U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM

401 posts, read 524,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
In Bedford, I like the Kroger at Harwood and Central. There's also a Tom Thumb at Harwood and 121, but their prices are higher.

Centrla Market and Market Street are also good, but they are a little further away from you, and Central Market is expensive. Market Street is on 26 at Hall-Johnson, and Central Market is on Southlake Blvd at Carroll Ave.

I wish we had HEB up here. :/
I have had bad experience with Kroger due to old food products (sitting on their shelf few months after the "sell by" date), so stopped buying and food items from their stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,818,791 times
Sprouts for meat and veggies. Their produce is very good. Their meat is too--no chicken breasts pumped up with broth and other crap and they make delicious sausage in house. Watch the ads--they put chicken breasts on sale for $1.99 about once a month. I always make sure to stock up and freeze it.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM

23,611 posts, read 31,169,837 times
Sprouts is good for veggies but not fruit. Good for bulk basics too like rice, flour, etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 844,898 times
I like Central Market, but it is certainly not a budget grocery. However you can get pretty good/reasonable deals on their own (CM/HEB) brands. We do get few certain items at Sams club and Kroger. Nowadays, I also added Trader Joe's to my weekly stops, who can refuse $4 Tempranillo.

P.S. Talk about competition, suddenly Whole Foods across the street is also offering $4 a bottle spanish wine.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,818,791 times
I've never has a problem with Sprouts fruit. Just bought a bunch tonight actually

Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,350,804 times
How do you people rate grocery shopping at Walmart? If you put away their business practices & employment issues, then is it any economical or just as pricy as smaller chains?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,520,907 times
I will not shop there because I've gotten bad produce too many times. (Numerous avocados that were brown inside when we cut them open, and green onions that made us all sick!) Their meat is sealed in packages full of carbon dioxide so it wont turn brown even if it sits on the shelf for a week. They also often didn't have everything on my list, so I ended up going somewhere else, too. Yes, their prices are a little cheaper than the other stores, but you get what you pay for.

But no, I don't shop at WalMart because of their employment practices...

Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM

578 posts, read 1,211,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Central Market is our favorite.
I LOVE Central Market. I find their produce prices very reasonable for the quality you get. Some of their staples under HEB brand are very well priced. Granted meats, cheeses and foodie products are high. If you can avoid the impulse purchases you won't spend a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
I have had bad experience with Kroger due to old food products (sitting on their shelf few months after the "sell by" date), so stopped buying and food items from their stores.
This really depends on the Kroger, but yes I have seen this problem at both Kroger and Walmart. I go to the Kroger on Mockingbird. Turnover there is high and I've never had a problem there with old food.

I find meat prices at Kroger to be some of the best in the area. For seafood I splurge and shop Central Market. For produce I like my local farmers markets (White Rock and St. Michaels) and Central Market.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,489,976 times
Kroger is awesome and I miss it. Right now my only options close to home are walmart and Brookshires. I dont like either of them. We are getting the largest Kroger in DFW right here in Forney. It opens Jan 2014. I cant wait!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM

23,611 posts, read 31,169,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I've never has a problem with Sprouts fruit. Just bought a bunch tonight actually
I've had nothing but trouble with their fruit, particularly their soft fruit (like berries). At my location, berries are displayed at room temperature which promotes mold growth, and all of the produce is roughly handled by the employees there which makes it much more likely to bruise and mold. I've never seen an apple there that wasn't bruised. Most of the packages of strawberries or blackberries have visible mold on them, and the oranges have soft spots that will quickly grow moldy in the fridge. It's awful. I won't buy fruit there anymore at all. Maybe they're doing something different at your location. My local Sprouts is the one in Richardson at Coit and Campbell. I've spoken to the manager there multiple times and gave up; nobody there seems to care. I buy my fruit elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
How do you people rate grocery shopping at Walmart? If you put away their business practices & employment issues, then is it any economical or just as pricy as smaller chains?
Eh...is it cheaper? Oftentimes yes...but for my situation, it's not worth driving to a nice enough Wal-Mart because I will pass several nice grocery stores on the way there and I probably burn more in fuel getting to Wal-Mart than what I'd save by shopping there. Other peoples' mileage (haha, get it?) may vary.

I have a Neighborhood Wal-Mart nearby...its prices are higher than a regular Wal-Mart but usually cheaper than nearby competition. I rarely shop there and that place is stinky and dirty anyway. The employees are surly and the other shoppers are rude. The only thing I go in there for are preservative-free eyedrops because they are FOUR DOLLARS CHEAPER than the next cheapest place, and eight dollars cheaper than at Kroger. I'll walk in there and buy something for $4, definitely. Also, since it's a Neighborhood Wal-Mart, it has a limited selection and most of what I'd want to buy isn't part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Kroger is awesome and I miss it. Right now my only options close to home are walmart and Brookshires. I dont like either of them. We are getting the largest Kroger in DFW right here in Forney. It opens Jan 2014. I cant wait!
My local Kroger has been stepping it up lately, probably out of fear of increased competition from the new Wal-Mart they're building at Spanish Village (Coit & Arapaho in Dallas) and to attempt to capture some of the shoppers left stranded by the closure of Richardson's Whole Foods location. They keep saying they're going to remodel, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet. I would love for us to get a big fancy Kroger like the one they have on Mockingbird. That place kicks ass.

For me, Kroger is the best place to buy produce from a price/quality perspective. Is Central Market's produce better? Sometimes, yes. Is it worth the drive up to Plano? Usually not, but I do go maybe once a month. Their apple selection will blow. Your. Mind.

I hardly ever go to Tom Thumb (too expensive) and I don't do much grocery shopping at Super Target because they are surprisingly expensive on a lot of staples. Their produce is usually more expensive than Kroger and is lower quality. My local Super Target's freezer section is so bare that it makes me think of the anecdotes I heard from people who grew up in the Soviet Union. That's the one at Coit and Campbell. The one on Belt Line and Plano Road is MUCH nicer, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas