U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM

46 posts, read 66,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
It's "Cedar HILL", not "Cedar MOUNTAIN". No mountains there, although a few people tend to make a "mountain" out of a "hill".

It's certainly unusual and quite pretty when compared to most other parts of the DFW area.

Heck even the Hill Country folks are smart enough to name theirs "hills" and not mountains, and those are certainly a lot taller than anything in Cedar Hill.
Hills or mountains either one works just fine. I want to see some green
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

298 posts, read 399,676 times
I believe the trend is reversing somewhat on HOAs, at least in Texas. I bought a new Meritage Home in Cedar Hill and I don't pay HOA dues. Builders feel the pressure as more people are turning against HOAs and they are letting people come into some new communities under a "maybe later" kind of agreement with regards to the prospect of starting up the HOA. Now with the Texas Legislature taking some power from them I don't think they will ever get off the ground in many of these new neighborhoods. Everyone keeps their homes nice and yards manicured, we don't need an HOA to tell us to do that. And no one has painted their house hot pink yet, which is the line I always hear. I guess that one person who wants to do that to a $200,000 home is out there somewhere, so thousands have to pay HOA dues just in case he moves to their neighborhood.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,253,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted70 View Post
I honed in to Cedar Hills because of the fact that it seems to be diverse. It is just about in the middle of Dallas and Forth Worth as it relates to driving time. I want to buy a home soon and I see that they have houses there that are not ridiculously priced for the lot size and house size. It is close to other cities however I have read that Lancaster and DeSoto are not the best cities to live in if I am looking for safety first this I do not know as I have not personally research this claim. My husband's company is also not very far away in Grand Prairie. Why do you ask? What are your thoughts?
Based on the criteria you are looking for, I would say Cedar Hill is definitely the best match. Regarding Lancaster and DeSoto, I've lived in both cities for a combined total of 25 years. They are actually decent, mostly middle-class communities with nice neighborhoods like other DFW suburbs. Neither is unsafe or a place to avoid. Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster have grown signficantly in recent years and they continue to attract new residents. Much of the negativity directed towards the southern suburbs on City-Data comes from people who have never lived here or those with poor knowledge of the area in general. Just a few things to consider while navigating through the forum. Regardless, you can enjoy a good quality of life in Cedar Hill or the other suburbs south of Dallas.

Welcome to Texas.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 66,814 times
Default Ablebodied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
I believe the trend is reversing somewhat on HOAs, at least in Texas. I bought a new Meritage Home in Cedar Hill and I don't pay HOA dues. Builders feel the pressure as more people are turning against HOAs and they are letting people come into some new communities under a "maybe later" kind of agreement with regards to the prospect of starting up the HOA. Now with the Texas Legislature taking some power from them I don't think they will ever get off the ground in many of these new neighborhoods. Everyone keeps their homes nice and yards manicured, we don't need an HOA to tell us to do that. And no one has painted their house hot pink yet, which is the line I always hear. I guess that one person who wants to do that to a $200,000 home is out there somewhere, so thousands have to pay HOA dues just in case he moves to their neighborhood.
I love the fact that that is happening because there are hardly people who would really plan and execute painting their homes in hot pink. In fL the neighborhood was well kept by each individual household. The lawn man was very happy because he did such a good job at one home that he ended up having to hire people to work for him to help out with the workload. I love when the lil man gets a chance at making some money too

Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,367,529 times
I'm all for homeowners, to an extent.

There are those people out there who just don't care how their yard & neighborhood looks. All they care about is a place to shelter them from the elements & lay their heads at night.

I've noticed even people with money do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas