U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM

19 posts, read 21,882 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I'm a woman from the South living in Minnesota. As a lesbian couple in our 20's, planning to get married soon, it's a great place to live right now. The economy is great here but the weather, housing costs, and culture have us thinking about relocating before settling down to start our family.

(We want to adopt in the next few years and I realize there may be issues doing that in Texas, so we may do that *before* moving either way, that's not what I want to ask about today.)

What I'd really like to know is how is it to actually raise a family there, more specifically as a lesbian couple. A part of our Southern culture is to speak our minds and I don't want my kids to get crap all of their lives because of me.

I realize that the closer to Dallas you are, the more socially liberal it is. I would like to own a little bit of land outside of town and realize that may cause more issues.

If you have any ideas or input about giving my children a good life (even if there's a better place in TX to do so), I'm open to your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM

631 posts, read 567,967 times
point-blank, Texas is far more tolerant than it's portrayed to be nationally, and not simply because "Dallas is liberal" (it's not). Not knowing which *part* of the South you hail from (let's face it, Memphis and Tallahassee aren't exactly the same critters), hard to vouch in terms of the personality issues, but I would not consider it a dealbreaker by any stretch.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-20-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM

178 posts, read 315,420 times
No one will care. Seriously. Not even in the suburbs. Relax.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,402,152 times
I don't personally know an lesbian couples with children, but I think unfortunately there will always be some prejudice towards the idea/life style/etc. Honestly people shouldn't bother you, and it seems to be more and more widely excepted throughout the country. Your best spot in "Dallas" would be around the Oak Lawn/Ceder Springs area as it is commonly referred to as the "gayborhood". You will find the most open acceptance to same sex parenting in this area. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM

743 posts, read 1,066,713 times
"A little bit of land" often means way the heck out there. Dallas isn't much (if any) cheaper than Minneapolis. To get affordability you will be a lot closer to the 'small minded' places.

FWIW Lake Highlands seems to be the most popular neighborhood for lesbians with kids.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,458,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
"A little bit of land" often means way the heck out there. Dallas isn't much (if any) cheaper than Minneapolis. To get affordability you will be a lot closer to the 'small minded' places.

FWIW Lake Highlands seems to be the most popular neighborhood for lesbians with kids.
^This.

Schools aren't great in the affordable parts of Dallas, and you'll have to go way out to find acreage. Also, agree that Lake Highlands is where most lesbians with families are living.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
point-blank, Texas is far more tolerant than it's portrayed to be nationally, and not simply because "Dallas is liberal" (it's not). Not knowing which *part* of the South you hail from (let's face it, Memphis and Tallahassee aren't exactly the same critters), hard to vouch in terms of the personality issues, but I would not consider it a dealbreaker by any stretch.
Yeah, I'm not going on Texas stereotypes. I'm just going on what I'm from (North Mississippi)/what I don't want to go back to. I'm only socially liberal because I really just don't care what other people do, but tend to be just a bit more conservative fiscally. MN is one of the highest-taxing states and you're taking over half a million just for a home with some breathing room here.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

170 posts, read 212,453 times
I don't have firsthand experience, but I know a couple. They live in a small town somewhere outside McKinney. Their biggest complaint was finding a preschool that was receptive/nice. They do travel to Dallas for church as there is one closer to town that is accepting. They also had a bit of a struggle finding a fertility doctor as they went that route. I think they said they did second parent adoption here, but I'm not 100% sure.

My experience is different in that I'm a straight single mom by choice. I had 2 of my 3 in Atlanta and had very few issues there. I had my third while living in Birmingham and it was a little more interesting. I would get shocked looks when someone would ask about the kids Dad and I told them they didn't have one. The thing I can tell you is that people will ask questions, particularly kids. My kids are constantly quized about where their Dad is? They are also told that it is impossible that they don't have a dad :-) We haven't had any real issues in DFW from adults. I've always told my kids that there are all kinds of families and the important thing is they have a family who loves them, no matter the composition.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Kudos to being a single mom by choice! Thanks for the input!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,402,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepin14 View Post
Kudos to being a single mom by choice! Thanks for the input!
Agreed, I know many more single parents that are much more fit at raising children than some couples......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or