U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM

794 posts, read 1,349,803 times

Advertisements

I had my eye on this as a retirement property for my aunt but timings aren't right to liquidate her stocks and she shop with cash only. Its FSBO so if you have no agent then owner would give discount. Its a great location on the Plano/Dallas border to let you do all you want in Collin & Dallas counties.

2404 Atwater Ct, Plano, TX 75093 - Zillow

2404 Atwater Ct, Plano, TX 75093 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 64,178 times
Hmmm.... What sound advice!! Thanks everyone for the input. Shall certainly look into Richardson and McKinney. Yes, we plan on seeing the grandkids several times a week ( pipeline dreams) No townhomes and cookie cutter retirement communities. Need the freedom to be able to put up a swing set if needed. Very good advice regarding school system for resale value. Being seasoned landlords ( 18 yrs) we are not afraid of tenants although I can see why it would deter most people. I am getting more excited as I read this forum feedback.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Would someone be kind enough to suggest some zipcodes in McKinney and Richardson? Mature neighborhoods with trees and green would be great.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM

212 posts, read 329,838 times
In Richardson, I would suggest 75080 zip code, which is west of 75/Central Expressway. At your budget level and space requirements, the neighborhoods would be Heights Park, Richardson Heights and Arapaho Heights (basically between Coit Road and Central Expressway, Beltline and Arapaho, as well as between Central and Waterview, south of Beltline to about Nottinghame or James). The common wisdom is not to get too close to Spring Valley, which is lined with older apartment buildings. All of these neighborhoods have a nice mix of generations. Heights Park's recreation center and pool are newly built this year. All of the must have amenities, including medical, are nearby.

75082 is also nice.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

60 posts, read 265,353 times
A small, cracker box house that is 100 years old and will need tons of work is what you can get in Dallas. All for only 300,000 to 400,000.

McKinney...A house for 200,000 would be much bigger than the 300,000 OLD home in Dallas, plus it would be much newer. Dallas is good to work in, not to live in. Dallas is full of freaks, liberals, and/or religious conservative nuts who try to push THEIR beliefs down your throats.

Plano, Frisco, or McKinney would be MUCH better. WEST Plano, and/or WEST McKinney.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM

LOL Doctor of Education. That was pretty funny. Kids are pushing us to look at Plano or W McKinney. But, is Richardson a suburb or Dallas itself? Really do not want to live in Dallas. Want a suburb.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,156,861 times
Richardson is a suburb.

ETA: I was actually going to recommend Richardson when I first read your post. The city has older homes, but it is safe with good schools (resale) and access to almost everything you will need. A lot of the neighborhoods have older, big tress in them as well. There is a Central Market close by, which I prefer over Whole Foods which is in Plano (saw you mentioned living healthy, so I thought this might be of interest).

West Plano would be more convenient if you need to go to DFW frequently, but I'm not sure how often you travel.

Last edited by stephwin; 08-28-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM

73 posts, read 152,950 times
Another vote for Richardson here. You could find a nice, updated 1950s or 1960s home for $200k, and you're only about 15 miles from downtown Dallas (or 10-15 miles from West Plano, Allen and McKinney). The neighborhoods BeanyMalone mentioned above are beautiful and have active neighborhood and crime watch associations, with a good mix of longtime older residents and young families moving in.

Richardson also has good schools and EXCELLENT city services/parks, which help in terms of long-term appreciation and resale value.

Houses in that area sell quickly, but my recommendation is to find a realtor who knows West Richardson well - they can help steer you in the right direction.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,976,195 times
I think you may like Mckinney, concentrating either in the historic district if you 100 year old homes with lots of character, and easy walkability to downtown square with many shops and restaurants...or for newer options, but still with lots of mature trees, green spaces, etc, I'd look in Stonebridge Ranch, Eldorado community, or some of the smaller neighborhoods between/surrounding the two.

Richardson would also be a great choice for you. Older built-out suburb with plenty of mature trees, nearby shops, etc and is seeing quite the rejuvination in the past 10 years. Your money won't stretch as far, since you are much closer to Dallas, so it depends what you are comfortable with. Parts of Plano may be good as well. West Plano is pretty much out based on your budget but some options in central and east Plano for sure.

My 2 cents, and given your situation, what I think is the most important consideration...Try to live as close to your kids as possible. Like previous posters have said, DFW is huge and traffic can be a bit of a nightmare. I'll give you the example of my parents and I. I live in Mckinney...the western part, in Stonebridge Ranch. My parents live in far east Richardson. Doesn't seem that far away from each other when you compare it to the vastness of the metroplex area...but it takes at least 30 minutes to go between our houses during NON-traffic hours. Now, to be fair, 30 minutes isn't that big of a deal for most in the area, but I will it long enough that it makes it harder to see family on a weekly (or more) basis. My brother also lives in Mckinney (about 5 minutes from me) and my mom drives up here 2 days a week to babysit his kids. Add in the days she comes to visit my and my kids, and the days I go down to visit her and my dad, and it's a lot of time wasted throughout the week. Eventually, my parents will have to move (their house is too big for their needs and master is upstairs) so we are pushing hard for them to come up this way. As our kids get more involved in their activities it will be harder to us to go down to see them, which puts the majority of the driving on their shoulders. Plus as they get older we'd like to keep them close. My in-laws, on the other hand, live about 15 minutes away (in Frisco) and it is a quite do-able distance for frequent visits.

Last edited by PlanoGirl; 08-28-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Goldie View Post
LOL Doctor of Education. That was pretty funny. Kids are pushing us to look at Plano or W McKinney. But, is Richardson a suburb or Dallas itself? Really do not want to live in Dallas. Want a suburb.
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the majority of neighborhoods in north and east Dallas and any suburb developed in the same era if we blindfolded you and dropped you on a block full of homes. The majority of Dallas neighborhoods are 100% suburban in layout and look....with an added bonus of much larger lots than most of Dallas' suburbs (ie, .4 acre in North Dallas is no problem, but it's not available at all in Frisco).

Don't be scared of Dallas itself. If you don't want to live that far from your grandkids, totally get it. But don't stay ways because you're scared of the big, bad city. My neighborhood is a great mix of empty nesters, original owners (who are in their 80's), and families with both younger and older kids. It's great and a true neighborhood where people know one another and look out for each other. And we bring freshly baked cookies to new neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or