U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM

23 posts, read 58,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I think SM hit the nail on the head. I think it depends what you're friends are really after...do they prefer a large lot in a more rural setting, or an average sized lot (.2-.25 acres) with closer proximity to retail and "town" activities? That is the main difference. There is not enough of a difference between the school districts quality-wise (with the exception of exposure to a more diverse economic demographic...which you won't get any of in Prosper) to be a huge concern. Prosper does have the one-high-school set up so may have greater overall community school spirit, but Mckinney being more established, and with three high school, will, at least at this point in time, have more opportunities for extracurriculars and not-the-norm class offerings.

As far as the busing...pretty much all suburbs provide buses for the students after elementary school for the neighborhoods that are more than a mile or two away from the school...so I assume by "busing" you mean bringing in students from from poorer area of town to further away richer areas and vice versa. In that case, the simple answer is yes, Mckinney does do that to some degree...but it is not nearly as extreme as people make it sound. In an effort to equalize the large discrepancy in demographics in the city, the zoning boundaries tend to run in east/wests strips, versus north/south, which prevents the middle and high schools from ending up in a rich school/ poor school situation. This means in SOME neighborhoods the students are traveling further to middle/ high school although there is geographically a closer choice. That said, it isn't a pick and choose situation on an individual basis. ALL kids from that neighborhood/area go to that same school...so they are still with the same kids they have gone to elementary school with, etc. As the rest of Mckinney is developed, and additional high schools are added, this probably won't be necessary, but as it stand now, the east side of Mckinney is a MUCH different economic demographic than the west side. Personally, I don't find this to be a big deal at all, and appreciate the fact that my kids will be going to school with kids from all walks of life. For someone who is really bothered by their kids having to drive (or ride) an extra 5 minutes, you can always look closely at the zoning maps and choose an area that feeds to its closest middle and high school. However, do be aware that rezoning is planned for next school year I think, and we have a new superintendent as of a year or two a go, so who knows exactly how that all will, or will not, change. From what I understand, there are definitely those in the city that are opposed to how the boundaries are set up and also those that are for it. However, I can tell you that from my personal experience, I have yet to talk to any parent that was upset about the school they have been zoned to...and yes, this includes parents who kids are traveling the further distance too.

Here is a link to the current boundary maps so you can draw your own conclusion:

Middle School:
http://www.mckinneyisd.net/informati...one_2011_e.pdf

High School:
http://www.mckinneyisd.net/informati...hool-08-09.pdf

Thanks so much for the input I am going to pass this info along. I agree with your points about the demographic,Mc Kinney being more diverse economically and racially....Prosper being mostly upper middle-upper income,not racially diverse at all.I personally have no issues with a mixed student body...I think it is not a plus or a minus for many students.

I will say,Stonebridge Ranch is one of the nicest developments I have ever seen for the price.Love that beach front pool by Adriatica. It seems like Stonebridge might be a better fit for our friends around $300,000 budget than Prosper.They could go up to $400,000, but prefer to stay around $300,000.For us, coming from the M streets with $600,000 to spend we felt like we could not budge on the quarter acre lot,something really important to both my husband and I.Prosper is a perfect fit for us for a number of reasons,but I am happy to be so close to the Stonebridge area.I also just found out that Sprouts is opening in a few days right off 380,thrilled about that. Stonebridge seems like a perfect fit for someone who likes the rolling hills and ambiance but does not need or want the somewhat costly upkeep of Prosper lots sizes/higher median home prices.

I was wondering what they are putting in on the 380 on the Mc Kinney side before it turns to Prosper.I drove past yesterday and saw a bunch of land cleared with concrete going in.Anyone know?

Last edited by Prius732; 09-08-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 AM

7,000 posts, read 9,696,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius732 View Post
Thanks so much for the input I am going to pass this info along. I agree with your points about the demographic,Mc Kinney being more diverse economically and racially....Prosper being mostly upper middle-upper income,not racially diverse at all.I personally have no issues with a mixed student body...I think it is not a plus or a minus for many students.

I will say,Stonebridge Ranch is one of the nicest developments I have ever seen for the price.Love that beach front pool by Adriatica. It seems like Stonebridge might be a better fit for our friends around $300,000 budget than Prosper.They could go up to $400,000, but prefer to stay around $300,000.For us, coming from the M streets with $600,000 to spend we felt like we could not budge on the quarter acre lot,something really important to both my husband and I.Prosper is a perfect fit for us for a number of reasons,but I am happy to be so close to the Stonebridge area.I also just found out that Sprouts is opening in a few days right off 380,thrilled about that. Stonebridge seems like a perfect fit for someone who likes the rolling hills and ambiance but does not need or want the somewhat costly upkeep of Prosper lots sizes/higher median home prices.

I was wondering what they are putting in on the 380 on the Mc Kinney side before it turns to Prosper.I drove past yesterday and saw a bunch of land cleared with concrete going in.Anyone know?
Are you talking about the NW corner of the intersection of Custer and 380? At one time a Kohl's was supposed to go in there, the parking lot was paved several years ago... if my memory serves me about the time the economy took the nose dive (2008 maybe?) and Kohl's but the expansion on ice. I did notice some activity there recently, but don't know what it will be.

FYI, the intersection of Preston and 380 is going to one day be a very high end retail development, supposedly one of the new malls that aren't malls... like Firewheel and Fairview. Don't have any more details but one of the Cowboy bigwigs (Jerry Jones? Roger Staubach?) is said to be developing it.

As far as middle school busing in McKinney, for the most part it is bringing disadvantaged areas on the far east side to the more prosperous west side. 4 of the 5 middle schools are west of Central and that 5th one, Faubion is adjacent to Ron Poe Stadium, just a couple of blocks east of Central in a decent neighborhood. Its not like anyone is sent to somewhere undesirable. Faubion's campus is the original McKinney High School, that's the reason the stadium is adjacent.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 09-09-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,190,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Ar
FYI, the intersection of Preston and 380 is going to one day be a very high end retail development, supposedly one of the new malls that aren't malls... like Firewheel and Fairview. Don't have any more details but one of the Cowboy bigwigs (Jerry Jones? Roger Staubach?) is said to be developing it.
It's Jerry Jones and I believe it's called the Gates of Prosper. If you ever see a sign with "Blue Star" on it, it's one of Jerry's projects. He owns a ton of land in that area.

A little OT, but I'm pretty sure I knew your nephew Saintmarks. I went to Prosper and graduated around the same time, and considering how small Prosper HS was then, the odds are high that I'm familiar with him.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 58,235 times
The Gates of Prosper (Preston &380) is starting construction early 2014....opening Fall 2015,.seems like it will be nice.Here is some info from August 21 st.....

Lincoln Property Co. rounding up tenants for new Prosper retail project | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

The spot I am wondering about is on 380 about 100 feet away from Tucker Hill,near the Stonebridge entrance.It is currently being paved and there is a large area where they are starting to prep for something....

Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,997,270 times
The only thing I can find on the city's zoning map is a wirless (At&T) tower going in in that location.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,908,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
The only thing I can find on the city's zoning map is a wirless (At&T) tower going in in that location.
I drove by today. It didn't look like a tower build. Looked like some type of residential. I am far from expert on this though.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,997,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I drove by today. It didn't look like a tower build. Looked like some type of residential. I am far from expert on this though.
Hmmm...could be. Part of the expansion of Tucker Hill maybe?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 PM

718 posts, read 1,105,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
If commute is Frisco then both Prosper & McKinney are ok, if you consider commuting to DFW attractions and prospect of job change then neither of these are ideally located.

Schools are ok in both towns but none belongs with first tier steller school districts. Apparently, schools aren't top priority so just go with the house you like.
.......nice insult! You realize that most ISD in the area are really good , especially in Collin County .....seriously people ......back to reality!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 PM

7,000 posts, read 9,696,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
.......nice insult! You realize that most ISD in the area are really good , especially in Collin County .....seriously people ......back to reality!
There is a faction here that think you are guilty of child neglect if you don't have your kids in either Plano, Highland Park or Southlake ISDs.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,908,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I thought it was a last sentence parting shot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or