We both like the higher pay we'll be earning in Dallas versus Phoenix, and cost of living looks to be more reasonable there too. AZ has some pretty steep sales taxes and outrageous car license fees.

Thanks again.
Curious, if you're really worried about traffic, what made you choose Garland?

It's not one of the far out suburbs, but there are tons of really nice areas in-between Garland and Downtown Dallas that you could have choose. Even DT Dallas is becoming a really great active place to be.

Have you signed a lease yet?

If not, maybe look into DT Dallas, East Dallas, Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Uptown, or Knox Henderson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or