U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,706 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from college and I'm looking for an active Church group near Frisco or Plano with people who are college-aged. Back at UT, I heard a lot of good things about Young Life College. I wasn't a part of it, but it seemed very active and fun. I'm looking for a similar experience, but most of the YL groups around Plano seem to be targeted towards high school students. It also wouldn't make sense for me to go to one of the DFW YL College groups if I'm not going to that school.

Does anyone have recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM

554 posts, read 989,930 times
I'm not at all religious or spiritual but if I were going to get into that, I would just church hop. Just pick some churches out, google them and check out their websites to see if they have a young professional/singles group. Pick 10 and then go to each over the next few months to find which one you like best. Have fun!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
You're not in college anymore so look for "Young Adult" classes & activities targeted towards 20-30 something singles, not college groups. If you've graduated and are working, you have a lot more in common with single young adults than college students, whether you realize it or not.

Watermark in Dallas (635 & Tollroad), the various locations of Fellowship Bible (think the big one is in Lewisville), Irving Bible are three large and active non-denominational churches with huge amounts of young singles and a lot of activities/ programming as well as small group Bible studies.

In your area, I would imagine Prestonwood Baptist has a large young adult group based on the size of the church and you may want to check out Stonebriar Church in Frisco as well.

Visit each a few times to see where you connect.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM

655 posts, read 753,755 times
If you live in Plano & Frisco I can say from personal experience that you'd want to check out Prestonwood. If you just look on their website, they list all of the "Young Singles" classes for anyone under 35, I believe. Anyway, they have what's called Bible Fellowship classes on Saturday & Sunday morning and many of the classes will do things outside of church or go to lunch/dinner after the class, etc. If you've never been, it's almost overwhelming just how many classes they have for this age range on any given Sunday. They are all in the Prestonwood Christian Academy building & there will be signs for the various classes.

If you're not Baptist, I hear St Andrew Methodist in west Plano has a growing young adults ministry. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with in Plano & Frisco, but I'm sure there are a ton of other options with all the area churches.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM

485 posts, read 519,907 times
I'm not actively involved, but Watermark, Fellowship, and the Village are the 3 I hear the most about.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,769,436 times
Watermark is pretty impressive. Some very good guys go to that place.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
Here's my experience:
I have heard some pretty strange things about Watermark from friends who have been there recently so just do your research first. I went a few times myself and felt rather uneasy with their overall approach.
Prestonwood Baptist was far more traditional but I just could not relate at all with the group I was directed to so didn't stay long. I was in the 35-40 group so perhaps the 25-30 would be a better experience.
Munger Place downtown was more my style with a pretty good blend of friendly families and young professionals but it's not anywhere near to Plano or Frisco.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM

655 posts, read 753,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Here's my experience:
I have heard some pretty strange things about Watermark from friends who have been there recently so just do your research first. I went a few times myself and felt rather uneasy with their overall approach.
Prestonwood Baptist was far more traditional but I just could not relate at all with the group I was directed to so didn't stay long. I was in the 35-40 group so perhaps the 25-30 would be a better experience.
Munger Place downtown was more my style with a pretty good blend of friendly families and young professionals but it's not anywhere near to Plano or Frisco.
Agreed about Watermark. It's a huge church, so obviously a lot of people like it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I went to conservative Christian high school & even I thought Watermark was fundamentalist in a weird way.

The Sunday services at Prestonwood are more traditional, so if you like contemporary you'd want to go to the service on Saturday night at 5 PM with only the praise & worship team. Bent Tree Bible Fellowship is also in that same area pretty much across the street from Prestonwood.

Churches in Dallas are probably going to be a little too much of a drive to get involved with, but maybe you're OK driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or