U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM

27,535 posts, read 44,987,445 times

Advertisements

From what I have heard about schools in Grosse Pointe you may be disappointed in public schools in Tarrant county and want to consider some of the private schools in Dallas...
check with your school district counselors for some insight into what they would say about Carroll ISD (Southlake) and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD...after checking out their SAT scores and other factors like AP exam numbers...
and what your expectations for your daughters are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,602,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
From what I have heard about schools in Grosse Pointe you may be disappointed in public schools in Tarrant county and want to consider some of the private schools in Dallas...
check with your school district counselors for some insight into what they would say about Carroll ISD (Southlake) and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD...after checking out their SAT scores and other factors like AP exam numbers...
and what your expectations for your daughters are...
Southlake is much newer than GPP more like GPW perhaps. More diversity than Grosse Pointe- but that's changing on both sides quickly. No water, no lakes obviously. Schools will be much bigger than GP. Quality of education? Grosse Pointers have been fleeing to the private schools for some time now- so I'd say schools were a wash. You won't find anything like Provençal or Lakeshore drive and there will be more transplants vs. 3-4-5 generation families living there. Highland Park/University Park would have the closest vibe to Grosse Pointe.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 7,999 times
Alot of great input from everyone. If it were just me and the wife I would not hesitate to move to Texas.
Biggest concern I have is the children and the quality of schools and the possibility I cannot provide them what they have currently.
Our class sizes are getting bigger every year and unfortunately the class of people has changed dramatically in the past 7 years I have lived in Grosse Pointe. Our block has had more attempted break-ins and robberies in past 9 months that previous 7 years. Living on the border of Detroit was never an issue until recently.
We were planning on fleeing north early next year but my company has thrown this on the table.
I feel this is a once in a lifetime chance to move to a big city that could provide a future home for my children even though the stress and pressure to build up my company would be tremendous.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM

2,811 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstockwell View Post
I feel this is a once in a lifetime chance to move to a big city that could provide a future home for my children even though the stress and pressure to build up my company would be tremendous.
Don't know about your company and expectations specifically, but in general I've found Dallas to be less stressful and have a less frenetic pace than places like Chicago/New York/Boston. Don't know specifically about Detroit.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM

I guess Grosse Pointe has not been immune from the Detroit depression--my impression was the money there was old/big enough to be innured to local disaster to great extent...
don't mean to sound callous--but that is how Highland Park is for the most part and Westover Hills in FTW I think...
when the oil/gas industry went sour in the 80s Highland Park didn't suffer that much nor FTW...the uber wealthy...

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Forgot to mention - Although I'm sure they exist, I never found any HOA with rates as high as $1,500/quarter, at least not on houses in the 500K price range. In fact, I can't think of any listings we saw that were as high as $1,500/yr. TC80 is generally very knowledgeable about the DFW area, but on this point I'll disagree with her. Again, there may be exceptions, but I'd say more than $1,000/yr in HOA fees is the exception. Most rates we saw were between $250/yr to $850/yr.
I think I had Vaquero (Westlake) on the brain when I typed $1500/Qtr....which a quick MLS look showed to be closer to $1200/qtr.

Most Southlake subdivisions look to be $600-800/year on the high end, except for Westwyck Hills (never heard of it, but I'm not familiar with Southlake down to the sub-div level) which is $2500/year and Estes Park @ $1200/year.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM

I don't know why Estes Park would be so high--
there is no community pool if I remember correctly (everyone has their own I am sure) but there are some weird house configurations there...
I am pretty sure we saw one house under construction several years ago that was sitting on lot behind another house...like you see in a city "in-fill" situation with a deep lot...

re Southlake
91 homes over 750K on market now in MLS I checked
$219 sq ft price and 1.343 million avg listed selling price
500-750K
Total Properties: 56
Avg $/SqFoot: $168.02
Avg Price: $633,002.00
Avg Days Listed: 77

Homes on acerage -- not sure is this also includes homes listed in other categories but think not -- the most expensive home in this category is over 5million
Total Properties: 61
Avg $/SqFoot: $236.02
Avg Price: $1,331,634.00
Avg Days Listed: 105

and of course the AVG selling price is just that--some of the homes go much quicker and some might be on market for over 6 mo...
what I have noticed is that older homes that go on market now usually have some updates that homes of similar age going on the market several years ago didn't have---
there is usually no wallpaper to take down like you often saw...and the colors are usually updated...sometimes kitchens have been redone in inexpensive way--new countertops but cabinets just repainted...maybe some new appliances...

have heard that homes over 500K are starting to see some staleness--maybe because interest rates have clicked up...maybe because people in that part of the market are getting ready for school to start and just stopped hunting...

Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

2,811 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think I had Vaquero (Westlake) on the brain when I typed $1500/Qtr....which a quick MLS look showed to be closer to $1200/qtr.

Most Southlake subdivisions look to be $600-800/year on the high end, except for Westwyck Hills (never heard of it, but I'm not familiar with Southlake down to the sub-div level) which is $2500/year and Estes Park @ $1200/year.
I had to look it up - Westwyck Hills is just east of Randol Mill, other side of the street and just south of Vaquero, I may have driven in there one time meandering around the area. Yeah, lots of very expensive stuff getting built where they extended Randol Mill/Precinct Line up to Dove, right around the Southlake/Westlake border. Also doesn't surprise me that Vaquero's HOA is that insane.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,999 times
Loves2read - Thanks for the great info. I am starting to wonder if Southlake is at the high end of my $500-$600K range. Maybe I do need to consider going to Colleyville in the end.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Keller has some nice neighborhoods that are in the 600K price range and Keller schools are good--
area is larger, more diverse than Southlake or Colleyville (more residents with lower income) but has some good schools

will PM the RE websites I use a lot to just look around
have some good info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or