U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 PM

46 posts, read 66,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The highest elevation in Dallas County/Cedar Hill is around 870' or 265 m above sea level.

This is about as "mountainous" as it gets in N. Texas:

wikipedia.org

Those are hills, not mountains.

The climate of North Texas is humid-subtropical. Mild to moderate winters with extreme summers.
That is pretty flat but you know what at least I am seeing trees i'll be fine when I need to see mountains or high hills I will take a trip to the islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Default dollaztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I definitely don't see Cedar Hill in the same negative connotation that some people have towards south Dallas. I agree with the above posts. I perceive someone with a Cedar Hill address as interesting and also smart. Interesting because they don't go with the flow like everybody else who moves north of Dallas. Smart because they live a lot closer to the city then people who live in Frisco or Plano and the area is also new, nice and actually has topography. I perceive them as more outdoorsy because of the hills, the state park and the Joe Pool lake. My dream house in DFW would be the area in Cedar Hill where you can see the lake, Grand Prairie and beyond going north on Mansfield Rd/Lake Ridge Parkway.

This is the area I'm talking about on Google Maps.
I am never really one to go with the crowd unless the crowd is doing the right thing in my opinion and from research findings. I want to visit there and see what it is like but I am not sure how I can make that happen with my job and me having my family here. I have always done blind moves in a sense and I have not had any regrets thankfully. I want to continue on that path. I do want to own my dream home soon no more than two years from now. I have been seeing houses for 200 and 300 thousand .

Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Default SouthernBelleInUtah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
For comparison, I have a 2008 Subaru Tribeca and I just paid $68 to renew my state tax tag.
-I like the lack of really cold weather and tolerate the summer (I moved from Salt Lake City).
-I don't like the high property tax and the higher homeowners insurance for less coverage.
-Getting around is quite easy.
-My sense is that almost everyone you come across on a daily basis is very friendly and helpful.
-It is hard to make friends out in the suburbs b/c everyone is working and busy with their family; after one year I have 2 friends and I am pretty outgoing.
My husband has two older vehicles one 2001 VW we got rid of and still had to pay excise taxes for the other is a 1999 and of course we paid for that too. I hate it. So the property taxes there are high you say? I am not sure I want to live in a HOA compound but hubby does he doesn't want to have to do the lawn or paint(we should have a son and have him do it .lol) What are the roads like? are the express ways more than 3 lanes? I have found the inability to make friends quite common in most places. The older I get the more picky I am about who I want in my circle so I am not too worried about it. 2 quality friends are better than a large quantity of unnecessary and or bad friends.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM

19,644 posts, read 53,568,232 times
Most highways/toll roads are 6 lanes. Connector streets are usually 4 lanes. The rapid growth has meant the suburbs were planned and I think "they" did a good job - no haphazard slow building. It also means no mom-and-pop places in the suburbs for the most part. It's chain city until you get to the oldest areas just outside Dallas.

All new areas have HOAs across the country as cities have found it cheaper to let them deal with complaints such as grass not cut, cars in the yard, etc. Only in a townhome development will the HOA cut the front yard and then check to make sure. For SFH you cut your own grass.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,015,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
I am not sure I want to live in a HOA compound but hubby does he doesn't want to have to do the lawn or paint(we should have a son and have him do it .lol) .
Even with an HOA, you would be responsible for cutting your own lawn and the upkeep of your home. There may be some communities that do that stuff, but probably just condos or some townhome communities.

Are you still looking for a job? I would really focus on that first, before zeroing in on Cedar Hill. The metroplex is huge and your commute from one end to the other could be quite awful. I would also just call and get some moving quotes. (they are usually free) We packed ourselves but had movers load the truck and move us. Our move from Houston to Dallas was about $4500 ten years ago. (it is about 300 miles).

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,918,723 times
It's "Cedar HILL", not "Cedar MOUNTAIN". No mountains there, although a few people tend to make a "mountain" out of a "hill".

It's certainly unusual and quite pretty when compared to most other parts of the DFW area.

Heck even the Hill Country folks are smart enough to name theirs "hills" and not mountains, and those are certainly a lot taller than anything in Cedar Hill.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,492,540 times
Im curious as to why you picked cedar hill?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Default jennifw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Even with an HOA, you would be responsible for cutting your own lawn and the upkeep of your home. There may be some communities that do that stuff, but probably just condos or some townhome communities.

Are you still looking for a job? I would really focus on that first, before zeroing in on Cedar Hill. The metroplex is huge and your commute from one end to the other could be quite awful. I would also just call and get some moving quotes. (they are usually free) We packed ourselves but had movers load the truck and move us. Our move from Houston to Dallas was about $4500 ten years ago. (it is about 300 miles).

Good luck!
10 years ago it was that price.? wow that was pricey. I got quotes to move from FL to MA and it was about the same cost or that ball park. Man that's expensive for 10 years ago. Yes I am planning on job hunting first. I do plan to rent for a short while extending no more than a year to 2 years with my husband I need to give him precise statements. He doesn't want the whole store just the logic..lol hence the reason I am looking into areas to buy a home that will be more beneficial to us than what here has to offer.

Do you have any suggestions of companies I can look in to for HR? or Business in General. No shift work though.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Default DaveG99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Im curious as to why you picked cedar hill?
I honed in to Cedar Hills because of the fact that it seems to be diverse. It is just about in the middle of Dallas and Forth Worth as it relates to driving time. I want to buy a home soon and I see that they have houses there that are not ridiculously priced for the lot size and house size. It is close to other cities however I have read that Lancaster and DeSoto are not the best cities to live in if I am looking for safety first this I do not know as I have not personally research this claim. My husband's company is also not very far away in Grand Prairie. Why do you ask? What are your thoughts?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Default jennifw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
In FL HOA complexes you didn't do anything really. Well in PSL that is.

Are you still looking for a job?
Yes I am still looking for a job even though I have not sent out an application in the TX area as yet. I will do that once I can zero-in on specific companies to target.
I would really focus on that first, before zeroing in on Cedar Hill.
I agree with you

The metroplex is huge and your commute from one end to the other could be quite awful. That I dont want at all. I have dealt with a similar situation here in MA.

I would also just call and get some moving quotes. (they are usually free) We packed ourselves but had movers load the truck and move us. Our move from Houston to Dallas was about $4500 ten years ago. (it is about 300 miles).

Good luck!
Thanks alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas