Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM

35 posts, read 95,970 times

Advertisements

We have seen 2-3 lizards inside the home( from last one month). I have seen several of them outside the house(On the walls). House where I live is around 8 years old. I really don’t want to have lizard in and around my house. Any suggestions to get rid of them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
They're most likely Mediterranean House Geckos and controlling or eradicating them is highly unlikely. During the day they rest in small cracks and crevices outside the house and at night they hang around lights waiting for insects that are also attracted to the light. Honestly I'd just leave 'em alone. They're completely harmless and amazingly efficient at reducing the number of insects (mosquitos included) around your house.

If they get inside try to trap them in a small cup and relocate them outside. They may drop their tail if you catch them in the wrong spot, but it doesn't harm them.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
Lizards like plants, especially potted plants that you may have outside. I have a number of potted plants on my porch and patio and have unknowingly brought in a lizard or two on these when bringing them back inside.

I'm fine with them being outside, because, as was stated in the post above, they are really harmless... I just don't want 'em inside... and catching them can be a whole lot of fun... not! Use a jar with a top, 'cause they sure don't like being caught and will try to jump right back out!

I've never had any inside that got in any other way except this, so just be watchful and careful about what you bring inside that may have an extra creature hiding in it!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-26-2013 at 12:22 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
As others have said, they are harmless. They also eat mosquitoes, so they are actually beneficial!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,536 times
I've seen a lot of lizardry around my house recently. Most of them are very small with almost translucent skin. My biggest fear is actually that I will step on one accidentally. Not too long ago I found one that was apparently halfway out of my mailbox when the mailman closed the door. Poor guy was crushed near his hind legs but still alive. Probably made some bird a nice dinner.

Since lizards are cold blooded, they tend to seek warm places. So if you turned your thermostat way down that might make your home less inviting. Of course you may get a bit chilly yourself, too.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times
I wish I had lots of large lizards to eat the wolf spiders in my yard.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
We have them everywhere; and there's almost always one in our mailbox....sometimes a crushed gecko in the lid. They climb all the exterior walls of the house. Once in a while I see one running inside the house too and I scoop it up and place it outside.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
My dog loves them. He'll play with them, bat them around til they stop "playing" and then he loses interest and moves on LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Not only do they eat the bugs around your house, they are also said to bring good luck.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
They're most likely Mediterranean House Geckos and controlling or eradicating them is highly unlikely. During the day they rest in small cracks and crevices outside the house and at night they hang around lights waiting for insects that are also attracted to the light. Honestly I'd just leave 'em alone. They're completely harmless and amazingly efficient at reducing the number of insects (mosquitos included) around your house.

If they get inside try to trap them in a small cup and relocate them outside. They may drop their tail if you catch them in the wrong spot, but it doesn't harm them.
This^

Their absolutely harmless and good luck keeping them out. We used to have them back home before moving and you could see them squeezing through the cracks and weather molding around the front door and garage doors etc. Our son used to have fun catching them...although the wife didn't appreciate finding frozen Gecko Popsicles in the freezer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas