U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM

284 posts, read 382,601 times

Advertisements

Are there better trees than others that will shade a house in Plano? We live at the end of a street facing east and the house has absolutely no shade in the front. It's like a sauna inside. I'd like to plant a tree now so that in 5 or so years we can start getting a little bit of shade. I know we want a deciduous tree (one that loses its leaves in the fall) so that we are not too shaded in the winter. I was thinking of a live oak, which is very pretty but I don't think is deciduous. On the other hand I really don't want a tree that drops tons of leaves for me to rake up. Something that drops small leaves that can be churned up with a lawn mower would be nice. Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,393,080 times
Contact these people.

http://www.tree-land.com/index.asp

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-08-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM

9,522 posts, read 19,572,551 times
Live Oaks only drop about 1/4 of their leaves annually. They are dropped in the spring, not fall. These are slow-growing trees, but they do flourish in our climate and soil.

Bradford Pears are horrible trees. They are pretty, but they are also messy and have a short life span.

Chinese Pisatche also does well in our climate and soil.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM

204 posts, read 256,817 times
We recently cut down a Bradford Pear tree that had reached the end of its life span as we were told. It was planted in 1990 when the house was built and had started shedding huge branches almost every week in less than a month when we moved in. Luckily no one was hurt and there was no other damage.

It was a nice huge tree and we were happy to have it in the backyard because it created kind of a partition between the back alley neighbours 2nd floor...we might plant it again, lets see.

Our neighbour has live oak and said they needs a lot of maintenance than say red oak...

Old 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM

19,651 posts, read 53,649,862 times
You need to search for Neil Sperry on FaceBook. He is the Garden Guru of Texas and many people, me included, swear by his advice. He has Notes near the top of the page that include best trees for TX.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,393,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Live Oaks only drop about 1/4 of their leaves annually. They are dropped in the spring, not fall. These are slow-growing trees, but they do flourish in our climate and soil.

Bradford Pears are horrible trees. They are pretty, but they are also messy and have a short life span.

Chinese Pisatche also does well in our climate and soil.
The Cleveland Pear is the better suited species of Bradford Pear for North Texas. It lives longer & has stronger branches which is needed in North Texas for hard freezes in the winter & high winds in the spring.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM

297 posts, read 407,913 times
Avoid Bradford Pears at all costs. They are not long living treels and they easily sustain wind damage often. When people say they lost a tree or half a tree to wind damage it is almost always a Bradford Pear.

Stay with the Oaks and Pistachio trees.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,890,536 times
Ash trees can be a good option too.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 PM

27,609 posts, read 45,105,335 times
get someone to assess your site--
ground makes a difference when you plant a tree that will be a large shade tree

you need to take into account the growth process--
you can't plant it too close to the house because 1--roots can damage foundation,
2--big canopy trees often wind up being cut back if planted too close when they were the wrong tree in first place,
3--a shade tree with heavy canopy will kill your grass -- especially if you have Bermuda...

agree with Neil Sperry site but buy a quality tree and have a tree company plant it--
in the fall when it is cooler--and be prepared to water it religiously for next year on specific schedule to make sure it lives...

Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,984,341 times
Very helpful site...

Texas Tree Selector

A few I recommend:
Chinese Pistache
Cedar Elm
Shumard Red Oak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas