Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsimmons View Post
LH and Lakewood is very nice but watch out because it can go from nice to ghetto very quick
have lots of friends that live in there and they much prefer Lakewood over LH

Lake Highlands has gone downhill IMO. you see 500k-a million dollar homes and go one block and youre in the ghetto with people selling drugs on the corner. school has gone downhill as well.
Ridiculous. The trend is in the opposite direction. Lake Highlands has clearly and significantly gone UPHILL in the seven years I've lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Ridiculous. The trend is in the opposite direction. Lake Highlands has clearly and significantly gone UPHILL in the seven years I've lived here.
But which part do you live in? Northern LH (north of, let's say Royal) has seen low appreciation in home prices and white flight from the schools. The southern portion of the neighborhood has seen a much higher appreciation in value and strong school support-- especially on the southwest side (WRE).

Also, some of us have much longer memories. There was a time in the 70s and 80s when LH was THE neighborhood to move to. That is clearly not the case anymore. Its relative status as a neighborhood has unquestionably declined.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 55,319 times
I'm not sure how a decline from the 70's can possibly have any bearing on the OP's decision over where to move. Over the last 5-10 years, the area has gotten much better, with many of the low income apartments that used to flood the schools being razed. The truth is, with his/her budget, they are looking at the nicer parts of Lake Highlands, not the area north of 635.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStreetClassics View Post
I'm not sure how a decline from the 70's can possibly have any bearing on the OP's decision over where to move. Over the last 5-10 years, the area has gotten much better, with many of the low income apartments that used to flood the schools being razed. The truth is, with his/her budget, they are looking at the nicer parts of Lake Highlands, not the area north of 635.
I wouldn't call north of 635 LH. I was speaking to relative decline and the previous posters indignation.

You think Royal and Abrams has gotten better?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM

No, but like I said that's pretty far removed from the area the OP is likely asking about. Lakewood benefits from a defined small area, whereas Lake Highlands is at least 3 times bigger. If you wanted to compare apples to apples, Lake Highlands in this case would be represented by White Rock Valley and the L Streets, both areas that have seen steady improvement and property appreciation.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStreetClassics View Post
No, but like I said that's pretty far removed from the area the OP is likely asking about. Lakewood benefits from a defined small area, whereas Lake Highlands is at least 3 times bigger. If you wanted to compare apples to apples, Lake Highlands in this case would be represented by White Rock Valley and the L Streets, both areas that have seen steady improvement and property appreciation.
OP was about Merriman Park

Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I remember the 70s (and 80s) when LH looked down on Lakewood. I heard a realtor in LH Ebby office in the mid-80s say, "I won't show that trash down there in Lakewood".

Gotta say, at first it was fun when the tables were turned. Then I had a friend ask me to stop saying that Woodrow was rated higher than LH. She wrote me an impassioned email on the QT, saying there were a lot of problems and they are trying to turn things around. So I have kinda stopped the "copy cat" remarks.

I think LH schools are generally good. Let's just hope the middle and upper-middle class does not freak out and leave. That's been the pattern at almost every school once the low-income and minority population hits a certain point. That's another reason I am proud of Lakewood - we did not follow suit, we stuck with our schools - and look at us now.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
OP was about Merriman Park
My bad, read the original post when it was first made and didn't revisit

Still, I have family in that area and they really enjoy it. The street they're on is very quiet and their kids love Merriman Park Elem.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I wouldn't call north of 635 LH. I was speaking to relative decline and the previous posters indignation.

You think Royal and Abrams has gotten better?
Actually, Royal and Abrams might have improved. 20 years ago the shopping center included a Food Lion, numerous empty spots, and 7-11 vacated the Southeast Corner. At one point, Tuesday Morning was one of the only stores in the whole shopping center. Since that time, the shopping center has improved.

Now if you are talking about the apartments on the east side of the intersection, they stink and have continued to stink. But I have not noticed them getting much worse than they were 20 years ago. The homes in the area (say the surrounding 2 mile radius) are pretty darn nice.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Actually, Royal and Abrams might have improved. 20 years ago the shopping center included a Food Lion, numerous empty spots, and 7-11 vacated the Southeast Corner. At one point, Tuesday Morning was one of the only stores in the whole shopping center. Since that time, the shopping center has improved.

Now if you are talking about the apartments on the east side of the intersection, they stink and have continued to stink. But I have not noticed them getting much worse than they were 20 years ago. The homes in the area (say the surrounding 2 mile radius) are pretty darn nice.
The shopping center may have improved but many residents living there - particularly north of Abrams - don't feel safe in their neighborhood anymore. Especially after the rash of brazen burglaries in the past year where homes were broken into & ransacked at night while owners were home and asleep.

I have extended family who lived in the NW quadrant of Abrams & Royal and sold their home this year because the wife just didn't feel safe in their 15+ year neighborhood anymore. Car break-ins, transients from Forest / 635 area walking around, bottles in the alley, and the break ins. Several of their long-time neighbors also sold for the same reason.

Forest "Ghetto" is seeping south and if it ever goes far enough south to connect to the Park Lane/ Abrams "Five Points" area....game over for the greater LH area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas