U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,640,519 times

Advertisements

If I follow my boss up to Dallas, we'll be working in the area called (thanks to Google Maps) Vickery Meadows.

I already know from basic research that I'm priced out of Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs, so my inner homo will have to live without daily tater tots from Hunky's (but my inner cholesterol count will be thankful).

I hate long commutes, so as I look at the neighborhoods around Vickery Meadows, I see NE Dallas, University Park, North Dallas, Lake Highlands, and Richardson just across the 635. I would rather not go any further out than those.

I will be up there for a week in early October to scope things out for myself and make the decision, but if you were casting your vote, where should I focus on? Single GWM here at the half-century mark, so living in a safe, quiet area is much more a priority for me than hip mod "in the middle of it all" type places. Prefer 2-bd and $1100 or less.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM

2,237 posts, read 2,761,593 times
I would check out The Village, just a bit South down Greenville Avenue from Vickery Meadows. It might not be quite as quiet as you want, but I have had friends living there and think of them as safe.
The Village Apartments

And a bit of local reference: it's not "The 635" it is simply "635" or "LBJ."

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times
Second recommendation for The Village. It meets all of your criteria.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I would check out The Village, just a bit South down Greenville Avenue from Vickery Meadows. It might not be quite as quiet as you want, but I have had friends living there and think of them as safe.
The Village Apartments

And a bit of local reference: it's not "The 635" it is simply "635" or "LBJ."
LOL that^

The Village has done a good job of staying nice over the years, but there are a lot of younger 20's people living there. You might look west of central on Royal ln, and Meadow road. I know a few gay guys who own units in that area that are nice. Realtor.com and padmapper.com have their listings 75230. Older buildings in Northern Oak Lawn(75219) are also in your budget and wouldn't be a terrible commute. There are many men your age living there

Avoid Vickery Meadows

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-09-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,640,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
LOL that^

The Village has done a good job of staying nice over the years, but there are a lot of younger 20's people living there. You might look west of central on Royal ln, and Meadow road. I know a few gay guys who own units in that area that are nice. Realtor.com and padmapper.com have their listings 75230. Older buildings in Northern Oak Lawn(75219) are also in your budget and wouldn't be a terrible commute. There are many men your age living there

Avoid Vickery Meadows
Thanks.

I've noted multiple occasions on here of 20-somethings moving to the area and getting advised to go to the Village. I'm leery of that place as a result.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,761,593 times
My friends were all older than 20-somethings, but i understand the reluctance.

Don't have anything else for you, but good luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,112 times
As mentioned above, North Oak Lawn might work for you. It would be an older building without all the updated features but I know 30-somethings who live in that area who pay anywhere between $700-$1100/month. If you get a Dallas map, look on the streets between Lemmon Ave. and the Highland Park border -- Prescott, Bowser, Hawthorne, etc. These are quiet, leafy streets mostly inhabited by young professionals. and most of the dwellings are older duplexes and apartments with some new condo/townhome construction thrown in. But there are hardly any of the big, flashy apartment-homes complexes you get in Uptown or are being built in the now-hip Henderson Ave. area (east of Central) that attract the hordes of 20somethings.

North Oak Lawn puts you a bit south of where you want to be (it's south of University Park and Highland Park) but it wouldn't be a horrible commute.

One other thing: a lot of the landlords in North Oak Lawn will put a sign out front but won't otherwise advertise. So it's best to drive around to see what's available.

Last edited by TrueDat; 09-10-2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,796,018 times
I don't live at the Village or really have any friends there anymore, but I do drive through most days, and it's not all 20-somethings, there are older people. You might also check in the various condos and apartments just south of Lover's Lane off E. University between Greenville and Skillman. There are new complexes (redevelopment) going up there but there are also older smaller complexes and many converted to condos in the 70s - they are spacious and well-built. And there's the bonus of Central Market a few steps away. It's a very good value for the location, near North Park and between SMU/Park Cities and the north part of Lakewood and White Rock Lake.

The North Oak Lawn area suggested is also great, you will have to do some driving and make inquiries to find a place, but it's worth it - same story with sections of East Dallas/Knox-Henderson/M-Streets/Lower Greenville, which you might also consider.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM

974 posts, read 1,760,754 times
FWIW . . . I lived in the area back in "the day" it was mid-to latter part of 1980's . . . very much a party place back then but today, not as much. As someone mentioned previously, sure there are 20-somethings but you'll see a broader demographic than that. The Village is comprised of several apartment communities and each has their own vibe somewhat.
Your best bet is to simple get a tour and check out the place during the times that matter the most (like late afternoon / early evening) if property management allows for it.

good luck!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM

743 posts, read 1,063,623 times
I would actually go a little south of the Village. There are many apartment buildings lining Greenville Ave. But if you're willing to do a little work you might be able to find a two bedroom house in your price range in the eastern part of Lake Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or