U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,381,253 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would seriously look into the Shops of Legacy. Even though its in a suburb (Plano), it meets all your requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM

11,691 posts, read 21,339,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
Thanks everyone for your input!!! I truly appreciate it!

For those recommending the Shops @ Legacy area in Plano.... from photos it looks great, fresh, etc. - but is it more of a young family vibe or young professional singles vibe? Also, is it diverse? I am reading what folks are saying about StoneBriar Mall which apparently is only a few minutes North; but what about the Shops @ Legacy area specifically? Will myself and TX75007's ex be the only black ladies in the area ?

Thanks!
There is a lot of diversity - seems to be more Indian / Korean / Hispanic than black but certainly not 99.9% lily white by any stretch.

I will say Shops @ Legacy gets touted a lot on this forum. I work super close and am over there a good bit even though we live in Dallas proper..... it has a busy happy hour crowd on weekdays that is 20-30-something young professional for the most part. The weekend crowd is different - and I suspect more of a reflection of those who live there (?) -> tons of divorcee women in their 30-40's and whatever men are chasing them. The young 20-30 something people who live @ Shops are in Uptown or Addison on the weekends (at least the ones who work for me are....)

Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 PM

734 posts, read 1,778,172 times
To piggyback off of TurtleCreek, you won't stick out like a soar thumb at all but it's no Atlantic Station either. The closest thing I would compare the Shops at Legacy to in terms of demographics and overall shopping experience would be Town Brookhaven.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM

106 posts, read 177,853 times
OP, I lived in Atlanta for 2 years a ways back - Castleberry Hill just south of downtown. What neighborhood(s) in Atlanta would meet your criteria? Midtown? Little Five Points? That will help provide a reference point even though I've only been here in Dallas for 4 months.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM

125 posts, read 512,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There is a lot of diversity - seems to be more Indian / Korean / Hispanic than black but certainly not 99.9% lily white by any stretch.

I will say Shops @ Legacy gets touted a lot on this forum. I work super close and am over there a good bit even though we live in Dallas proper..... it has a busy happy hour crowd on weekdays that is 20-30-something young professional for the most part. The weekend crowd is different - and I suspect more of a reflection of those who live there (?) -> tons of divorcee women in their 30-40's and whatever men are chasing them. The young 20-30 something people who live @ Shops are in Uptown or Addison on the weekends (at least the ones who work for me are....)
Good to know! I'll check it out during a weekday and weekend, while I'm in town. Your previous post also excited me because the 25-40min commute quote isn't toooo bad. While I do currently live in Atlanta (Traffic-Hell) I actually have a 5 minute commute b/c I live so close to my office. HOWEVER, I feel trapped in my little 5 minute radius (which is abt 20 minutes from the 'fun' of midtown Atlanta) and I'd trade a 30min commute for being in the 'thick of everything', for sure! When I lived in NYC I had a 30min commute and kind of enjoyed it b/c it was all highway; against traffic (so it was a fairly smooth ride); and I got to listen to the radio shows. I'm def. going to check out both areas while in town... day & night.. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
To piggyback off of TurtleCreek, you won't stick out like a soar thumb at all but it's no Atlantic Station either. The closest thing I would compare the Shops at Legacy to in terms of demographics and overall shopping experience would be Town Brookhaven.
Thanks for putting it into (ATL) perspective for me!! This helps!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM

125 posts, read 512,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_DFW View Post
OP, I lived in Atlanta for 2 years a ways back - Castleberry Hill just south of downtown. What neighborhood(s) in Atlanta would meet your criteria? Midtown? Little Five Points? That will help provide a reference point even though I've only been here in Dallas for 4 months.
Hi!!! I actually live at the Marietta/ATL border now (think I285/I75 intersection area)... and while I love how it's close to Vinings shops; I'd much rather be in Midtown... Can you believe I've lived in ATL for 4 years and couldn't tell you where Castleberry Hill is... My first trip to L5P was a few months ago! This is likely b/c I don't like venturing out toooo far... so that's why I'm thinking Uptown & surrounding areas may be better for me in Dallas...

But to simply answer your questions - I guess I'd say Midtown.. although I like the kind of artsy vibe of L5P; however it may be a bit tooo artsy and not enough 'flashy' for me ...

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM

734 posts, read 1,778,172 times
sore thumb, but you get it.

Well when you venture out into the city, while the areas aren't carbon copies, you'll find your indie/funky mix to replace L5P, Downtown Decatur, EAV with Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts District, Lower Greenville and parts of Oak Lawn.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM

6,934 posts, read 9,634,615 times
Plano is going to feel more like Roswell/Alpharetta than some of the closer in Atlanta neighborhoods that others have suggested. MHO of course.....

Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 AM

904 posts, read 1,310,674 times
Hi Atlantagal,

I'd go with Shops at Legacy or Addison. As much as I'd like to recommend uptown, the commute is a little far (for my taste, anyway). I'm also from Atlanta, but been here for three years. You can PM me if you want

And I agree with Saintmarks's comment as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 AM

229 posts, read 247,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
Thanks everyone for your input!!! I truly appreciate it!

For those recommending the Shops @ Legacy area in Plano.... from photos it looks great, fresh, etc. - but is it more of a young family vibe or young professional singles vibe? Also, is it diverse? I am reading what folks are saying about StoneBriar Mall which apparently is only a few minutes North; but what about the Shops @ Legacy area specifically? Will myself and TX75007's ex be the only black ladies in the area ?

Thanks!

You do not want to live in the Shops at Legacy area if you are wanting an area that would be considered diverse and gay friendly. I am not sure of your political leanings, but Plano and Collin County are considered to be two of the most conservative areas in the country, even though they are only miles from the relatively liberal city of Dallas. There are way too many good options closer to the core than to settle for the Plano area. Is best to stick to the City of Dallas, or even a closer in suburb like Richardson or Addison would be better options than the redder than red Plano and Collin County areas. My partner and I live in North Dallas and that is about as far North as we will live as attitudes change quickly north of 635.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or