Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 AM

88 posts, read 201,886 times

Advertisements

I know that PISD and many other districts in DFW are excellent and competitive. My question is, how difficult of a transition from out of state (Atlanta suburbs) is it when entering into the academics of PISD (and surrounding school systems). My fear is that if our schools have not been learning as much as PISD has, how behind my children will be there. My 4th grader does well here, my 1st grader is still early in his school career, but I am nervous about the academic transition, especially for my oldest. Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from those who have moved into the district from out of state. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,459 times
It's not that difficult on elementary level, they'll be supported and challanged to catch up by middle school. It's a good time to make the move. If they are having issues then talk to the teacher and counselor. You can always get a temporary tutor to help with the transition.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM

179 posts, read 557,535 times
We started my son in kindergarten at an Atlanta charter school, sent him to Richardson ISD in first grade, and now we've landed (hopefully for a few years) in Plano. He'll be in second grade, in his third school in three years. I agree with the previous post, the kids are young enough that it shouldn't be an issue. The schools in PISD are much better than the schools in the Atlanta area - especially once you get to middle schools and high schools (at least for the most part, we were in ATL proper, so schools were pretty bad.) We had meet the teacher this morning and the school was amazing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a great year!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:45 PM

287 posts, read 517,212 times
We also just moved to Plano from NJ. I have two incoming 5th graders. You, OP, have raised a concern that I have had since we decided to move to Plano, but every parent I speak with and the new friends I have made here have all told me I have nothing to worry about and that my kids will fall right into place here in Plano. We met our teachers yesterday and loved them. I have high hopes that the transition will be smooth (all has gone really well so far) and that they will be caught up academically. I am comforted by several new friends I have met here who are substitute teachers, teachers, and tutors in PISD --and who have spent time with my kids and are able to assess their academic abilities. Good luck to you!!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times
Most likely they will be fine, but good communication with their teacher(s) is key. Be sure you let them know your situation and possible concerns right at the beginning of the year, so they can keep an eye out for whether or not your student is coming in behind the rest of the class. That way they can make recommendations of things to do at home, etc to bridge the gap early on in the year where it can actually do some good.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM

88 posts, read 201,886 times
Europeanone, thank you, thank you, thank you for this! (and the other posters, too!) I am just so worried about the difference in their school now vs. PISD (and surrounding schools). Our move would be for next school year, so I am considering calling the district and seeing what exactly the kids are doing to compare with where they are at now. Our school has implemented Common Core (which I think TX stopped doing) so going from the old way, to common core and then possibly to another way on top of the quality of education has me stressed!!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM

287 posts, read 517,212 times
As a follow up, I wanted to report that we are in day 3 of school and so far there are no differences from our old school in NJ. All is going swimmingly well and the kids are very happy so far. Feel free to send me a direct message if you have any specific questions. We will have our Back to School night (they call it Curriculum night here) tomorrow night so I might have more information for you after that.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
We are also from out of state (NJ) and happy so far on day 3.

I have to give a big plug to the our new school system. When I registered both my kids (5th and 8th), everyone was extraordinarily helpful. We spent close to an hour with the 8th grade counselor who was really patient, listened to all my concerns since my daughter can be challenging. My son's 5th grade school was so helpful including the entire staff. In our NJ elementary school, the principal would sit in her office and it was an honor to interact with her. Most of the staff would treat you like a child---very unfriendly. Here, everyone was out in the hallways trying to make a new school experience nice for everyone. It is so refreshing to see people with huge smiles on their faces.

Both my kids really like their new school. My son was telling me that in his old school, when he had a question, the teacher would routinely say to the kids, "Figure it out." In his new school, he said the teachers are much more helpful. He learns at a slower pace so this will be great for him. Also, the before and after school tutoring, at least in middle school (not sure about elementary) is going to be so important for my daughter. She really needs the extra help and mentorship. I think that she will get the help she needs here. I was feeling a bit rudderless in NJ quite frankly.

Don't want to dis the NJ schools too badly though. They are good and there are many dedicated teachers and staff there. I just found the Plano schools so much more accommodating and helpful. Love it here.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times
Plano does a great job with it's schools. It's a huge benefit to go there so they should be fine, lots of programs to help kids along etc. The competition can be fierce as you get to the higher grades, but no one can argue with their results. I sometimes argue how much better they are than Frisco as people tend to denigrate Frisco's schools for some unknown and unsubstantiated reason. But they are both good districts, all three of their high schools tend to rank in the top 20 in north texas in academics.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
We are in day 3 as well, from abroad, but via NY. Kids are doing well. My little ones at the elementary have had a wonderful experience so far. My middle schooler loves the school. The teachers and administration thus far have been open with the amounts of communication (emails, notes home, voice messages), clear expectations have been sent home with learning objectives, of what is the required from the students as well as soliciting our feedback of what we expect of the teachers.

My oldest got all the pre-ap classes that she enrolled in. There are tons of "Pre-AP" / GATE kids, and the parents seem VERY involved in expecting the children to learn, do well and excel. I love the vibe that I got from the parents in that regard.

I love the community feel of having the elementary right inside the development..seeing kids walk to school, excited to learn and just being kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: