U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,979,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We bought 2nd home in Florida where our daughter and SIL and new grandson live...
Looked initially in various neighborhoods in her area--needed one allowing fences and not by fresh water (wanted to avoid gator exposure because of our pets)
Saw some that might have worked but were not compelled by what we saw to buy...
House next to theirs went up for sale about a year ago
We talked to them about being so close...and set some boundaries
Made offer w/o seeing it in person...our daughter knew sellers a little but they were older --not much in common--but they knew they took care of house and we knew they did lot of remodeling after they moved it...

Being that close has been just great-- our grandson is just,one but he knows how to,walk next door to our house
It is convenient for us having them so close to oversee when we are in TX and this Labor Day weekend friends of theirs from Atlanta are staying in our house so they have more privacy w their kids and my daughter didn't have to clean out their guest room or have kids sleep on the floor...

If our daughter needs us to come over early in AM while she gets ready for school or wants us to keep him overnight being 10 steps away is SO EASY...plus she gets to eat our ice cream, and use our freezer when their garage fridge broke recently--
They check our mail and take any packages I order for there...let in the pest guy when needed

I think our SIL has even seen the value of it because he can come over on days when he is working from home and their cleaning woman is there...

It might not work for everyone but my husband and I are very self-sufficient
We like seeing them but don't live in their pockets

But this really w irked because the house next door fit our needs on more than just its location
It was in right price zone--excellent considering all the updates--had fenced backyard, was not near a canal, pond, or lake so no gators near by and we liked the neighborhood itself
Older and safe--close to shopping, the beach, and good restaurants

If they move in several years then we will have to see if our situation needs adjusting
One of my good friends who lives in Richardson has a similar setup with her in-laws. They even took down the fence between their backyards to give the kids/grandkids a larger running around space. It works great for them, though she told me it's only because they are each very respectful of the other's space and really put down some definite boundaries from the get go. So it has ended up a win-win for all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM

27,552 posts, read 45,018,330 times
Agree--we like/love our daughter and her husband but we also value OUR privacy and time apart from them...and frankly, after spending 6 weeks next door to a 1 yr old, I don't know how my daughter handles her son, her teaching, and taking care of a house when her husband travels a lot...when he is home he is great to help out, but he is gone probably 2-3 weeks a month...

we were pooped taking care of a walking dynamo even 4-5 hours a day...
so we were glad to have some time to ourselves...

PS--we always knock before going in to their house even though we have a key and we always obey her rules for taking care of the baby...

she has friend whose MIL has condo near them for visits and her 6 yr old son was visiting his grand last week...grand let him go play with boy in condo on next floor--boy she did not know nor did the grandson--left him with the new "friend's" mom whom she also did not know--
HER mother who lives in condo full time knows the man who owns condo--grandfather of the new friend but she didn't know the boy or his mom...
My daughter's friend was pretty livid when she found out what her MIL allowed her son to do...
We would never do anything like that...my daughter says we ask before we give the baby milk out of a cup vs a bottle...so she isn't worried...(so far anyway)...

Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 AM

44 posts, read 64,225 times
Having heard everyone and absorbing everything, I believe, I should hear some positive notes on retirement living in Dallas too. This would keep our perspective straight and our research objective.

Someone earlier suggested not to be scared of the "big bad city" Fair enough. Are there particular neighborhoods or zip codes? I hear that Dallas area has appreciated 11 percent this year only to taper off end of the year. Can never predict the market though.

Right now the kids are renting a place in Turtle Creek. They will buy next year. Maybe renting for a year for anyone relocating is a good idea? Being landlords we hate to pay anyone else's mortgage tho, LOL LOL

Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 AM

the issue with moving to a location as retirement/long term relocation to be with family is what will you do with yourselves when you are NOT with family???
We are only in FL for longer periods of time now--not full time but
My husband likes to play golf and we are planning on doing some FL fishing once the things we are doing to the house are mostly done
We found a great movie theater playing independent/art films which is right up my alley
There are many used/consignment furniture stores so we are shopping for pieces for the house and redo them as needed...
We like the beach and visiting other sites that have interest--like museums, art gallaries from time to time...

So we are mainly doing what we do in TX--just in FL--the only real gap is that we don't have friends there beyond our daughter (and her friends) but frankly we have been so busy doing things we haven't really missed that too much...
plus our best friend often comes with us for at least part of our trip...

IF you move to Dallas I think your biggest adjustment will be to weather--
Dallas is HOT in the summer and even if you like spending time by the pool you will still be HOT...
In FL, the humidity in July and August was taxing and took much of the enjoyment out of being around the pool or outside...but we know that the fall and winter especially are much more pleasant than being in TX...

And if you are a fairly liberal person you might find it difficult to find friends who share your views...Dallas for the most part is very conservative town...

Other than that I don't think you can buy a home expecting to be best friends with your neighbors although that might be an unexpected bonus...
Since you don't know where your relatives are likely to buy, would suggest you find rental home or apartment depending on your specific needs for privacy/yard/storage/location and get used to the area...

The guy who is our financial advisor just had his second daughter start TAMU and while he and his wife live in very nice home (700K+ I imagine) in Colleyville he said they are considering selling that and downsizing to condo in downtown FTW...he works there so it would be a definite advantage not to make a 30 min drive each way...
and relocating like that would be a big change in their life even if it is very close to where they are now...so you don't have to go thousands of miles to make a change that requires true adjustment...

Just go with promise not to look back--
my daughter has best friend from elementary school who has moved to her neighborhood couple of years ago after her husband took promotion at work--from Bedford to FL--
big transition for her to leave her family and friends and she has not made as good an adjustment as my daughter...her friend is still making comparisons between TX and FL and while she has made friends in FL and her son is very happy she is still counting the days until they can move back to TX...
that kind of unsettled attitude just leads to unhappiness IMO...
even if they do return to Dallas area one day--and he recently changed companies (better job) that might make it easier to get back to Dallas--looking for negatives vs positives doesn't enhance your current quality of life...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM

11,681 posts, read 21,258,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Goldie View Post
Having heard everyone and absorbing everything, I believe, I should hear some positive notes on retirement living in Dallas too. This would keep our perspective straight and our research objective.

Someone earlier suggested not to be scared of the "big bad city" Fair enough. Are there particular neighborhoods or zip codes? I hear that Dallas area has appreciated 11 percent this year only to taper off end of the year. Can never predict the market though.

Right now the kids are renting a place in Turtle Creek. They will buy next year. Maybe renting for a year for anyone relocating is a good idea? Being landlords we hate to pay anyone else's mortgage tho, LOL LOL
Any of these neighborhoods & zips in the city of Dallas are great places to live:
75204 - Uptown
75219 - Turtle Creek & Oak Lawn, avoid the small triangle between Oak Lawn / Cedar Springs / Tollroad
75205 - Highland Park and Knox Street side of Knox - Henderson
75225 - University Park and southern parts of Preston Hollow
75230 - Preston Hollow / North Dallas south of LBJ, avoid apartments between Harvest Hill & LBJ, west of Preston
75229- Northwest Dallas, includes neighborhoods Disney Streets, Hockaday Square, Sparkman Club Estates, etc, ok to go west of Marsh once north of Walnut Hill
75209 - avoid area tucked between Lovers / Inwood/ University/ Lemmon. The balance of neighborhoods like Greenway Crest, Briarwood, Devonshire, Bluffview, etc are amazing and super Walkable
75206 - east Dallas neighborhoods of M Streets, Cochran Heights, Henderson side of Knox-Henderson. Stay north of Fitzhugh
75214 - east Dallas neifhborboods of Lakewood, Lakewood Heights, University Terrace, Caruth Terrace, Ridgewood Park, etc. Avoid apartments tucked between Fisher / Northwest Hwy/ Abrams/ Lovers (basically the small curve just south of Northwest Hwy after you cross Abrams)

75220 - Old Preston Hollow & Midway Hollow, avoid west of Marsh

There are many more, but this is a good list to start with! And many you can search the forum for prior threads.

Also, when I said "avoid", the only areas that truly get sketchy crime-wise are the little triangle in 75219, and a good bit fighter west of Marsh (west of Webb Chapel, really) in/near 75220. The other "avoids" are more describing apartments that aren't as well maintained or don't demographically/economically reflect the residential neighborhoods they border.

Crime is weird in Dallas; it tends to stay within bad neighborhoods and doesn't ever really leave the "hood". I lived about a mile from one the highest crime neighborhoods in North Dallas (where you frequently see murders, assaults, drug deals gone bad, etc on the local news) at two separate times in my life. Never, ever did any of those people bring their drama/crime into our neighborhoods; in fact the worst crimes we have are petty thefts (an unlocked bike taken out of the front yard or yard equipment stolen from an open garage) and the occasional smash & grab when a car is parked on the street overnight....typical non-violent crime found everywhere in the US. In fact, I rarely ever saw anyone who looked like they lived in the high crime neighborhood even walking around in our neighborhood....and they would stand out!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 AM

11,681 posts, read 21,258,728 times
Also, on your note about renting for one year--> YES, it's really an investment that will eliminate you from relo-ing to a neighborhood you hate or not having enough time to properly explore all your options. It's better to pay someone else $12k in rent for a year (most of which would go to mortgage interest, property taxes, and homeowner's insurance anyway in year 1 of a mortgage) than to spend $25k in commissions & closing costs to dump a home you just bought because there's a meth lab next door

Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 AM

You are buying time when you rent to allow yourself not to regret your choice...

Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times
My aunt & uncle moved to be near the kids/gkids and decided being within half hour's drive but in an appealing part of the city would be great. Wanted character home and shady neighborhood. The kids built a McMansion in the burbs. Within 18 months my aunt & uncle had sold their charming house and moved a few blocks from the kids. a half hour's drive was way too far, and with traffic often became even longer. They decided they'd rather have the 30 minute trip to cultural city destinations vs. 30 min. drives to the kids. And they wanted impromptu gkid visits.

Now, 15 years later, everyone still lives in the same houses (unusual these days) and my aunt is widowed. Its sure nice for her to have my cousin and his wife so close. Something to keep in mind.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM

44 posts, read 64,225 times
@loves2read.... please refer to my original post. It specifies our plans and pipeline dreams. I agree on buying time while renting.
@ TurtleCreek... Wow! Always right to the point and extremely helpful info. Renting for @12K/yr?? Really?? That would be great. Our Naperville downtown house will fetch $26k/yr in rent. We are planning to rent this out while we do our trial period in Dallas.

@squirl.... point well taken. Drive occasionally to events and walk frequently to the kids/grandkids.

All of you are so helpful and so willing to share info. I am researching like crazy and will be visiting late fall. Maybe again in the winter. Chicago winters are getting more and more treacherous or at least it feels so as we get on in years.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,886,141 times
12k a year for house rent is pretty low. You won't get much for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or