U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM

297 posts, read 406,842 times

Advertisements

Which is why it does not always take a piece of paper from an IVY to be the best and brightest at what one does. Work ethic and just plain smarts can go a long way in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
We have a great school system that is getting better every year. And it is good for ALL Texans, not just the kids in Plano.

And getting richer. Texas is the #1 exporting state in the US and in the next 5-8 years, it will surpass CA as the top GNP state as well. TX will become the Saudi Arabia of the Western Hemisphere but with a manufacturing base of Taiwan. Let that sink in.

Next time you are in Huntsville, go look at the Saturn Rocket at the NASA museum there. Look closely at the welds and machine tooling on the rocket engine.

The smartest employee I have has no college degree and grew up poorer than dirt in that area. But he is astonishingly smart and a hard worker. Alabama does have a long way to go, but it will get there.
I read someplace that there are more Ph.D holders within 50 miles of Huntsville than in all of England.

I guarantee you I will inspect those welds and metal work and report back.

Also the oil and gas thing in Texas IS GOING TO HAPPEN no matter how much irrational crying we hear from the small l portion of our local populace. Wolf Camp is already happening, Eagle Ford is still going strong. As people see more and more working nat. gas pumps about we'll start to see nat. gas cars and pick-ups as well as big trucks that will be a massive win for Texas and Texans. We'll just have to carry the small l folks along.

I'm continually astonished that locals and others have no idea how much manufacturing goes on in Texas. Dallas/DFW is a big player in that.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
Which is why it does not always take a piece of paper from an IVY to be the best and brightest at what one does. Work ethic and just plain smarts can go a long way in this world.
I think that's fully true.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM

297 posts, read 406,842 times
EDS, manufacturing is a huge part of the DFW area economy. It is one reason why this area did not tank as bad as others around the nation in the last downturn. Many area manufacturers have now gone to 3 shifts. The only plants in this area that are not thriving within DFW are those that have shipped many aspects of their corporation overseas and outsourced, mostly big names. Honestly, they are not the best to do business with either. Give me a locally run business with someone in control with some biz smarts any day and I don't care what schools name may or may not be on a piece of paper hanging in their office.

Which goes back full circle of why it is smart to take advantage of schools that have great scholarships and opportunities instead of going into debt all because one schools name MAY be considered more "worthy" by some. When my kid can graduate in 4 years with a major, 1-2 minors and a Masters debt free from a school that has much to offer her IF she takes advantage of all of these opportunities. Being a successful college grad means putting oneself out there. No matter where you end up attending, if you do nothing but go to class it is not going to matter if you have a 4.0 or 2.0 when it comes time to find that plum job that is going to pay you for that college education. Taking advantage of the job fairs, research opportunities, internships and partnerships that the school has established outside of the brick and mortar is so important for success after college.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 AM

89 posts, read 101,721 times
In order to be guaranteed admission for UH starting Fall 2014, you need to be at least in the top 10%.

University of Houston : Apply as a Freshman - University of Houston admissions-criteria/index.php

Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrage94 View Post
In order to be guaranteed admission for UH starting Fall 2014, you need to be at least in the top 10%.

University of Houston : Apply as a Freshman - University of Houston admissions-criteria/index.php

Unless I'm missing something that's only for late applications.

University of Houston : Admissions Criteria - University of Houston

Old 09-29-2013, 10:50 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
As a UTD graduate, I honestly felt more prepared for life and the "real world" than my big sports-loving state school counterparts. So many kids go out of state to football factories. Why? Frat parties and socializing? I think if young adults focused on their futures, they'd make more rational decisions.

UT and A & M are great schools, but unless you're a Harvard or Yale etc., graduate, the name on your diploma matters little. Honestly, I think high school seniors over-rate the brand name aspect of certain schools.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
As a UTD graduate, I honestly felt more prepared for life and the "real world" than my big sports-loving state school counterparts. So many kids go out of state to football factories. Why? Frat parties and socializing? I think if young adults focused on their futures, they'd make more rational decisions.

UT and A & M are great schools, but unless you're a Harvard or Yale etc., graduate, the name on your diploma matters little. Honestly, I think high school seniors over-rate the brand name aspect of certain schools.
Having a degree from UT-Austin is definitely a big deal in this state. It has opened doors for me that would have otherwise been closed. I work in I.T. but don't have an I.T. degree. If I had a liberal arts degree from Stephen F. Austin or Sul Ross or UTEP, it doesn't look as good as a liberal arts degree from UT-Austin. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

The A&M alumni network is a whole other kettle of fish. I've seen entire executive wings of companies where every office was decked out in A&M swag. They take care of their own.

FWIW a degree from UTD has equal cachet with a degree from UT-Austin in my mind.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

I'm going to agree with BigDGeek.

It's a mistake to undervalue the UT brand in Texas especially and in some other places too. A friend of ours owns a niche IT business she's gotten to be point that she does not recruit fresh UT grads as programmers because so many are hired by yahoo, google, Oracle, Microsoft, Apple etc. that the price is too high for her. I'd go so far as to say UT is an excellent choice for more or less any STEM and related degree and business. Some of the A&S programs have been hurt by the Top X-Percent rule.

As mentioned in a sense the A&M grad network is even stronger. Those folks stick together, similarly to UT A&M has exceptional STEM degrees and an excellent business school.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 AM

440 posts, read 959,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm going to agree with BigDGeek.

It's a mistake to undervalue the UT brand in Texas especially and in some other places too. A friend of ours owns a niche IT business she's gotten to be point that she does not recruit fresh UT grads as programmers because so many are hired by yahoo, google, Oracle, Microsoft, Apple etc. that the price is too high for her. I'd go so far as to say UT is an excellent choice for more or less any STEM and related degree and business. Some of the A&S programs have been hurt by the Top X-Percent rule.

As mentioned in a sense the A&M grad network is even stronger. Those folks stick together, similarly to UT A&M has exceptional STEM degrees and an excellent business school.
Take rankings with a grain of salt, but UT Austin has a higher reputation outside state as well. In Engineering, UT, Austin beats even some of the Ivy's. For In-state students, its a pretty good value for money and among students its also called as one of the public Ivy.

The latest TimeshigherEducation ranked it # 27 in the World
World University Rankings 2013-2014 - Times Higher Education

QS World ranking is # 71
QS World University Rankings 2013 | Top Universities

Center for World university ranking # 26
CWUR: World University Rankings 2013

Personally I think A&M and UTD offers pretty good quality education as well. Our son had the choice to go to some of the Ivy's and other top schools, and he decided for UT, Austin. As parents we wanted him to go to schools offering full ride but he didn't listen to us . UT, Austin also gave him pretty good scholarship Vs $50-60K/ year for the Ivy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas