U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM

46 posts, read 68,144 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I hope everyone is doing well and is less confused than I am. I am on the verge of relocating at least I want to be. I am in the age range of 25 and 32 so is my husband. He is an over the road trucker and I am an Assistant Store Manager for a Retail company. We lived in Florida in a small city but Moved to MA where the economy is better than that of FL. Traffic sucks if you need to work in Boston city which I was for a few months than God for a transfer to a closer location.

The company that I work for has stores in TX(all over) so getting a transfer should not be impossible it might not be fast because I refuse to go to an economically depressed area which would be infused with crime and violence. My husband will not have an issue with his job because one is spends days at a time on the road and off the road plus his company has a branch in Grand Prairie and Cedar Hill or cedar Park I cant remember which its called.

1.Where do you think is a good place to live that is not expensive as it relates to renting or mortgage (no more than $1000 per month).

2.It has a good economy or allows easy access to another city that has a good job market(even though im in retail i'm doing my masters in HR so I can step into that field as well)

3.Definitely not a heavy crime infested area

4.Not predominate to any particular race or ethnicity a good mixture is pleasing to me.

5. Family oriented area would be a plus I am planning on having a little one or two sooner than later.

6. Access to public transportation would be good(I have found that sometimes its fun to take the train to have a day out on the town).

Hubby wants to be close to a big city he likes a little excitement but we want to be able to run away to our home without all the hustle and bustle and run right back in if we feel to or need to.

Please give me your honest opinions. I have used this site before and the answers I got were very helpful and the individuals felt like friends.
Cheer all I hope to read a message from you all soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM

989 posts, read 1,498,683 times
I moved to the Dallas area as part of a job offer a few months ago. I chose Addison because it was near work so I could walk if I want to and seemed to have what I need. The apartment complex I am in has some variety of age ranges but seems to have a fair number of people in your age range. That said, apartments might be a bit high to your requested price range, though my apartment is nice enough for me. My particular complex isn't "anti-family" but the apartments probably are geared to the single person in terms of size and layout. That said, I think you can find something nearby that might have more yard space, etc.

As far as jobs, it seems like jobs are not much of a problem here in Dallas and there are no shortage of restaurants and shops in the area, indicating a decent economy. Furthermore, don't forget Texas has no state income tax so you take home more of your paycheck. Admittedly, we also have some toll roads and, when you buy a house, it seems property taxes are high. However, from what I've seen Texas has relatively lower taxes than other states, definitely MA.

This part of Dallas/Addison, crime does not seem to be an issue.

Honestly, Addison is pretty white and suburban but the community I'm did have music nights that brought in free live music on Saturdays that was jazz and salsa music which brought a big mix of people. I hear Plano to the east of Addison is more diverse if you really need diversity. It also seems Carrollton to the west of Addison has a definite Hispanic population.

Public transportation - while there is a train line and there are buses Dallas doesn't seem known for public transport. I would not rely on buses or trains on a normal basis. From what I hear, that is pretty much what you should expect from about anywhere in Texas - you need a car.

Hopefully, others from Texas will comment further...

Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Thank you GB. I did not think of Addison. I will certainly start researching the area. I have Plano on my list so im now looking forward to what my research will reveal. So what is the price range for appartments in Addison. I plan to rent for a year or less then purchase a home and I do want a good size yard. I dont mind being 30-45 mins away from the big city Dallas in order to have the yard space. So since that most people dont rely on the public transit system is the traffic very congested(like on a regular day will it take a person 20 mins to travel 3 miles)?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Default GBCommenter n Cedar Hill

Hey GB what do you think or know about Cedar hill?

Will it accommodate any of the request that I mentioned below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I moved to the Dallas area as part of a job offer a few months ago. I chose Addison because it was near work so I could walk if I want to and seemed to have what I need. The apartment complex I am in has some variety of age ranges but seems to have a fair number of people in your age range. That said, apartments might be a bit high to your requested price range, though my apartment is nice enough for me. My particular complex isn't "anti-family" but the apartments probably are geared to the single person in terms of size and layout. That said, I think you can find something nearby that might have more yard space, etc.

As far as jobs, it seems like jobs are not much of a problem here in Dallas and there are no shortage of restaurants and shops in the area, indicating a decent economy. Furthermore, don't forget Texas has no state income tax so you take home more of your paycheck. Admittedly, we also have some toll roads and, when you buy a house, it seems property taxes are high. However, from what I've seen Texas has relatively lower taxes than other states, definitely MA.

This part of Dallas/Addison, crime does not seem to be an issue.

Honestly, Addison is pretty white and suburban but the community I'm did have music nights that brought in free live music on Saturdays that was jazz and salsa music which brought a big mix of people. I hear Plano to the east of Addison is more diverse if you really need diversity. It also seems Carrollton to the west of Addison has a definite Hispanic population.

Public transportation - while there is a train line and there are buses Dallas doesn't seem known for public transport. I would not rely on buses or trains on a normal basis. From what I hear, that is pretty much what you should expect from about anywhere in Texas - you need a car.

Hopefully, others from Texas will comment further...

Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Cedar Hill or Plano relocating from MA

Hi everyone
I hope everyone is doing well and is less confused than I am.
I am looking to relocate and I need so help from you locals from TX. My husband and I are in the age range of 25 and 32. He is an over the road trucker and I am an Assistant Store Manager for a Retail company. We lived in Florida in a small city but Moved to MA where the economy is better than that of FL. Traffic sucks if you need to work in Boston city which I was for a few months then Thanked God for a involuntary transfer to a closer location.

The company that I work for has stores in TX(all over) so getting a transfer should not be impossible it might not be fast because I refuse to go to an economically depressed area which would be infused with crime and violence. My husband will not have an issue with his job because he spends days at a time on the road plus his company has a branch in Grand Prairie and Cedar Hill. We plan to rent for awhile while we scope out houses and such before we buy within a year at most two years because I want yard space

1.Where do you think is a good place to live that is not expensive as it relates to renting or mortgage (no more than $1000 per month).

2.Somewhere that has a good economy or allows easy access to another city that has a good job market(even though I am in retail i'm doing my masters in HR so I can step into that field as well which would be a step I will eventually take if things with my company doesn't work out for me how I think they will)

3.Definitely not a heavy crime infested area

4.Not predominate to any particular race or ethnicity; a good mixture is pleasing to me.

5. Family oriented area would be a plus I am planning on having a little one or two sooner than later. This would mean good school district and easy access to learning Spanish.

Any other suggestion would be great.

6. Access to public transportation would be good but not necessary(I have found that sometimes its fun to take the train to have a day out on the town).

7. What does the average person take home as their salary to be able to survive comfortably we lead a very easy going life style.

You insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM

4,149 posts, read 4,710,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
Hi everyone
I hope everyone is doing well and is less confused than I am.
I am looking to relocate and I need so help from you locals from TX. My husband and I are in the age range of 25 and 32. He is an over the road trucker and I am an Assistant Store Manager for a Retail company. We lived in Florida in a small city but Moved to MA where the economy is better than that of FL. Traffic sucks if you need to work in Boston city which I was for a few months then Thanked God for a involuntary transfer to a closer location.

The company that I work for has stores in TX(all over) so getting a transfer should not be impossible it might not be fast because I refuse to go to an economically depressed area which would be infused with crime and violence. My husband will not have an issue with his job because he spends days at a time on the road plus his company has a branch in Grand Prairie and Cedar Hill. We plan to rent for awhile while we scope out houses and such before we buy within a year at most two years because I want yard space

1.Where do you think is a good place to live that is not expensive as it relates to renting or mortgage (no more than $1000 per month). Cedar Hill would be cheaper, but Plano is much larger and therefore has a higher amount of rentals. Cedar Hill mainly has single family homes.

2.Somewhere that has a good economy or allows easy access to another city that has a good job market(even though I am in retail i'm doing my masters in HR so I can step into that field as well which would be a step I will eventually take if things with my company doesn't work out for me how I think they will) The entire DFW area has a healthy economy.

3.Definitely not a heavy crime infested area. Both have low crime rates, very similar to one another.

4.Not predominate to any particular race or ethnicity; a good mixture is pleasing to me. Both cities are diverse, with Plano leaning more toward Asian, Cedar Hill more African American.

5. Family oriented area would be a plus I am planning on having a little one or two sooner than later. This would mean good school district and easy access to learning Spanish. Plano schools are among the best n the nation. The Collegiate High School in Cedar Hill has an Exemplary rating, the highest rating given by the state. Any district in Texas is great for learning Spanish.

Any other suggestion would be great.

6. Access to public transportation would be good but not necessary(I have found that sometimes its fun to take the train to have a day out on the town). Plano has a commuter rail. Cedar Hill does not. The commute by car is more brutal coming from Plano, as more people live north of Dallas.

7. What does the average person take home as their salary to be able to survive comfortably we lead a very easy going life style. You get more for your money in Cedar Hill.

You insight will be greatly appreciated.
Answers in bold. I moved to San Antonio from a small town in MA, but am familiar with Dallas.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,387,705 times
If you think that your jobs are going to be on the southern side of the Metroplex -- Cedar Hill, south Grand Prairie -- then I would choose Cedar Hill over Plano. You don't want to commute between southern Dallas County to Collin County. You will go insane. And Cedar Hill overall is cheaper as well. Not to mention it's prettier as it's in the hilliest part of Dallas County, not far from Joe Pool Lake, Cedar Hill State Park, etc.

Though many people on this forum either dismiss the southern sector or ignore it in favor of the northern burbs, Cedar Hill is quite nice, especially now that there are developments like this: Uptown Village Cedar Hill - Home

However, if you're concerned about school districts then Plano is a better bet.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Default Thanks for the input but...

Thank you so much for the information.
Do you suggest ant other cities I can research that has the same criteria?
Why did you move from San Antonio?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Default Trudat tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
If you think that your jobs are going to be on the southern side of the Metroplex -- Cedar Hill, south Grand Prairie -- then I would choose Cedar Hill over Plano. You don't want to commute between southern Dallas County to Collin County. You will go insane.

I do not want to go insane at all. I think I have had enough of that here in MA.

It is my husbands job that is located in Grand Prairie he will only be going there twice to thrice per month so I am not that worried about that infrequent commute.
And Cedar Hill overall is cheaper as well. Not to mention it's prettier as it's in the hilliest part of Dallas County, not far from Joe Pool Lake, Cedar Hill State Park, etc. I love the hills and scenic areas so that sounds good. Why is it cheaper though? Is it due to the demographics of race?

Though many people on this forum either dismiss the southern sector or ignore it in favor of the northern burbs, Cedar Hill is quite nice, especially now that there are developments like this: Uptown Village Cedar Hill - Home

What is the selling pitch for the northern burbs vs the southern burbs?

However, if you're concerned about school districts then Plano is a better bet.
How good or bad would you say Cedar Hill's school district is in comparison to Plano? Do you have any other suggestions for other cities?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Default thenewtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Answers in bold. I moved to San Antonio from a small town in MA, but am familiar with Dallas.
Thank you so much for the information.
Do you suggest ant other cities I can research that has the same criteria?
Why did you move from San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or