Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this...but you were nowhere near Lakewood. Casa View is what I'd call that strip of Garland Rd. You could argue Casa Linda or Lochwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Northwest Highway at Abrams is often considered Lake Highlands, but never Garland. Near Medallion Center.
Agreed, I think they were referring to the one up on NWHY, even though technically thats not Lakewood. Is the one on Garland even a drive up or is it dine in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
That's the one OP posted about, dude.
How exactly did you get that from them saying they went to Keller's in Lake Highlands?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
How exactly did you get that from them saying they went to Keller's in Lake Highlands?
OP said he went to a drive in in LH. Then someone else chimed in 'hey, the one on Harry Hines is good too!'. Next we get, 'Lakewood rocks also!'. This would match with the fact that there are 3 Keller's locations (re: drive in; no, the one on Garland Rd is dine-in, no bell hops).

I assumed our poor geography participant assumed anything in east Dallas was "Lakewood". I had no idea he thought the Hillcrest High School attendance zone was also Lakewood. My bad. So he's redundant, too.

Last edited by Considering Coming Back; 09-03-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
It's much simpler to say Northwest Hwy & Abrams.

Anyhow, Keller's makes a decent burger and looks real Classic 60's-70's with it's Neon lights.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
I assumed our poor geography participant assumed anything in east Dallas was "Lakewood". I had no idea he though the Hillcrest High School attendance zone was also Lakewood. My bad. So he's redundant, too.[/quote]

Perfect example of you slamming posters. The location he is talking about is about 5 minutes (or less) from houses zoned LH to the north and 5 minutes from houses zoned LH from the east. Certainly not Lake Highlands proper, but if you were going to consider any of the locations Lake Highlands, that would be the one.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Perfect example of you slamming posters. The location he is talking about is about 5 minutes (or less) from houses zoned LH to the north and 5 minutes from houses zoned LH from the east. Certainly not Lake Highlands proper, but if you were going to consider any of the locations Lake Highlands, that would be the one.
He's since edited and corrected. If someone tries to expand the definition of "Lakewood", "Oak Cliff", or "Lake Highlands" I will often correct them (this includes Yahoo maps. UGH that annoys me so much). If someone says they are looking for XYZ in North Dallas and they mean north OF Dallas, I will correct them, as well.

I know you don't like me. I'm cool with that. But maybe learn how to use the quote feature?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
OK.....now back to the original question. The answer is: there WERE a number of drive-in burger places with carhops around. I do remember Cre-Mel's that had several locations around - one on Garland Road just north of Kingsley Road is the one we went to. Not exactly the same, but the best place to cruise in your muscle car back in the mid to late '60s was Charco's at Mockingbird and Abrams. Great burgers too - you ordered from one side and they called you to get in line to pick up your food, then parked on the other side of the lot.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
I assumed our poor geography participant assumed anything in east Dallas was "Lakewood". I had no idea he thought the Hillcrest High School attendance zone was also Lakewood. My bad. So he's redundant, too.
Well it isn't Lake Highlands, either...

In fact is it owned by a REAL Wildcat, not a copycat: Jack Keller, Woodrow '43.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
It's actually much closer to houses zoned to Lakewood Elementary than Lake Highlands...nearly just across the street. I think you can probably see Town North Townhomes from the corner.

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2013.pdf

Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Prince's Burgers on Lemon was amazing until they took it down years ago.
That was one of my favorites, too.

If you're ever over in Fort Worth, Fred's and Kincaid's are also legendary! Unfortunately, they don't have carhops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas