U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM

81 posts, read 271,854 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Hoping that I can get a bit of insight on Royse City (east of Rockwall)? I am looking to move a little more towards the country with some land, but looking for local opinions on the area or suggestions for an area similar? I love Rockwall and that's where we do all of our shopping, but I am definitely looking for something with a bit of land. Commute is no issue, I work from home. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM

9,513 posts, read 19,533,674 times
My sister lives there. It's a decent place to live. Schools are OK. There is no grocery store in town (long story, small-town politics), although they are supposed to get a WalMart soon. Some areas are a little run-down, and there are quite a few mobile homes, many of which aren't kept up very well. Make sure you can get good internet out there. Some places are only covered by Partnership Boradband, which can be spotty.

What's your budget? If it's high enough, I would say to look in Poetry or Union Valley instead.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,886,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My sister lives there. It's a decent place to live. Schools are OK. There is no grocery store in town (long story, small-town politics), although they are supposed to get a WalMart soon. Some areas are a little run-down, and there are quite a few mobile homes, many of which aren't kept up very well. Make sure you can get good internet out there. Some places are only covered by Partnership Boradband, which can be spotty.

What's your budget? If it's high enough, I would say to look in Poetry or Union Valley instead.
Sounds awful.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,917,301 times
As far as Royse City goes:

Pluses: easy access to I-30, Rockwall and shopping; homesites on small acreage tracts are affordable; schools are decent

Minuses: flat and very few trees; lots of mobile homes; no grocery stores

I love Poetry, but it depends on where you are. Lot of the land is the same as Royse City, but there are areas that are quite pretty. It is way out in the boonies, and you will need to drive to Terrell or Quinlan for shopping, restaurants, etc.. I am not in love with either of those towns either, but they have their pluses too.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Thank you all for the replies! Proximity to I30 is great for me to be able to jump over to Rockwall. I didn't realize there were many run down mobiles though. I saw a few places for rent that were on nice sized lots but a huge deal breaker is the internet availability. Budget at this time is pretty flexible up to $1300 a month maybe a little more but what we are really looking for is peace and quiet.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Okay guys, just a little update. Looks like we were FINALLY approved for a mortgage, and the more I look at Royse City the houses there seem to be pretty affordable. Plus, its a town thats qualified for USDA no money down financing. I have a couple more questions about the area though...
1. Do you know where I can find updates for that Walmart thats supposed to be coming to the area?
2. Can anyone recommend some good areas in Royse City to look at for purchasing? Or areas to avoid?
3. How is internet service? I saw that the area qualifies for SuddenLink Cable/ Internet (never heard of them) but it looks pretty affordable. Otherwise I can get satellite internet and TV.

Thats all I can think of to ask right now, but any experiences are welcome. I searched threads in the forum but they were all old. Hoping that the area has somewhat improved since 2008! TIA!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM

9,513 posts, read 19,533,674 times
The area really hasn't changed.

Walmart has selected a site on I30 just west of town, and as soon as an exit ramp is added to the highway, they will begin construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas