U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,243,660 times

Advertisements

Dallas is a pig sty!

Hired Hog Trapper Has Three Years To Clean Out Dallas

"The feral pig population in Texas has grown to nearly 3 million, roughly half of all the feral hogs in the country. In Dallas, they are bathing in rivers, spreading diseases, ruining the parks - basically, turning the city into a pig sty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Soon we will have no choice but to allow some sort of urban hunting or we are going to be in trouble.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
If hunters were allowe to shoot hogs with impunity, we could eradicate them. The problem is that many landowners want hunters to PAY for the "privilege" of hunting the hogs. As long as this stays the practice, we will not be able to control the feral hog population.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
mmmmm....free range BACON!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
I don't eat pork and I'm not a fan of hunting but if I had feral hogs on my property, I'd allow anyone to go shoot them. They can be aggressive, dangerous nuisances.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM

5,269 posts, read 7,197,397 times
They need to let hunters kill these hogs before they spread even more. I don't want to see any hogs in my neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,645,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
They need to let hunters kill these hogs before they spread even more. I don't want to see any hogs in my neighborhood.
90% of all land in Texas is privately owned and Ranchers want big bucks for hunting hogs on their land. Hunters them selves has actually deliberately helped increase hog populations for hunting reasons. That article is partially right, a Sow can have up to 10-12 piglets...twice a year. It was only 5 years ago that the total estimate nation wide for feral hogs at 3 million. Now is estimated to be 3 million in Texas alone. Feral hogs do a lot more damage than just root pastures, they will attack and eat other wildlife such as deer. Its a huge problem that is going to get worse if things don't change. Heck, think of it as eliminating hunger in the state, I mean a once a year free hog hunt could put a lot of food on the table for less fortunate folks.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,352,573 times
They're no good for nothing and yes, on top of being destructive as all get out, they can be dangerous.

I've seen some of these little rinky dink cars some people drive around, so I maybe after a number of people get killed in them after hitting one of these old sows or big boars, there will be enough outcry from the public to get something done.

And I'm not kidding about being in one of those deathtrap dinky cars and getting killed running into one of these critters. Heck, I saw one of those little, bitty cars with the entire front end crumpled up like day old newspaper from hitting a lab dog, so just picture one of them after hitting a huge old sow or boar.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If hunters were allowe to shoot hogs with impunity, we could eradicate them. The problem is that many landowners want hunters to PAY for the "privilege" of hunting the hogs. As long as this stays the practice, we will not be able to control the feral hog population.
Not sure what the alternative is - are you suggesting we allow hunters to go on private lands without permission, as long as they are only hunting feral pigs? That's a slippery slope.

Same thing with a free-for-all urban hunt. Sounds like fun, but there are reasons discharging a firearm in heavily-populated areas is frowned upon.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,908,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Not sure what the alternative is - are you suggesting we allow hunters to go on private lands without permission, as long as they are only hunting feral pigs? That's a slippery slope.

Same thing with a free-for-all urban hunt. Sounds like fun, but there are reasons discharging a firearm in heavily-populated areas is frowned upon.
BINGO. Property rights still mean something in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or