U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 AM

229 posts, read 247,355 times

Advertisements

65% of the folks in Collin County do. I said in an earlier post that 70-80% of the folks in Collin County vote that way and a Collin County booster called me out as it is actually only 65%. I apologize for my gross over-exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I qualified "MANY younger people" with the descriptive phrase "of all varying stripes" to specifically state that they are not all conservative and represent about every focus group out there.

By the way my fromer director here at my place of work was very "out" in his gay lifestyle, brought his partner to company functions. Nobody at this work place in Frisco (oops, even worse than Plano!) was bothered by it.

He was a card carrying Republican by the way. But that brush is painting far outside your lines, so don't have an anuerism.

To get back to the original post; the OP stated she is African American, wants to rent, in a walkable area close to delis and grocery stores, nightlife, diversity, LGBT accepting, in the middle of everything, etc.., and she thought Oak Lawn and Uptown would might be good fits. And the Collin County boosters on here are trying to steer her to Plano, and convince everyone how diverse and accepting it is. Does it have some diversity? Yes. Is it accepting? For the most part. Plano is a nice city, great suburban neighborhoods, great schools, some good restaurants. It is a nice place, but is definitely geared more towards families, is by no means in the middle of everything, and has basically one walkable area, which is a glorified shopping center. Why put yourself there when there are so many other great options in this area that have many more of the requirements you are looking for? I have tons of single people that I work with that live in Collin and Denton Counties. When I ask how they like living in the Metroplex they typically say it is boring and there is nothing to do, and they can't meet anyone. When I ask when was the last time they went into Dallas to the museums, theatres, restaurants, etc...they typically say they rarely do because it is too far, so they settle for the Legacy shopping center. You should not choose a place to live based on its proximity to your work, you should choose it based on where you want to live your life outside of work. And I don't know her political leanings, but as I said before, if she leans left and wants to be around others with those same political views than closer in is her best bet, as 65% of the voters in Collin County choose to pull the lever for the far-right wing fanatics we currently have running this state.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Don't fall into the trap of confusing fiscal conservatism with social conservatism - the former is growing and the latter is fading fast among Republicans and non-aligned conservatives. I have many conservative friends who are not even religious.

We came here from South Carolina and not one person - neighbors, co-workers or other people we met along the way - batted an eye about my partner's & my lifestyle. I would think that heavily populated areas in Collin Co. like Plano would be at least as accepting in the very large DFW metro area.
If the fiscal conservatism part is growing in Texas and the social conservatism is fading fast, why do the leaders that get elected in this state continue to move further and further to the right on all social issues? We are a big, urban state that continues to act like a backwater burg when it comes to social issues. Unless you are white, straight, male, protestant, conservative in this state, then you are fair game for the venemous remarks that flow from our leader's mouths. We are regressing on social issues as other states progress. I know they don't speak for a large part of the population of this state, but somebody keeps electing them, and if 65% of the voters in Collin County vote Republican, then they are playing a big role in that.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,893,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
If the fiscal conservatism part is growing in Texas and the social conservatism is fading fast, why do the leaders that get elected in this state continue to move further and further to the right on all social issues? We are a big, urban state that continues to act like a backwater burg when it comes to social issues. Unless you are white, straight, male, protestant, conservative in this state, then you are fair game for the venemous remarks that flow from our leader's mouths. We are regressing on social issues as other states progress. I know they don't speak for a large part of the population of this state, but somebody keeps electing them, and if 65% of the voters in Collin County vote Republican, then they are playing a big role in that.
Being smart with money is more important than social issues. I do agree social issues will need to be addressed, but not at the expense of fiscal liberalism.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,370,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
To get back to the original post; the OP stated she is African American, wants to rent, in a walkable area close to delis and grocery stores, nightlife, diversity, LGBT accepting, in the middle of everything, etc.., and she thought Oak Lawn and Uptown would might be good fits. And the Collin County boosters on here are trying to steer her to Plano, and convince everyone how diverse and accepting it is. Does it have some diversity? Yes. Is it accepting? For the most part. Plano is a nice city, great suburban neighborhoods, great schools, some good restaurants. It is a nice place, but is definitely geared more towards families, is by no means in the middle of everything, and has basically one walkable area, which is a glorified shopping center. Why put yourself there when there are so many other great options in this area that have many more of the requirements you are looking for? I have tons of single people that I work with that live in Collin and Denton Counties. When I ask how they like living in the Metroplex they typically say it is boring and there is nothing to do, and they can't meet anyone. When I ask when was the last time they went into Dallas to the museums, theatres, restaurants, etc...they typically say they rarely do because it is too far, so they settle for the Legacy shopping center. You should not choose a place to live based on its proximity to your work, you should choose it based on where you want to live your life outside of work. And I don't know her political leanings, but as I said before, if she leans left and wants to be around others with those same political views than closer in is her best bet, as 65% of the voters in Collin County choose to pull the lever for the far-right wing fanatics we currently have running this state.
Woah.

First off, you are using such a broad brush to paint people with. Im surprised you dont see that. 65% of the people in Collin County voted red, that doesnt make them nazis. I know lots of people who vote red who are pro-gay marriage or pro-choice but fiscally conservative and thats more important to them. Likewise, I know blue voters who think being gay will send you straight to hell.

Also, Collin County is diverse. It may have gone 65% over all, but that doesnt mean that every part of Collin county went 65%. I would bet areas like Plano, far North Richardson/Dallas were closer to 50/50 or at least 55/45 and areas like Prosper, Anna, and Melissa were closer to 90/10. The Shops at Legacy area is probably much more moderate because the area around it is more multicultural.

I would also say that while Plano and Frisco are more geared toward families and young married couples, the Shops at Legacy is not. Its an area of places to eat and nightlife. Are you really going to take your kids to Blue Martini or Sambuca?

No one is saying that the Shops at Legacy is better than Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, or Bishops Arts (though I would take it over white bread Uptown any day of the week). What I am saying is that, if my job was in by the Shops, I would take it over living in central Dallas.

In the end, stop trying to paint people who choose to live in Collin County or any other places as nothing but bible thumping, tea party loving, gay bashing bigots. Sure we have people like that, but so does every place else. Remember, the most ethnically and religiously diverse areas of DFW arent in Dallas. They are in places like North Plano, Irving, Carrollton, and Garland. You are going to get more variance in opinion in those places vs. Dallas.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM

[quote=peterlemonjello;31298356]Woah.

First off, you are using such a broad brush to paint people with. Im surprised you dont see that. 65% of the people in Collin County voted red, that doesnt make them nazis. I know lots of people who vote red who are pro-gay marriage or pro-choice but fiscally conservative and thats more important to them. Likewise, I know blue voters who think being gay will send you straight to hell. I never said anything about it making them nazis or anything of the sort. You are putting words in my mouth. I said: "And I don't know her political leanings, but as I said before, if she leans left and wants to be around others with those same political views than closer in is her best bet, as 65% of the voters in Collin County choose to pull the lever for the far-right wing fanatics we currently have running this state."What part of that statement isn't true? You may be voting for the R's for fiscal reasons, but you get what you vote for, and what we got is a bunch of far-right wing fanatics, who every day continue to take this state back to 1950 and make us look like a bunch of backwater yahoos. If you voted for them, no matter why you voted for them, then you put them in office and we have to live with the consequences.

Also, Collin County is diverse. It may have gone 65% over all, but that doesnt mean that every part of Collin county went 65%. I would bet areas like Plano, far North Richardson/Dallas were closer to 50/50 or at least 55/45 and areas like Prosper, Anna, and Melissa were closer to 90/10. The Shops at Legacy area is probably much more moderate because the area around it is more multicultural. I said Doesn't really matter, the fact of the matter is that on a whole, it went 65%.

I would also say that while Plano and Frisco are more geared toward families and young married couples, the Shops at Legacy is not. Its an area of places to eat and nightlife. Are you really going to take your kids to Blue Martini or Sambuca? Saying it is an area is really pushing it. It is a basically a big shopping center with apartments above. So you have a city of 265,000 with basically one big shopping center where young folks go to party and drink, the rest of the city is definitely geared towards families. And you know what, that is alright. If I had a family, I more than likely would live in a place like Plano also. I am just saying, for the criteria the OP posted, I think there are many areas in the metro area that would be better suited for her. I understand your love for your city, but lets be realistic.

No one is saying that the Shops at Legacy is better than Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, or Bishops Arts (though I would take it over white bread Uptown any day of the week). What I am saying is that, if my job was in by the Shops, I would take it over living in central Dallas. and that is good for you, but what I said is "You should not choose a place to live based on its proximity to your work, you should choose it based on where you want to live your life outside of work." That is my opinion. Am I not also entitled to it just as you are to yours that you would live close to your work?

In the end, stop trying to paint people who choose to live in Collin County or any other places as nothing but bible thumping, tea party loving, gay bashing bigots. Sure we have people like that, but so does every place else. Remember, the most ethnically and religiously diverse areas of DFW arent in Dallas. They are in places like North Plano, Irving, Carrollton, and Garland. You are going to get more variance in opinion in those places vs. Dallas.once again, putting words in my mouth, as I have never used the words bible thumping, tea party loving, gay bashing bigots in any of my posts. I think I have been pretty respectful in my posts and have not resorted to name callilng.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,699,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Woah.

First off, you are using such a broad brush to paint people with. Im surprised you dont see that. 65% of the people in Collin County voted red, that doesnt make them nazis. I know lots of people who vote red who are pro-gay marriage or pro-choice but fiscally conservative and thats more important to them. Likewise, I know blue voters who think being gay will send you straight to hell.

Also, Collin County is diverse. It may have gone 65% over all, but that doesnt mean that every part of Collin county went 65%. I would bet areas like Plano, far North Richardson/Dallas were closer to 50/50 or at least 55/45 and areas like Prosper, Anna, and Melissa were closer to 90/10. The Shops at Legacy area is probably much more moderate because the area around it is more multicultural.

I would also say that while Plano and Frisco are more geared toward families and young married couples, the Shops at Legacy is not. Its an area of places to eat and nightlife. Are you really going to take your kids to Blue Martini or Sambuca?

No one is saying that the Shops at Legacy is better than Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, or Bishops Arts (though I would take it over white bread Uptown any day of the week). What I am saying is that, if my job was in by the Shops, I would take it over living in central Dallas.

In the end, stop trying to paint people who choose to live in Collin County or any other places as nothing but bible thumping, tea party loving, gay bashing bigots. Sure we have people like that, but so does every place else. Remember, the most ethnically and religiously diverse areas of DFW arent in Dallas. They are in places like North Plano, Irving, Carrollton, and Garland. You are going to get more variance in opinion in those places vs. Dallas.
Hear, hear! Why do SO many feel the need to be so "us" (urban) vs "them" (suburban)?? Personally, I find things to like & value in nearly every city/town/area in the Metroplex!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 PM

6,931 posts, read 9,629,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Hear, hear! Why do SO many feel the need to be so "us" (urban) vs "them" (suburban)?? Personally, I find things to like & value in nearly every city/town/area in the Metroplex!
Saw the same thing in Atlanta....... Silly IMHO.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,334,589 times
There is some good information in this thread, so thank you to people for that. I too live in the Atlanta area and I am contemplating a move to Dallas myself (I still have a few other cities in mind too). I'm a gay black male, so I do have my concerns about moving to certain places/cities and whether or not I'd be a good fit. I don't walk around with a rainbow flag or prance around in high-heels, or whatever stereotype people have in mind, but people who are important in my life know who I am.

I agree there are a lot of stereotypes about Atlanta the city vs. the suburbs too just like Dallas vs. CoCo vs. Ft. Worth vs. Denton County, so I'm pretty sure a lot of people tend to exaggerate about the political aspects of people in North Texas the same way people do in North Georgia.

I'm self-employed as a freelance copywriter/web writer at the moment, so in theory, I can move wherever I want if I have the funds and clientele (quite a few of my clients are outside of my city and some overseas). My main concern is making sure people know what I can do for their business/organization first rather than them worry about who I am (since I don't discuss aspects like that with people anyhow), but I don't want to move to an area where people see me and immediately don't want anything to do with me. Bigotry can happen anywhere, even in the most liberal of areas, and I hate to even have to think about these issues in this day and age, but that's life I guess.

Anyway, there is some informative information in this thread, and certainly a lot of food for thought on all sides of the spectrum.

Last edited by grindin; 09-08-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,650,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
There is some good information in this thread, so thank you to people for that. I too live in the Atlanta area and I am contemplating a move to Dallas myself (I still have a few other cities in mind too). I'm a gay black male, so I do have my concerns about moving to certain places/cities and whether or not I'd be a good fit. I don't walk around with a rainbow flag or prance around in high-heels, or whatever stereotype people have in mind, but people who are important in my life know who I am.
My boat as well. Rapidly aging gay male here, contemplating a move to Dallas from Austin for work. Not that far up the road so it's easier for me to check the place out, but unfortunately after a few years in Austin, I've had all the typical anti-Dallas sterotypes shoved into my brain so I'll need to divest myself of what's not factual and simply learn for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or