Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Elsewhere doesn't deal with our climate - extreme heat and lengthy droughts. We plant for our climate.
I used to live in Georgia. Most of the state doesn't have our heat, but they have had droughts. I'm sure there are better ways to deal with both. I suppose it depends on which part of the state you're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
and public spaces aren't as clever as I've seen elsewhere
I'm not going to speak to lawns, but historically, Texas has had really lenient regulations at the city level for green space and trees and the like. Houston & Dallas both had almost no regulations for such things until enacted in the mid to late '90s, and the ones in place now are still very lenient compared to 'better landscaped' cities like Portland. I think the green cover requred in the Dallas area is about 10-15% of the property, and only one tree per 50 feet of linear sidewalk distance. Your average arborist would double those requirements for a hot climate like DFW. I can see Houston and Dallas improving these requirements in the not too distant future.

You can see the green space requirements for yourself: Compare your average giant parking lot built in the past to the ones done more recently. The difference in green cover is very noticeable.

Texas A&M has actually done very impressive work at finding plants and trees that work in a variety of situations and climates, and Texas cities are using that knowledge to improve the cost and maintenace of green space.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I'd say Live Oak or Pecan. I have two Pecan trees in my yard, they are excellent shade trees.

Both Live Oak and Pecan are native to Texas, so they can take the extreme heat and long periods of drought.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'm not going to speak to lawns, but historically, Texas has had really lenient regulations at the city level for green space and trees and the like. Houston & Dallas both had almost no regulations for such things until enacted in the mid to late '90s, and the ones in place now are still very lenient compared to 'better landscaped' cities like Portland. I think the green cover requred in the Dallas area is about 10-15% of the property, and only one tree per 50 feet of linear sidewalk distance. Your average arborist would double those requirements for a hot climate like DFW. I can see Houston and Dallas improving these requirements in the not too distant future.

You can see the green space requirements for yourself: Compare your average giant parking lot built in the past to the ones done more recently. The difference in green cover is very noticeable.

Texas A&M has actually done very impressive work at finding plants and trees that work in a variety of situations and climates, and Texas cities are using that knowledge to improve the cost and maintenace of green space.
I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed it. This state removes far too many of its trees and doesn't plant enough big ones. You'd think it's common sense in a state as hot as us.

Things are getting better, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I'd say Live Oak or Pecan. I have two Pecan trees in my yard, they are excellent shade trees.

Both Live Oak and Pecan are native to Texas, so they can take the extreme heat and long periods of drought.
You'll be waiting forever for that live oak to grow, though.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You'll be waiting forever for that live oak to grow, though.
Not really, a well watered and fertilized Red or Live oak can grow very well in a short time.

Pecan trees make a huge mess with all the stuff they drop. They are not a good landscape tree near a home.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
article in today's FTW paper about good trees for the area...
couldn't find it but did find this--interesting that quick growth is not top factor

The Garden Guru: Let’s talk trees | Neil Sperry | Dallas-Fort Worth Lifestyles News | ...

Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Pecan trees make a huge mess with all the stuff they drop. They are not a good landscape tree near a home.
Totally agree. They make a huge mess. I would not want one on my property. The sap, nuts, and husks will ruin a car parked under the tree, and the nuts become projectiles if you run over them with a lawnmower!!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
I like live oaks

Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Any opinions on Chinese Pistache?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Until this time of year when the squirrels are trying to throw all the pecans at you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas