Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervegas View Post
Aren't India and Pakistan technically in Asia? Its not just China, Korea, Vietnam, and Japan. I feel that's probably why percentages seem high. Sounds about right to me.
Yes, I am also sick of people saying that Indians aren't Asians. Indians are a subset of Asians. Israeli's are a subset of Asians too (As Israel is technically on the continent of Asia), but you also never hear people refer to Israeli's as Asian (although I believe Israel competes in the Pan-Asian Games, which are basically mini Olympics only for the Asian continent).

Another city with growing Asian population, especially Indians, is Murphy. Every Indian I talk to never knows the city I live in (Wylie), but I mention Murphy and they light up with recognitition (And then I tell Wylie is the city just east of Murphy).

I think I saw the 2010 census and it showed that there is a good number of Asians in Murphy.

Some parts of the metro have no Asians whatsoever. You'd never believe these stats if you hung around South Dallas, East Dallas, Mesquite, Duncanville, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
I recall my ex wife going to east Richardson to Asian markets to get wraps to make Pot Stickers (dumplings). I've never been to the marketplace on Legacy and 75 but saw that it was hopping all the time. The closer you get to 75 the more Asian stuff you're going to find. I'm sure it's all good and authentic. Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Kind of a tangent here, but - does anyone know of any Asian bakeries or stores that sell the steamed buns in the Metroplex? They're like big, pillowy yeast rolls with savory or sweet fillings. Sheer heaven! We can find some frozen ones in a local Asian market where we currently live, but loved the fresh ones we could get when visiting bakeries in Seattle (and even Atlanta)!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I believe both DFW and Houston has significant Asian populations. I havent looked up the stats but the 6% number doesnt seems out of line to me. I help engineers and geoscientist find new jobs. I have worked with Asians located in other cities looking to change to a DFW or Houston company because of the higher potential for Asian friends and support groups. Plano specifically is where a Vietnamese couple wanted to move to from Oklahoma or this reason. Where I lived before Plano, in the energy corridor of Houston, we had many Asian neighbors, my estimate would be our neighborhood was around 20-30% Asian.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Some parts of the metro have no Asians whatsoever. You'd never believe these stats if you hung around South Dallas, East Dallas, Mesquite, Duncanville, etc.
Yeah, is there even a single Indian restaurant south of the Trinity? I'm sure there must be but there's certainly not a lot of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM

212 posts, read 459,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Kind of a tangent here, but - does anyone know of any Asian bakeries or stores that sell the steamed buns in the Metroplex? They're like big, pillowy yeast rolls with savory or sweet fillings. Sheer heaven! We can find some frozen ones in a local Asian market where we currently live, but loved the fresh ones we could get when visiting bakeries in Seattle (and even Atlanta)!
You can buy the steamed buns during dim sum at Kirin Court in Richardson or at JS Chen's off Legacy in Plano.

If you are looking for baked buns, would try Royal Bakery in the Asia World Supermarket off 75 and Legacy.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
I recall my ex wife going to east Richardson to Asian markets to get wraps to make Pot Stickers (dumplings). I've never been to the marketplace on Legacy and 75 but saw that it was hopping all the time. The closer you get to 75 the more Asian stuff you're going to find. I'm sure it's all good and authentic. Enjoy!
I REALLY need to get out that way. Need more ingredients for Thai food, and might even make some of my own dumplings/potstickers/peking ravioli/gyoza/did-I-miss-a-name-for-them?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM

96 posts, read 203,886 times
There's also a Ranch 99 Market at 75 & Spring Creek. It a full asian supermaket with bakery and hot food and sushi too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas