U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,071,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
My boat as well. Rapidly aging gay male here, contemplating a move to Dallas from Austin for work. Not that far up the road so it's easier for me to check the place out, but unfortunately after a few years in Austin, I've had all the typical anti-Dallas sterotypes shoved into my brain so I'll need to divest myself of what's not factual and simply learn for myself.
For what it's worth, my gay friends tell me the gay scene is larger and more vibrant in Dallas. Granted they live in Dallas so perhaps they have some bias, but they do also love Austin.

Give Dallas a look. Bishop Arts, M Streets, and Lower Greenville all have some Austin like attributes. Personally, I like Bishop Arts better than any other neighborhood in Texas. Dallas is not considered a cool city like Austin, so it's a well kept secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,766,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
For what it's worth, my gay friends tell me the gay scene is larger and more vibrant in Dallas. Granted they live in Dallas so perhaps they have some bias, but they do also love Austin.

Give Dallas a look. Bishop Arts, M Streets, and Lower Greenville all have some Austin like attributes. Personally, I like Bishop Arts better than any other neighborhood in Texas. Dallas is not considered a cool city like Austin, so it's a well kept secret.

Thanks. I was never a good fit for Austin... too old to be cool (I'm approaching the age where I'm more likely to break a hip than BE hip) and more libertarian than liberal, so the the areas with the "scene" don't hold much fascination for me. If I take the job I'd probably end up living around Vickery Meadows/Lake Highlands, or maybe over the line in Richardson.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,442,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

I agree...Bishop Arts was one of my favorite neighborhoods when I visited Dallas a few years back. M Streets, Knox-Henderson, Lakewood, and Old East Dallas were very nice too.

After living in a city that gets a lot of hype for being "cool" for particular demographics, I'm at the age (I'll be 32 in a month ) where I don't even care about all that anymore.
Maybe moving somewhere that doesn't get so much hype and attention may be a good thing for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,929,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Being smart with money is more important than social issues. I do agree social issues will need to be addressed, but not at the expense of fiscal liberalism.
COMPLETELY agree!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM

206 posts, read 921,744 times
Hey AtlantaGal, interesting I am in Gwinnett now and considering moving back or am moving back myself. To be honest I stayed in Gwinnett and yes , the suburbs is definitely going to be a more diverse area. I wouldn't say OakLawn because of the traffic. I would say indeed try the Shops at Legacy or even consider looking into Addison or the Galleria area. That price range you indicated is indeed feasible. Or anything off the tollway -would be good and shouldn't be that bad of a commute. I been gone for 6 years and slowly familarizing myself with the area. I was born and raised and a shame I know more now about ATL/Gwinnett (tear tear ) than I do about Dallas but I am learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or