Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 25,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I would find it unlikely that you would have any serious problems here. There's always someone who will have a problem with it but I doubt that they voice anything.
Truth, truth - someone will always have a problem. As long as they don't see it as their personal mission to "fix" or sabotage me, we're all good. And I love your status and location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
. Also, many of the inner ring suburbs are more multi culture per capita than Dallas is. The exposure to different types of types of people creates more tolerence. Granted, DFW has subrubs ranging from slightly left of center to extremely conservative so it does depend.

The exurbs and rural towns have little to no exposure to homosexuals and dont have many transplants. It makes it harder in those communities for those reasons.
Well...no. It really depends.

When I was part of an interracial couple, we got the worst reception from her community and from the older inner ring residents - who tended to be Libs. My redneck friends from the rural areas and our younger friends in the suburbs had no issues.

A blood relative is gay and lives in DFW. He sees the same thing and I have observed this. My wife has a blood relative who is still in the closet with her older relatives. These older relatives are major players in the TX Democratic Party. Both of our gay relatives are active in the TX GOP. Go figure.

There are pockets of intolerance. They tend to cluster around the larger churches - both the AME and Baptist ones.

The best way I have to judge the level of tolerance is to visit an IHOP on Sat/Sunday around noon and see who is there eating. The ones between PGBT and 121 from 75 to DFW are about as diverse as I have ever seen.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the age of the person and whether they value people first.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

100 posts, read 282,438 times
PS Why is Texas only ok?[/quote]

I was born and raised in Texas, lived here most of my 44 years on earth. However, I much prefer places that are pretty. I have also lived in CO CA and OR, and would prefer any of them to Texas (I'm stuck here because my husband has kids). When I was in Oregon and found out I had to move back to Texas, many people were making comments about how lcuky I was to be moving, how great Texas is, etc. I said- have you looked out your window? Go ahead look....see all those trees, mountains, greenery, coastline, etc? We have NONE of that. Texas is not great, it is only ok.
So there ya go
Oh, and then there are the issues of G-dub and RP- what embarassments!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas is only OK View Post
I was born and raised in Texas, lived here most of my 44 years on earth. However, I much prefer places that are pretty. I have also lived in CO CA and OR, and would prefer any of them to Texas (I'm stuck here because my husband has kids). When I was in Oregon and found out I had to move back to Texas, many people were making comments about how lcuky I was to be moving, how great Texas is, etc. I said- have you looked out your window? Go ahead look....see all those trees, mountains, greenery, coastline, etc? We have NONE of that.
We just returned from a trip to OR (I went to school out there many moons ago). Standing 6.5K feet up on Mt. Hood just above Timberline Lodge, looking out at the hills and Mt. Jefferson in the distance...and then realizing that I had to return to DFW the next day...let's say I feel your pain.

DFW has its plusses and has some areas that look a little pretty, but overall "scenic beauty" is not an attraction here.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
We just returned from a trip to OR (I went to school out there many moons ago). Standing 6.5K feet up on Mt. Hood just above Timberline Lodge, looking out at the hills and Mt. Jefferson in the distance...and then realizing that I had to return to DFW the next day...let's say I feel your pain.

DFW has its plusses and has some areas that look a little pretty, but overall "scenic beauty" is not an attraction here.
Having lived in the "scenic beauty" of Oregon, let's say that it's over-rated (never mind the months of endless drizzle that left me suicidal). For those of us who work all day and then go home and work some more, and then spend the weekends doing chores and errands, there's very little time to deal with "scenic beauty". Sure, it was nice to look out the window at Mt. Hood on occasion, but in the 30+ years I was in Portland from birth to departure, I only ever went there once.

You have to find a place in which you feel secure personally and economically, because home and work constitute the overwhelming majority of your life. The frills like a pretty mountain or ocean out there in the distance are just that - frills. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas