U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM

5,276 posts, read 7,207,631 times

Advertisements

DART Marks 30th Anniversary - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,450,084 times
Wow! Great video!

DART is older than me, happy 30th!

Hopefully in the next 30 years the streetcar plans are extended so all the historic lines are up and running.
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...da882a2f7e7baa
Then maybe even another subway line

Old 08-22-2013, 04:56 PM

5,276 posts, read 7,207,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Wow! Great video!

Hopefully in the next 30 years the streetcar plans are extended so all the historic lines are up and running.
I would loveeeeeee to see the streetcar system like this again.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM

287 posts, read 301,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Wow! Great video!

That plus all the interurbans we used to have. Dang, how transport system was so good back then.

Also, idk about y'all but I would really want to see a circle line along loop 12 connected all the lines, and to extend the red line south.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,450,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
That plus all the interurbans we used to have. Dang, how transport system was so good back then.

Also, idk about y'all but I would really want to see a circle line along loop 12 connected all the lines, and to extend the red line south.

I would love to see the street cars back with longer hours to serve the nightlife crowds. I think you would see a serious reduction in drunk driving and more people moving into town. Although, the trend of moving into town will happen regardless, but this would still reduce the number of cars on the roads and improve walkability and urban living. Plus streetcars are just cool!

I think I've read somewhere that the OCTA Oak Cliff Transit Authority is try to buy back some of the old ones and restore them. If MATA can run on volunteers, it would be nice to see a few neighborhoods come together to do the same.

Long history of Rail and Transit Oriented Development in Dallas. Rail is what made Dallas grow originally not highways and sprawl. History:
Railways, Dallas County, Texas

Old Dallas Streetcar

Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,964,639 times
Dallas hands down has the best mass transit system in the state of Texas. I can't wait until they open the line going to DFW. Then I can walk across the street, board the station, and arrive at the terminal and be on my way.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM

3,029 posts, read 6,916,165 times
I remember seeing and riding on the electric buses in and around downtown Dallas. Sparks flying everywhere overhead where there was a huge mass of wires over the streets. My mother used to tell me how she loved to ride on the interurban cars back in the '30s.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,677,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Dallas hands down has the best mass transit system in the state of Texas. I can't wait until they open the line going to DFW. Then I can walk across the street, board the station, and arrive at the terminal and be on my way.
Nice thought. I just wish they could make at least some of the runs more "express" - stop at only a few strategic stations every other trip or so. Using the train from where we currently live (Forest Lane station is closest) to go to DFW will just take too long to be practical!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 AM

4,061 posts, read 5,189,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Nice thought. I just wish they could make at least some of the runs more "express" - stop at only a few strategic stations every other trip or so. Using the train from where we currently live (Forest Lane station is closest) to go to DFW will just take too long to be practical!
but the money you save from parking in your drive-way instead of overnight for days at the airport is worth the few extra minutes on the train.....and who's to say that on the day you decide to DRIVE to the airport there is a 10 car pile up on the freeway and you sit in traffic for an hour. Taking the train eliminates that risk.....

Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 AM

4,061 posts, read 5,189,398 times
I didn't even know that there were TWO more stations planned for the southern tip of the blue line!...One at Camp Wisdom and the last one is UNT Station. Makes alot more sense now...The location for the Camp Wisdom station is perfect and just what that part of town needs to to kick off substantial development for that area. The hills in down there will enhance the vibe of this new University neighborhood when fully developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas