U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 14,622 times

Advertisements

I am a retired lady in my 60s and live with my daughter, who is an accountant, age 40. We are moving to Plano next year. My daughter will be looking for an accounting job in industry. She is a Cost Accountant 2 & has a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, an MBA, a CPA, & 3 years experience.

We do not have any pets. My daughter does not have children, so schools are not a consideration with us. Our main consideration is the location. We want to be centrally located in Plano so that my daughter can easily commute to a job anywhere in the Plano-Frisco-North Dallas area.

We are looking for a respectable, safe, very quiet -- but also very nice & upscale -- apartment with 2 bedrooms & 1 or 2 baths. We would prefer a gated community. We can spend about $1200 or so per month for rent. Which apartments would you recommend?

What areas of town would be best & which should we avoid? What would you recommend to your own mother or grandmother?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,998,450 times
$1200 per month may not get an "upscale" apartment -- seems demand is very high right now and supply is low.

There are several decent apartment complexes in West Plano off of Preston between Spring Creek and Park. Use zip code 75093 when searching. Good luck.

Legacy Village (off of Legacy and the Tolllway) is very lovely and popular, you might be able to get a smaller 2brm in that price range. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Thank you so much, Brookside.

Looks like we may have to rethink our budget. I guess there are always these reality checks when moving to a new area!

We'll look in the area you suggested. Really appreciate your prompt & kind response.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 9,839,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtree View Post
Our main consideration is the location. We want to be centrally located in Plano so that my daughter can easily commute to a job anywhere in the Plano-Frisco-North Dallas area.
Our initial recommendation to those relocating to the DFW area, is to acquire the job first... THEN and only then decide on your home location based on the commute distance that you and your daughter finds acceptable.

While it may be her desire to work in the Plano/Frisco/North Dallas area, that may not come to pass, as there are large business centers spread out all over here in DFW, and it could be that she finds an exceptional opportunity anywhere from Plano to downtown Dallas to Irving to Arlington or even Fort Worth, etc. DFW is huge, with many safe and lovely communities to live in... and commute times could well be 1-2 hrs each way with added tolls expense if careful planning is not done upfront.

Good luck to you both on finding exactly what you're looking for... I'm sure it's out there... just don't limit yourselves at first to one certain home location until the job has been decided upon!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM

That's an excellent point, BstYet2Be.

We lived in Frisco several years ago & had an awful commute. Neither of us would really want to repeat that experience!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM

372 posts, read 568,179 times
Plano is huge land wise, truly wait till she secures a job. If she gets a job more north in Frisco, I would look more over that way and you might find it much more cheaper in a nice area. If she is going to be working in north Dallas, then living off of 190 might be a better fit. I live over in the Murphy area, my husband works in Richardson, his commute is 20 minutes. If we lived closer to 121 or the Dallas Tollway, the commute for him would run much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or