U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,390 times

Advertisements

I am looking at the neighborhoods in Southlake and I am wondering if there is any big difference between the East side vs the West. And also above Hwy 114 or below. I have children ages 12 and 10, so I am not sure if the schools are a factor as well. Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM

440 posts, read 670,912 times
Some of the houses north of 114 are zoned for NWISD -still a good school district but when people buy in southlake they expect that they will go to south lake also I remember one development we looked at was also zoned for Keller schools but southlake address...otherwise not much difference IMHO.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Carroll ISD just started an "open enrollment" policy which allows anyone who lives in the Southlake City Limits to enroll their child in Carroll ISD. Carroll ISD Adopts Open-Enrollment Policy CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

So, there is really no longer any difference at all. There are no "bad" neighborhoods in Southlake.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM

2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besa1 View Post
I am looking at the neighborhoods in Southlake and I am wondering if there is any big difference between the East side vs the West. And also above Hwy 114 or below. I have children ages 12 and 10, so I am not sure if the schools are a factor as well. Any insight would be very much appreciated.
As sossie noted, far western Southlake (basically west of Randol Mill/Davis) is zoned for Keller ISD. Also, the parts of northern Southlake in Denton County are zoned for the Northwest ISD. http://www.southlakecarroll.edu/file...strict_map.pdf

There are opt-in programs for residents in both areas to apply for their children to attend in Carroll ISD - Carroll Opens Borders Up To Southlake Residents | MySouthlakeNews , however, the important takeaways from that article are: Seats will be filled based on space availability, parents applying under the new policy may find various grade levels closed at the campus closest to their home, and you have to reaply ANNUALLY for admittance, so getting in one year does not appear to guarantee admittance in subsequent years.

Generally, if you want your kids in Carroll ISD, then live in the parts of Southlake (or the parts of Grapevine) zoned for Carroll ISD. The elementary/middle schools within Carroll are generally indistinguishable from each other quality-wise, and they all feed into the same high school and senior high school.

As for parts of Southlake - in general, the northern parts of Southlake (above 114) are older, although the large development being built at Carillon (extending from the NE corner of White Chapel and 114) is an obvious exception and there are other newer areas up there. The majority of the shopping is located at the eastern end of town (between 114 and Southlake Blvd, extending west to Carroll Ave.). Traffic on Southlake Blvd. can be a bear at times, so keep that in mind if you need to drive on it either east or west during rush hour (or on weekends towards the malls). I can't think of any specific "East vs. West" differences (at least as long as you're within Carroll ISD) but others can chime in.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Southlake is really a very small city of about 40k people. Homes sell very strong in the city and many times you buy what you can find no matter the side of the city.

If you're commuting towards the airport the east side is about 10 minutes closer. North SL get's more air traffic than south.

None of this is a deal breaker for people wanting to be in SL.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
It's ~27K currently, and I think final buildout is estimated at ~35K (but could be wrong on that latter number).

And yeah, N/NE SL gets airplane noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas