Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 25,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Agreed, I know many more single parents that are much more fit at raising children than some couples......
All I know is that to actually have a child alone BY HER OWN CHOICE, she wanted her kids tons more than most moms I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM

I don't necessarily want to live around other gay people. Just a respectful community –*we keep to ourselves.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepin14 View Post
I don't necessarily want to live around other gay people. Just a respectful community –*we keep to ourselves.
Really, you shouldnt have any problems in Dallas are the suburbs. The only place where it may be more of an issue is when you get out into the exurbs and small towns outside the main urban/suburban areas. I did know a gay couple that put their kids in Plano ISD and lived in Plano. They had no problems, they were accepted, their kids were accepted, and barring a couple of looks at the grocery store had no problems whatsoever.

They moved to Van Alstyne, a small town 20 miles north of McKinney and they have had some problems with discrimination, dirty looks, and comments. That said, they do say their neighbors are welcoming of them.

All in all, I think thats pretty much the rule in places like Dallas. The closer you get to the urban and suburban areas, the less people will care about things like two moms/dads raising a family. When you get out into the country, thats a different story.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Blinkyman: tolerant meaning "not the moronic kneejerk bigots Texans are often portrayed to be on the national stage." You're over-thinking this.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
^This.

Schools aren't great in the affordable parts of Dallas, and you'll have to go way out to find acreage. Also, agree that Lake Highlands is where most lesbians with families are living.
I'll tell the ladies next door to me in 75007 this. I am sure they will move right away.

As for the OP, the younger the crowd, the more tolerant. This means the newer suburbs or the older areas of Dallas that are seeing in-fill by younger couples. Legacy, Austin Ranch, Uptown, and Flower Mound come to mind.

As for adoption. I am a former foster parent and while CPS is just fine with non-traditional couples, adoption is a VERY HARD road to travel. Myself and other couples experienced a lot of heartbreak with this. I would not recommend it for your first child.

I would think about raising your own kids from conception as the first choice. And then look into adopting younger siblings once you know parenting is for you and yours.

Last edited by TX75007; 08-20-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I'll tell the ladies next door to me in 75007 this. I am sure they will move right away.
I'm sure they already know that Lake Highlands is a popular neighborhood for lesbians, nothing new:

Most affordable gay neighborhoods - Jun. 19, 2012

Plus, it was just a suggestion. I didn't say EVERY one has to live there.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone! Your answers have told me what I already know – we won't have many problems if we're close to the city, but all in all I do feel better do have it reiterated.

If we do live a little further out (acreage), it'll be down the road several years and I'll hopefully have made friends from all around the area and not *have to* have much to do with my neighbors that don't approve. Even living back in MS we didn't get comments because we don't do much to give anyone the chance to comment on as we are mostly, now, either only together at home or out in the "city" anyway.

Now, if by 2015 (when we hope to move) we feel comfortable with the outlook legally – mostly concerning being able to adopt together (from foster care ideally) and things like being her next of kin, we'll be there with bells on!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I'm sure they already know that Lake Highlands is a popular neighborhood for lesbians, nothing new:

Most affordable gay neighborhoods - Jun. 19, 2012

Plus, it was just a suggestion. I didn't say EVERY one has to live there.
And thanks for that suggestion! I think it would be good for us to get a starter home in a friendly neighborhood for the first few years.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
FWIW: I have a female cousin who has a female "life-partner" and they have raised 3 kids....the last finishing high school soon. The irony is they took over the kids from distant non-blood relatives whose grandparents asked them if they would help because the married hetero-sexual biological parents (two sets) were either too dysfunctional / immature OR messed up on drugs to provide adequate care. They gave these kids a chance when they would've wound up either in foster care or worse... staying with the messed up parents and becoming clones of the same. Two are grown up...one in college, the other in the military and doing pretty good. The third is slogging it through Jr. yr in HS.

There are some folks who will say things when they see this but...and I truly believe this... well behaved kids in public make all the difference in the world and it doesn't matter if they are raised by circus clowns or lesbians... I really don't think you'll have any issues in Dallas. Maybe it's just the people I know and hang with but I seriously doubt you'll need to worry about this too much.

Good luck to you both!

P.S. Ask around about LoriLand.... when looking for a neighborhood. Seems a Dallas realtor named Lori was famous with the gay community in hooking folks up with houses in gay-friendly areas.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
FWIW: I have a female cousin who has a female "life-partner" and they have raised 3 kids....the last finishing high school soon. The irony is they took over the kids from distant non-blood relatives whose grandparents asked them if they would help because the married hetero-sexual biological parents (two sets) were either too dysfunctional / immature OR messed up on drugs to provide adequate care. They gave these kids a chance when they would've wound up either in foster care or worse... staying with the messed up parents and becoming clones of the same. Two are grown up...one in college, the other in the military and doing pretty good. The third is slogging it through Jr. yr in HS.

There are some folks who will say things when they see this but...and I truly believe this... well behaved kids in public make all the difference in the world and it doesn't matter if they are raised by circus clowns or lesbians... I really don't think you'll have any issues in Dallas. Maybe it's just the people I know and hang with but I seriously doubt you'll need to worry about this too much.

Good luck to you both!

P.S. Ask around about LoriLand.... when looking for a neighborhood. Seems a Dallas realtor named Lori was famous with the gay community in hooking folks up with houses in gay-friendly areas.
Thanks so much, BeenThereDunThat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas