U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM

111 posts, read 182,474 times

Advertisements

I would avoid clark. It has gone down hill since I went to school there and it wasn't good when I was there. My sister went there for 3 months two years ago. My parents pulled her out and she transferred to Allen. She personally never got into trouble there. She was just not comfortable with the environment there.. Vines would be a much better option.

I transferred to Plano in middle school from out of state. At the time I started in January and had no problem with the academic transition. Socially it was tough at first but that is expected with any new school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 AM

65 posts, read 91,597 times
After poking around the PISD website, I saw the link for Violent and Criminal Incidents...

http://www.pisd.edu/about.us/awards...._Secondary.pdf
Kinda surprised....O.o

Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 AM

781 posts, read 548,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreLeavingLongIsland View Post
After poking around the PISD website, I saw the link for Violent and Criminal Incidents...

http://www.pisd.edu/about.us/awards...._Secondary.pdf
Kinda surprised....O.o
That is interesting. Our kids transitioned in Jan a few years ago to Haun. Now at Robinson. Everything has been fine so far and only incidents I hear about are a couple thefts from lockers. One was football equipment from a couple players and another was a pair of basketball shoes.

Some don't surprise me based on some comments I've heard, but would be interesting to know how these stack up against similar sized schools. The schools in Plano are quite large so maybe on a percentage basis it ends up being not so significant. If Allen has similar data it would be interesting to see.

I've also heard to avoid Clark, but really only know about Robinson/Renner and Jasper/Shepton. Good luck. As most have mentioned, you will likely have a good experience in Plano or the surrounding areas. Just have to get past this damn ice that shuts the area down for days.. Of course, many would welcome the weather in Dallas compared to most parts of the country.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,397,863 times
You can compare these stats to any school district including Highlandpark ISD, Carroll(Southlake) ISD or Coppell ISD and see similar percentage of these incidents.

Even a small district like Allen had 56 incidents in a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition into Plano Schools from Out of State? Thoughts please!-image.jpg  

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM

What exactly is wrong with Clark that I want to avoid it?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM

43,442 posts, read 52,456,961 times
I moved from Cali to Plano to start high school.
They were a little ahead on some stuff. I was a little ahead on some stuff.
Most stuff matched up perfectly.
My brother started 6th grade here; no problems.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM

11,925 posts, read 22,199,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
You can compare these stats to any school district including Highlandpark ISD, Carroll(Southlake) ISD or Coppell ISD and see similar percentage of these incidents.

Even a small district like Allen had 56 incidents in a year.
Not true. The link above was to Plano ISD's ELEMENTARY schools, 15 assaults and 7 weapons incidents seems a bit much for elementary school, don't you think? By comparison, HPISD's elementary schools and intermediate school (K-6 grades) had ZERO incidents that same school year. And zero incidents the prior year (the 2 years I could easily google data).

My best friend started teaching elementary school in Plano and switched over to HPISD a few years ago. The kids were A LOT worse in Plano; she was at an "exemplary" rated school in a nice neighborhood and still had students attempting to assault teachers (like karate kicking teachers from behind and throwing sharp objects at them), some brutal bullying, very advanced sexual incidents on campus (4th graders giving bj's at recess....), and very little parent backup/support when they were made aware of these incidents involving their children. Most parents blamed the teacher By contrast, at her HP elementary school, parents are ALWAYS asking if their kids are kind to others and to call ASAP if there are incidents so they can assist in discipline.

http://www.hpisd.org/Portals/0/docs/...11_12_AEIS.pdf

Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM

111 posts, read 182,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreLeavingLongIsland View Post
What exactly is wrong with Clark that I want to avoid it?
On the chart it has the highest number of arrests. When my sister went two years ago there were tons of fights, bullying and drugs. Just an extremely rough crowd. During the time she went to Allen she witnessed one fight. There were fights daily at Clark.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Wow...that's not encouraging at all. I'm wondering now what the stats are for my current school district in NY

Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,965,398 times
Color me skeptical.

The stats for Clark in 2011-2012 show ZERO fights. The previous poster asserts daily fights. Both are difficult to believe. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

If Clark is so rough, why were dozens of kids each year willing to transfer there for the IB program up until this year?

FYI, the school that made the 10 PM news briefly for a vicious catfight last year was *Vines*, not Clark.

Are there kids there that sometimes get into fights? Of course. If you go looking for trouble, you can find it. Is it a real-life "Fight Club", with bystander kids getting blind-sided in the bathrooms? Hardly.

Re: the arrest stats, if a student is arrested for ANY reason (other than traffic stops) and is identified as being associated with a school, the school gets bonged for that. This happens even if the arrest is off-campus AND the incident is not school-related. Heck, you could have a pair of teenaged girls shoplifting at Claire's contributing to those school stats.

--

As for TC80's comments, all I can say is that the experience that my son (and I as a parent) had in PISD at the elementary level was NOTHING like what she described. Then again, I purposely DON'T send my kid to the "prestigious West Plano" schools he's zoned for. Maybe that's the ticket.

Have I run into the "I'm a perfect person, therefore, so is my kid. How DARE you suggest otherwise!!" mentality? Yes, I have. But you'll find some of that anywhere - even in HP.

---

Getting back to WeAreLeavingLongIsland 's original question: The transition is probably going to be tough socially for your rising 7th grader. But the 9th grader should be OK. Since the high schools represent a merger of middle schools, the social structure is jumbled anyway, leaving lots of openings for newcomers.

Last edited by Big G; 12-08-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or