U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,447,672 times
Reputation: 928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
Thank you GB. I did not think of Addison. I will certainly start researching the area. I have Plano on my list so im now looking forward to what my research will reveal. So what is the price range for appartments in Addison. I plan to rent for a year or less then purchase a home and I do want a good size yard. I dont mind being 30-45 mins away from the big city Dallas in order to have the yard space. So since that most people dont rely on the public transit system is the traffic very congested(like on a regular day will it take a person 20 mins to travel 3 miles)?
Hi Tempted,

As far as Addison, from what I saw apartments ran around $900-1200/month for a 1BR or maybe a 1BR plus den (which I suppose you could use as a second BR). In the complex I'm in, you are definitely paying for location and being in the "urban community" or whatever you want to call it with shops on the ground floor of the buildings. Nice to have restaurants and shops within walking distance plus park areas for walking yourself or a dog, but you have to ask if that's important for you? I could probably take it or leave it, but again with the ability to literally walk 5 minutes to work I save on gas so the tradeoff works for me for at least my first year in Dallas. Again, lots of shops and restaurants nearby on Belt Line Road. Big boxes like Target and Walmart, grocery stores like Kroger, and then smaller shops and restaurants.

Plano is suburban for sure, but will likely provide you more yard space and rents might be slightly cheaper - or you'll get more space for your money. If you are okay with a bit of a drive, besides Plano you might consider Frisco - or straight north on the Dallas North Tollway. It is a tollway, but makes for a better drive overall. That may be your tradeoff for yard space and a bit of savings on rent - though you'll spend more on tolls and gas. Also, BTW, all tolls in Texas seem to be collected electronically. You purchase your pass and put money onto your account. The sensor records your pass going through a collection area and debits your account. If you don't have a pass on your window, the sensor snaps a picture of your plate and sends you a bill (and charges extra for a "cash" payment). It does seem to help traffic.

Speaking of traffic, with the expansion of Dallas there is a lot of construction so a lot of traffic. In fact, what I've read here and can attest to is if you move here find a job first and then find a place to live. You don't want to live on the other side of town and have to drive across town everyday. I actually lived in a decent extended stay hotel the first month until I decided on my apartment so I wasn't committed until I found the right place. I sometimes think I live a little too close to work so I don't get much feel for the city, but when I DON'T have to deal with traffic daily, it's worth it. I would definitely avoid any regular drive on 635. Construction will be years in the making from what I see. However, if you decide to live in Dallas proper along Hwy. 75 in the city, 75 isn't a cakewalk for traffic but doesn't seem incredibly awful (then again, I don't have reason to normally drive it either).

Okay, I suppose I should try to lay down for the now short night...too late a nap left me up much too late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,447,672 times
Reputation: 928
I forget to talk about Cedar Hill. Unfortunately, I cannot speak with any authority on Cedar Hill. It is well on the south side of the city and I have yet to drive anywhere near there. Sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
2,174 posts, read 4,271,813 times
Reputation: 2429
Cedar Hill is a nice, racially diverse, middle-class city to the southwest of Dallas. If your jobs are in the Plano area, you don't want to make that commute every day. If your jobs are on the southern side of Dallas or southern Grand Prairie, then Cedar Hill might make sense.

Cedar Hill, on the whole, is going to be cheaper than Plano and generally traffic in the Cedar Hill area is going to be much lighter. Cedar Hill is topographically prettier than Plano, as it's slightly hillier and close to Cedar Hill State Park, Joe Pool Lake, etc. It doesn't have nearly the retail options that Plano has (no Whole Foods but it does have a Sprouts) but it's getting better as the US 67 corridor fills in. And the schools aren't as good.

Many people dismiss everything in the southern part of the Metroplex (some of that is for racial reasons but that's another discussion) but I think Cedar Hill is a bit of an undiscovered gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,899,600 times
Reputation: 1715
Dallas North Tollway has very thick traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,654 posts, read 31,395,050 times
Reputation: 26751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
Thank you GB. I did not think of Addison. I will certainly start researching the area. I have Plano on my list so im now looking forward to what my research will reveal. So what is the price range for appartments in Addison. I plan to rent for a year or less then purchase a home and I do want a good size yard. I dont mind being 30-45 mins away from the big city Dallas in order to have the yard space. So since that most people dont rely on the public transit system is the traffic very congested(like on a regular day will it take a person 20 mins to travel 3 miles)?
You don't have to live 30-45 minutes away to have a yard. If it's not rush hour I can get to downtown Dallas in 17 minutes flat from my house in Richardson. Even the last time I had jury duty it didn't take 45 minutes to get there. The drive door to door was about 35 minutes, and this is from someone who despite being born and raised in Dallas easily gets lost downtown. My drives through downtown Dallas usually consist of flop sweat, white knuckles, and desperate staring at printed Google maps. Unless I've been there a zillion times, I can't find it. I can find the farmer's market and Dealey Plaza easily. That's about it. But I digress.

AFAIK there's no DART train running from Addison to downtown Dallas. Traffic in Dallas sucks, but isn't that true of most cities this size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Cedar Hill is a nice, racially diverse, middle-class city to the southwest of Dallas. If your jobs are in the Plano area, you don't want to make that commute every day. If your jobs are on the southern side of Dallas or southern Grand Prairie, then Cedar Hill might make sense.

Cedar Hill, on the whole, is going to be cheaper than Plano and generally traffic in the Cedar Hill area is going to be much lighter. Cedar Hill is topographically prettier than Plano, as it's slightly hillier and close to Cedar Hill State Park, Joe Pool Lake, etc. It doesn't have nearly the retail options that Plano has (no Whole Foods but it does have a Sprouts) but it's getting better as the US 67 corridor fills in. And the schools aren't as good.

Many people dismiss everything in the southern part of the Metroplex (some of that is for racial reasons but that's another discussion) but I think Cedar Hill is a bit of an undiscovered gem.
This, 100%. I know several people who live in Cedar Hill and they all love it. One friend refers to it as "Plano for black people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,057 posts, read 4,469,253 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
Thank you so much for the information.
Do you suggest ant other cities I can research that has the same criteria?
Why did you move from San Antonio?
There are a ton of great cities in DFW, but it really depends on whether you are working in Cedar Hill or Plano. They aren't exactly around the corner from each other. If the job in based out of CH, places like South Grand Prairie, Midlothian, Mansfield, Red Oak and DeSoto come to mind. Waxahachie is out a bit farther from the city and you could get even more for your money there.

If work is based out of Plano, there are countless amounts of viable cities north of Dallas. It all depends on your budget. Just off the top of my head, there would be Richardson, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Carrollton, just to name a few. It just depends on your budget and how far from the city you want to go.

I actually moved here to San Antonio from MA (love getting up to DFW once in a while) because I was at a crossroads and was just plain sick of the cold whether, and ridiculous cost of living. One word of caution on the last point...there is no state income tax, BUT because of this, the sales tax is 8.25% and property tax rates are astronomical. I am paying twice the taxes for a property assessed at less than half the value of my old place in MA. One way or another, the state government will get their money. LOL. So, Texas is much like NH in that regard. Where in MA are you living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,447,672 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I actually moved here to San Antonio from MA (love getting up to DFW once in a while) because I was at a crossroads and was just plain sick of the cold whether, and ridiculous cost of living. One word of caution on the last point...there is no state income tax, BUT because of this, the sales tax is 8.25% and property tax rates are astronomical. I am paying twice the taxes for a property assessed at less than half the value of my old place in MA. One way or another, the state government will get their money. LOL. So, Texas is much like NH in that regard. Where in MA are you living?
I think I have noticed the astronomical property taxes here too. I've done some very preliminary shopping online and it seems not unrealistic to expect around $3800 in taxes on a property valued around $150-160K. That boggles my mind. It seems, however, overall taxes are supposed to be less than other parts of the country.

It also seems that $150K buys a lot more house here in Texas than other parts of the country such as my native home of Minneapolis. In my preliminary shopping, it seems like you could find a reasonable though maybe non-flashy home for $150-160K (obviously depending on some specifics). In Minneapolis/St. Paul (just about the other end of I-35, even with its own "I-35W" and "I-35E"), $150K is likely to buy you either a really small house, a total rehab project, or a home in a neighborhood you don't want to live. So maybe that's a tradeoff? You could buy a decent home for less and, even paying the big property taxes, you can have a monthly payment you can live with? That's my impression, anyway - do longer-time Texans agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 AM
 
989 posts, read 1,447,672 times
Reputation: 928
By the way, MN has around 8% sales tax, and high state income taxes to boot...and they wonder why people are leaving the state and the average income has dropped in the last ten years.

Don't get me wrong, in a number of ways Minneapolis is a nice city to live - but between too many taxes and burdensome government, plus the less than attractive weather (to put it mildly) too many months of the year it has enough downsides for this MN native.

I do miss our Minnesota State Fair, which I hear rivals the Texas State Fair in size, believe it or not. I'll go this year and report to the masses. But if you're missing cheese curds, I think it will be a hard sell for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
2,174 posts, read 4,271,813 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I do miss our Minnesota State Fair, which I hear rivals the Texas State Fair in size, believe it or not. I'll go this year and report to the masses. But if you're missing cheese curds, I think it will be a hard sell for me...
But we will have deep-fried Thanksgiving dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM
 
46 posts, read 66,947 times
Reputation: 16
I am very interested in all the information that I have received so far. I will start some more research and come back with what I have learnt or ask for more suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top