U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,778,578 times

Advertisements

Although Lakewooder makes good points about Lakewood having improved its schools, I would not send my kids to DISD schools if I felt like I had an exceptionally bright or exceptional kids. Despite new programs, with the exceptions of the magnet schools, none of the other DISD schools have had much success earning NMSFs or matriculating to top schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,402,785 times
Wouldn't exceptionally bright kids in DISD constitute them going to a magnet?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM

743 posts, read 1,066,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Wouldn't exceptionally bright kids in DISD constitute them going to a magnet?
Haters gonna hate

Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,402,785 times
I completely understand where HockDad is coming from as we are struggling to decide what to do with our kids. Stay where we are that is a DISD Vangaurd/Magnet Elementary and hope they are smart enough to get into a DISD Magnet Middle/High School or move them into a district that takes even the lower end students and gets them excepted in a 4 year(HPISD). But if I feel and it is shown in testing that my kids are exceptionally bright, why would I choose to spend much much more money to move into the bubble or send to a bubble(private) school when they can get some of the top education possible at a Dallas Magnet.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I completely understand where HockDad is coming from as we are struggling to decide what to do with our kids. Stay where we are that is a DISD Vangaurd/Magnet Elementary and hope they are smart enough to get into a DISD Magnet Middle/High School or move them into a district that takes even the lower end students and gets them excepted in a 4 year(HPISD). But if I feel and it is shown in testing that my kids are exceptionally bright, why would I choose to spend much much more money to move into the bubble or send to a bubble(private) school when they can get some of the top education possible at a Dallas Magnet.
Let's stay on topic, though. OP wants to know about neighborhood schools in Dallas east of Central. We can rehash these debates in an old thread.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM

258 posts, read 438,500 times
You haven't really said what your budget is. To me, that's the deciding factor between Lakewood and Lake Highlands. If you have the budget to buy a 50's ranch style in Lakewood and add onto it, I think that is by far the better investment, both from a property AND education standpoint. Lakewood (75214) is HOT right now and has become the "it" place to live within Dallas city limits.

Lake Highlands has some lovely homes, many of which are large enough even without adding on. You could probably put the extra dollars into updating/upgrading kitchens and bathrooms (and possibly even the exterior) as many of those homes are 70s/80s and beginning to look very dated.

Both Lake Highlands and Lakewood are wonderful places to raise a family. Kids ride their bikes in the streets, parents socialize, plenty of parks/playgrounds and restaurants are family-oriented.

If you're looking for walkability to shopping, bars, restaurants, take both Lake Highlands and Lakewood off the list and look in M Streets or Old East Dallas. These houses are older and may need more work, but if you're up for the challenge, the neighborhoods are wonderful for families. Lots of porch parties, people walking their dogs, kids riding bikes, plus the added bonus of being able to walk to Starbucks and other restaurants. Elementary schools for both those neighborhoods (Stonewall for M Streets and Lipscomb for East Dallas) feed into Long and Woodrow.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,778,578 times
I am a fan of White Rock Elem., as our numerous other people. Likewise, I am confident that Lakewood Elem is a fine school. The real issue is junior high and high school, and lets be frank, none of the options are especially good. Personally, I would put my kids in LHHS before I would stick them in WW, but that is just my opinion. I would certainly advise you to tour both schools, look at SAT scores, class offerings, drop-out rates, college matriculation, etc. to gain your own opinion.

Back to my original point, if your kid is a star, neither school is an especially good option. Try private schools or a suburb.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Back to my original point, if your kid is a star, neither school is an especially good option. Try private schools or a suburb.
If your kid is a star ANY school will work. Woodrow's valedictorian last year was accepted to Harvard. The previous two years sent kids to Yale. The top 1% at Woodrow does not suffer.

What is admittedly scary is if you kid is slightly above par. But that is some complicated game theory. If junior is 1150-1200 SAT type what is better?

a) going to a safe white suburban school like Flower Mound and finishing 35%? College options: OU, Tech, TCU

b) Going to an elite private school and finishing 65%? College options: Tulane, Rhodes, Colorado

c) Going to a stratified school like Woodrow and finishing 15%? College options: UTD, OU, Tulane

Does it really matter who they sit next to in ninth grade? Yes, some Mexican immigrants kid might sit next to your kid at Woodrow. A black 'apartment kid' might be in the Spanish class at Lake Highlands. So?

OP's kid is FOUR. They don't need to play this out in their heads yet. We don't live in the Upper West Side anymore precisely because this type of parenting-as-sport is nauseating. Very few kids with loving and present parents end up sucking at life. I went to sh!tty Bryan Adams and have excellent degrees. My dad's BFF was a crappy, absent parent and his kids are barely alive; the zipcode didn't save them.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,859,317 times
We don't send that many to Ivy League schools, but there are some. In 2007 the valedictorian and salutatorian both went, and scanning the newspaper that year, I did not see any other DFW area school, public or private, which had both going...

I've known quite a few over the years and none of them has flunked out nor faltered. In fact many have done exceptionally well. We had one who graduated a few years ago has posted here. I won't reveal his name but he went to Princeton and was elected president of the Tigertones singing group, which tours all over the world (and Woodrow!).

Here's another: Woodrow grad Matthew George a hit at Yale Lakewood

and another at Columbia:
Cowboys recognize Woodrow Wilson grad Lizzie Cochran as 2012 Community Quarterback Award Winner | Dallas Cowboys Blog

I like to brag on this kid 'cause he when he was a baby he lived next door and we shared a cat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjggvGiJnd0

Last edited by Lakewooder; 09-06-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM

300 posts, read 1,088,687 times
Very good to know and thank you for that info! I was casually talking to a Realtor I ran into and have met briefly in the past- so I took advantage of the small talk to pick their brain a little. =) and they said that area is Richardson ISD. After that chat, I started my research which is still very green. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or