U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,829,439 times

Advertisements

And if we do get ice or snow it's usually gone by afternoon or the next day -- not always but most of the time. Once or twice a year is the norm for ice/snow.

I second on Taco Joint. The one on Peak is more hip (Corey will remember your name every time) and the one on Mockingbird is more families from Lakewood. Try "the disaster" queso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM

44 posts, read 64,320 times
Second Update: Back in Dallas. Ok, it is still cold..... but I see that it will warm up. We are liking this city more and more. We are in Turtle Creek right now. Had Velvet Taco lunch ( of course) and dinner at the Cosmic Cafe. Yummmm on both. Loved the CC.

We are mentally prepared to accept this city as our future retirement place. Probably by end of next year. This was a 3 to 5 plan which got expedited to a 1 to 3 year plan. Now it has become a few months plan. Will be back here for Christmas again.

For retiress, I feel, it would suit us best if we lived in a suburb like Plano, Frisco or Allen. McKinney will be fine too. Uptown and Turtle Creek area is way too "young" and "hip" for us. Although we like walking to restaurants and shops, we will not be doing so very often.

The only thing, retirees will have a problem with is starting in a new place and learning the city from scratch will be challenging. Oh well!

We will wait to see where the kids buy and then buy. Till then we might just rent.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,890,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Goldie View Post
Second Update: Back in Dallas. Ok, it is still cold..... but I see that it will warm up. We are liking this city more and more. We are in Turtle Creek right now. Had Velvet Taco lunch ( of course) and dinner at the Cosmic Cafe. Yummmm on both. Loved the CC.

We are mentally prepared to accept this city as our future retirement place. Probably by end of next year. This was a 3 to 5 plan which got expedited to a 1 to 3 year plan. Now it has become a few months plan. Will be back here for Christmas again.

For retiress, I feel, it would suit us best if we lived in a suburb like Plano, Frisco or Allen. McKinney will be fine too. Uptown and Turtle Creek area is way too "young" and "hip" for us. Although we like walking to restaurants and shops, we will not be doing so very often.

The only thing, retirees will have a problem with is starting in a new place and learning the city from scratch will be challenging. Oh well!

We will wait to see where the kids buy and then buy. Till then we might just rent.
I would do this. We are moving my parents to McKinney from Phoenix by the middle of next year. Staying close will make dinners together and/or help with child care easier. Either side thinking there is a "commuting" distance between those activities will greatly diminish them. That is our logic for our situation, anyway.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 AM

I agree with living close to the kids is a great idea. We are in no rush to buy, we are going to get our feet wet first. We went to look at neighborhoods and subdivisions in Plano and Frisco. Loved the neighborhoods, but were shocked to see the zero lot developments. House on house with absolutely no space for an ant to crawl. Plus, the rear entry for the garages is a deal breaker for most retirees I am sure. At least it is for us. We will be back there next week and will look at homes inside. I really like the neighborhoods tho'

We went to see some neighborhoods ( for the kids") that were million dollar plus. Weird that these homes were house on house too! What is the easement rule in Dallas? Here in Naperville it is 15 ft from the street and 5 ft all around.

We are completely warmed up to the idea of moving to Dallas. Once the grandkids start arriving, the idea will started overheating I am sure.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM

356 posts, read 253,322 times
Quote:
Gosh! I am falling in love with people of Dallas right over this forum! Great perspective of my questions. All around sound and objective opinions. I am reading and recording the points carefully. I have a file for Richardson, W Plano, Frisco and McKinney.

Having living in one of the best Chicago suburbs for 30 years with best schools and community, I swear I never thought of city services. I have lived in a bubble where the city just "does". This forum is a wake up call to think about this.

@Plano Girl.... So true. The kids' and the grandkid's schedule will get busier along with our aching bones and muscles. Once we buy, we should decide to stay put. I am saying this for the benefit of others who might be reading this and trying to make a decision. Right now living, 40 minutes from the kids might seem delightful but, in 20 years?

It would be prudent to wait to see where the kids buy a house next year. This will largely depend on where the bulk of his anesthesiology practice is. Ofcourse we cannot live in their neighborhood. Their spatial needs will be 4 times larger than ours. We want a simple living. Been everywhere, done everything.

Once we visit Dallas in the fall, we can make an informed decision. These forum inputs are very valuable for us. You are all so helpful.

@Stepwin, thanks for the tip on the Central Market. This is something that will be a deal blender for sure Healthy living and helping others is huuuuuge in our lives. We will compromise trees and green for the proximity to the kids, but will not give up health and good health and philanthropy for anyone.
Look at zip codes in Far North Dallas in 75252 and 75287. The 75252 zip code is very green and has huge trees. From Preston and Frankford within 2-4 miles there is a Market Street, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Central Market and Sprouts. Shopping malls and shopping centers are very close by as well. Personally I would wait for your children to land to determine where you want to live. One of the things people don't understand about Dallas traffic is 8 miles from point A to point B can be 30 minutes if it is all city streets and stoplights, or 12 minutes if you have a freeway or tollway to hop on, or 45 minutes if there is a traffic jam or wreck on said freeway or toll road.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 AM

19,649 posts, read 53,635,791 times
Absolutely wait for the kids to buy and be happy there. I live where I would NOT have personally chosen b/c I am 4 min on side streets from my son/family. It's OK and I am happy here since I can pop over for a quick visit after school whenever I want.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
We are in our mid and late 50s living in Illinois for the past 35 years. Our kids are moving to Dallas for work and we would like to explore the option of retiring in the Northern Dallas area. This will be a transition over the next couple of years and we just have started researching.

Both of us work from home and one of us travels internationally a lot. We will work for another three to five years after "retirement". We travel for pleasure also. Ideally a single family home ( one storey) is what we will look for, a fenced yard will be a must for little Fido. Roughly 1500 sq ft will be ideal. Safety of the neighborhood is a must.

Do not like new developments with no trees and green.

We know it is HOTTTT in Dallas. It is COLDDDD in Chicago. We survived!

I am looking for feedback on places to live. Plano? Frisco? Allen? West of 75? Old house or newer. We are into investment real estate here and have rehabbed and own older houses. Fixer uppers do not scare us if the price is right.

Looking to lead a simple life in TX. Close to kids ( future grandkids), work, volunteer, family life, eat healthy and exercise ( both of us are health freaks). I started a Meetup group for ladies who are in their 60s to alleviate depression and sense of loneliness and plan on doing the same in Dallas-- so no worries about boredom there.

One more thing: Love everything Indian, live it everday, but do not roll in it. So, we do not need to live where " a lot of Indians live" We have always have had multi cultural friends.

Know of anyone who retired in Dallas area from out of state?
UPDATE: Kids have bought a gorgeous home in the 75033 area. I was always hoping that they would end up in Frisco so this worked out. Now for the our home hunt. There are a few home in the same neighborhood that are in the 200s but anyone else who has an input will be heard with an appreciative ear. We would like to be within 10 minutes max driving distance to them. They are in The Trails subdivision.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 3,803,178 times
Suggest you find something you like in The Trails, if at all possible! I have had family members living in the same subdivision and they could actually walk between the houses.... just a few houses down the street. In the case of my aunt living near my cousin & his family and also in the case of my SIL living a few houses from her MIL....both worked out great!! The gkids could literally run over to the grandparents' house and then as the grandparents grew older it was so nice for everyone when (both cases) widowed Mom was alone and the adult kid could look in a lot.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,417,104 times
Look over in Denton or The Colony. Denton has a lot of homes In Your price range, big music and restaurant scene.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,689,369 times
FWIW, my partner & I have about decided that if we're still in the area (no reason to think we wouldn't be) we will probably retire in Rockwall. With so much lake shore, it has an almost resort-like vibe that appeals to us! However, considering how fast the region is growing, that feel could completely change by that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or