U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,428 times

Advertisements

Hi Grammy! I've lived in Dallas my entire life and absolutely love the city. I am also a teacher in the Richardson ISD. With that being said, let me try to give you some un-biased answers to your questions. BTW, I would agree with JENNIFW and CHRISTIEP that nailing down the job first would be very wise. Otherwise, you could end up with a much longer commute than you have now. That being said, here are my thoughts on your other questions.

1. It's 30 miles from Dallas to Fort Worth. When there is no traffic, that's about a 30 minute drive, but during the morning and afternoon rush hours, you could count on at least 45-60 minutes. There IS commuter rail between the cities, but it takes over an hour itself. In my opinion, you really don't want to live in one city and work in the other. Fort Worth is very different from Dallas, as residents of either city will tell you! :-) Since Dallas is much larger, I would expect more employment opportunities in your field would be available.

2. COMMUNITIES & SCHOOLS – The Dallas ISD has excellent elementary schools (on the whole), but some of the secondary schools do not have a good reputation. Some safe suburban communities with excellent schools include Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Garland and Farmer's Branch (all bordering on Dallas). A bit further out you will find excellent schools in Coppell, Allen, Grapevine and Lewisville. Most of these school districts have after-school programs and there are daycare providers everywhere.

3. ADULT LEARNING PROGRAMS - The area is exploding with adult learning programs! Community colleges include Dallas County Community Colleges (7 locations), Collin County Community College (also 7 locations), Southern Methodist University, University of Texas, University of Dallas, Dallas Baptist University, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University...and more!

4. CONNECTING WITH OTHER GRANDPARENTS caring for young children. Here's all the info you will need! Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Dallas Resources

Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be glad to help as best as I can.

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyno1 View Post
I was wondering if, for example I took a job in Fort Worth, but chose to reside in a suburb of Dallas, the commuting distance. I just do not want to commute as I do in California.
As others have said, no way would you want to live in Dallas County and drive to Tarrant County for work every day. That's why we are suggesting you find the job first, then decide where to live. More and more roads in DFW are toll roads, so in addition to wasting time, you could also be wasting money, too.

Yes, Richardson is nice. There are also many nice suburbs in the northeast part of Tarrant County, too.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:06 PM

32 posts, read 39,202 times
LOL! I would never consider commuting on a daily basis from Dallas to San Antonio. That would be insane. I just want to be close to my sis. I could see her more often in Texas, than I was able to in Cali. She lived in San Diego, and I reside in Northern CA. But thanks for your reply.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM

32 posts, read 39,202 times
Default Considering move to Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieltx69 View Post
Hi Grammy! I've lived in Dallas my entire life and absolutely love the city. I am also a teacher in the Richardson ISD. With that being said, let me try to give you some un-biased answers to your questions. BTW, I would agree with JENNIFW and CHRISTIEP that nailing down the job first would be very wise. Otherwise, you could end up with a much longer commute than you have now. That being said, here are my thoughts on your other questions.

1. It's 30 miles from Dallas to Fort Worth. When there is no traffic, that's about a 30 minute drive, but during the morning and afternoon rush hours, you could count on at least 45-60 minutes. There IS commuter rail between the cities, but it takes over an hour itself. In my opinion, you really don't want to live in one city and work in the other. Fort Worth is very different from Dallas, as residents of either city will tell you! :-) Since Dallas is much larger, I would expect more employment opportunities in your field would be available.

2. COMMUNITIES & SCHOOLS The Dallas ISD has excellent elementary schools (on the whole), but some of the secondary schools do not have a good reputation. Some safe suburban communities with excellent schools include Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Garland and Farmer's Branch (all bordering on Dallas). A bit further out you will find excellent schools in Coppell, Allen, Grapevine and Lewisville. Most of these school districts have after-school programs and there are daycare providers everywhere.

3. ADULT LEARNING PROGRAMS - The area is exploding with adult learning programs! Community colleges include Dallas County Community Colleges (7 locations), Collin County Community College (also 7 locations), Southern Methodist University, University of Texas, University of Dallas, Dallas Baptist University, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University...and more!

4. CONNECTING WITH OTHER GRANDPARENTS caring for young children. Here's all the info you will need! Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Dallas Resources

Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be glad to help as best as I can.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. I am responding to you per your reply:
1. OMGsh! LOL! This commute sounds so similar to the commute from where I live in the East Bay to San Francisco each morning. Sometimes I take BART (our rail system) which appears to run a lot more frequent than in your area. Anyhow I would be a lot closer to my sis, and her family living where in Dallas, or Fort Worth.

2. I have begun to apply for jobs in the above-mentioned areas. I am a strong believer in God, so I am not worried about finding a job there. Thanks for the info on the schools. My sister told me of the Great Schools website; therefore I will search for schools for my grandson. I believe that Texas is a great place to raise kids.

3. Thanks for the info on adult learning. My daughter had come a long way, if you know what I mean. She is getting her life back on track. We lost her 3 year-old granddaughter in 2011 due to an illness, and she wants to go to nursing school.

4. Thanks for the grandparents connection. There is so much of that these days.

With all of that, see you in Texas soon!

Take care Daniel

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times
My suggestion was because from what I read you don't have a reason to come to Dallas since you don't have a job here...
if your family is in SA and YOU can find a job there vs Dallas, why wouldn't you live there...
SA is wonderful town (except for the traffic)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas