U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,398,677 times

Advertisements

Bring quite a bit of cash.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,647,832 times
For those who haven't been, I second the comment that the fair is HUGE. Plan to spend many hours seeing everything. I grew up in Oregon, and the Texas fair makes the Oregon state fair look like a county 4H show.

It's been years since I've been up there to the fair since I'm down in Austin, but I just found out yesterday my boss is being transferred to Dallas and she wants me to go with her, so this will be a good opportunity to scope out the town.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

552 posts, read 735,178 times
Depending on where you are coming from, several buses -- 60, 111, 409, 595 -- also stop right in front (where the Green Line stops).

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,498,976 times
Im not a big fan of over priced food and rides all while trying to walk down a crowded street shoulder to shoulder with other people. I guess the same people who like the fair probably like Disney world too.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,398,677 times
Wisconsin's is quiet impressive that it draws in over 1 million annually in an 11 day period. Still the State Fair of Texas brings in 2-3 million every year.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM

3,815 posts, read 3,727,257 times
My opinion:
Go towards the end as the weather is cooler.
The petting zoo, a fried food or two, and the inside texas agriculture building are worth seeing (the Texas Ag area usually has free ice cream)
The auto show is a nice for a break, but is pretty sad for an auto show. It's more like an average dealer lot.
The botanical garden thing is nice too, and is free. I don't recall the exact name.
The Chinese Lantern Festival thing they did was really cool, but also very expensive.
A lot of it is paid booths for infomercial garbage.

I've never done any of the rides or the midway games, but the new Top of Texas tower (about 500 ft tall I think) or the big Ferris Wheel might be sort of nice if that's your thing.

DART is the easiest way to get there. Train has 2 stops, MLK and Fair Park. Parking is not cheap nor easy and Fair Park area is not a beautiful part of town.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,770,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
My opinion:
Go towards the end as the weather is cooler.
The petting zoo, a fried food or two, and the inside texas agriculture building are worth seeing (the Texas Ag area usually has free ice cream)
The auto show is a nice for a break, but is pretty sad for an auto show. It's more like an average dealer lot.
The botanical garden thing is nice too, and is free. I don't recall the exact name.
The Chinese Lantern Festival thing they did was really cool, but also very expensive.
A lot of it is paid booths for infomercial garbage.

I've never done any of the rides or the midway games, but the new Top of Texas tower (about 500 ft tall I think) or the big Ferris Wheel might be sort of nice if that's your thing.

DART is the easiest way to get there. Train has 2 stops, MLK and Fair Park. Parking is not cheap nor easy and Fair Park area is not a beautiful part of town.
I think that the Texas Ag area you refer to is the Texas Food & Fiber Building. If you look at the link, there is a calendar/time of samplings in the building: State Fair Of Texas

The Discovery Garden (the botanical garden) is not free, but is offering reduced admissions during the fair. Nice place for a break in the midst of the fair. Texas Discovery Gardens | Visitors & Events

There are lots of free things to do at the Fair:
Lots of live music throughout the park ~ check the daily schedule for who, what, where and when
Miking Parlor demos
See Elsie the cow from Borden
African Acrobats
Birds of the World (a personal favorite)
Puppet Shows
Pig Races
Backyard Circus
Cooking Demos
Jump! Ultimate Dog Show
Livestock judging

Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM

440 posts, read 673,254 times
We went last year-all my kids got free tickets through school-we used discounts from the paper for all the adults in our group -I think we got $4 off per ticket....my older niece took my youngest one and they did the farmland shows and went through the places with the smaller animals-my older three hit the rides and food and the only time I saw them was when they needed more $$$...we adults checked out the car show-animal shows-the butterfly garden-numerous pavilions of shopping a horse show or two and loads of other stuff...we hung around for the parade got our photos with ms dallas/ms texas and someone else...saw the fireworks and laser show-rode a couple of rides-the ferris wheel gave a great view of the city and surrounds take your camera). My sister and I went to the chinese lantern display at night-amazing...we drove because we were 8 people-parking was easy and cost $10 if I remember-we got there at opening time and left 1/2 before closing....it was pretty busy but not overwhelming plenty of space to sit and take a breather when we wanted-the outside is well patrolled by police and they also kept the traffic moving so there was no hassles getting in and out of the area..we had a great time and the kids loved it -although I don't think we'll be doing it this year though

Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 AM

989 posts, read 1,442,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Wisconsin's is quiet impressive that it draws in over 1 million annually in an 11 day period. Still the State Fair of Texas brings in 2-3 million every year.
Being from Minnesota, I am going to guess Wisconsin's is quiet because a bunch of Sconnie's skip their own and drive across the border for the Minnesota State Fair...

Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,805,426 times
Go when they first open and plan to leave when it gets busy.

We usually do the rides first then walk the exhibit halls/shows as it gets busy.

Find a shows schedule on line as plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas