U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM
 
7,293 posts, read 8,133,678 times
Reputation: 5384

Advertisements

Don't doubt what you guys are saying. But my experiences with NTTA have always been resolved to my satisfaction.

So far as simply raising the gas tax....increases in gas taxes would be spread across the state not concentrated here. Can you imagine what a disaster Houston would be without Beltway 8? Or Dallas without George Bush/161?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,615 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Reputation: 26682
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Exactly, I recall people buying used cars not knowing the vehicle had toll fees and the NTTA refused to remove the toll fees. The reverse is true as well where people had to pay late fees on car they sold. The NTTA refused o remove the fees despite showing a bill of sells. The late charges are insane and start adding up quick! I remember getting a late bill after a year without any bills. They tacked on $100 for being late for $10! I would have gladly paid the $10 bill should they have sent me a bill. Now days I avoid the Toll roads as much as possible but I also make sure I keep a surplus in my account just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I went through this earlier this year when I sold one of my cars. The new owner drove it home and took the Tollway. That same day, I went online and filled out the "sold my car" form they have on the TXDOT website, put in my license plate and all that, and figured it was a done deal.

Nope. The guy drove on the tollway for the next three days while NTTA was still assessing charges to my account. It came out to be $48. I called them and told them I had sold the car, they didn't care. I eventually ended up paying it and just saying the hell with it, which is what I imagine they are hoping for by making people stay on hold for an hour at a time.
Exactly...you two get it, the NTTA is such a freaking racket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,615 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Reputation: 26682
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Don't doubt what you guys are saying. But my experiences with NTTA have always been resolved to my satisfaction.

So far as simply raising the gas tax....increases in gas taxes would be spread across the state not concentrated here. Can you imagine what a disaster Houston would be without Beltway 8? Or Dallas without George Bush/161?
Glad you've been lucky with the NTTA, let's hope that streak continues.

Much as I'd like for the suburbanites and transplants responsible for our crushing increases in traffic volume to pay for the new roads their arrival has forced us to build, that isn't realistic.

If I had to choose between higher taxes and the corrupt nincompoopery of the NTTA, I choose the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,389,698 times
Reputation: 1815
Weren't the tollbooths to be taken down once the tollroad was paid for? Or was that just a rumor/myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,084 posts, read 2,450,084 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Glad you've been lucky with the NTTA, let's hope that streak continues.

Much as I'd like for the suburbanites and transplants responsible for our crushing increases in traffic volume to pay for the new roads their arrival has forced us to build, that isn't realistic.

If I had to choose between higher taxes and the corrupt nincompoopery of the NTTA, I choose the former.
I'm not a fan of the keynesian economics of highway construction, but if I had the choice I would prefer higher gas taxes too. We should stop building infrastructure we can't afford to maintain. The NTTA is a racket full of thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
 
7,293 posts, read 8,133,678 times
Reputation: 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I'm not a fan of the keynesian economics of highway construction, but if I had the choice I would prefer higher gas taxes too. We should stop building infrastructure we can't afford to maintain. The NTTA is a racket full of thugs.
Come on. That's seriously bogus on a couple of fronts. If you really believe NTTA is a racket beat them in court. It should be easy and you'd get rich.

Second, NTTA roads are fabulously well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Funky town
951 posts, read 1,420,607 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Weren't the tollbooths to be taken down once the tollroad was paid for? Or was that just a rumor/myth?
I don't think toll roads can be completely paid for that easily. There is ongoing maintenance all the time and this is why toll roads look fantastic at all times compared to 35 or other non-toll roads with high traffic. Also, inflation will keep the toll rates to go up with time as long as the maintenance cost keeps climbing up. However, I was hoping that there would be a drop in toll rates (one-time may be) once the initial investment with ROI is paid for but I don't know how they did their pricing model so the toll rates might be baked into the calculation of total investment and maintenance together over x number of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Funky town
951 posts, read 1,420,607 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Glad you've been lucky with the NTTA, let's hope that streak continues.

Much as I'd like for the suburbanites and transplants responsible for our crushing increases in traffic volume to pay for the new roads their arrival has forced us to build, that isn't realistic.

If I had to choose between higher taxes and the corrupt nincompoopery of the NTTA, I choose the former.
I'd actually pay for a high-speed public transportation solution that can keep things sustainable or hope Elon Musk chooses to test the Hyperloop concept in DFW
This Is the Hyperloop, Elon Musk's Fantastical Vision of Mass Transit | Autopia | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,389,698 times
Reputation: 1815
He backed out of the concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,615 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Reputation: 26682
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Come on. That's seriously bogus on a couple of fronts. If you really believe NTTA is a racket beat them in court. It should be easy and you'd get rich.

Second, NTTA roads are fabulously well maintained.
They should be, for what we're paying to drive on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I'd actually pay for a high-speed public transportation solution that can keep things sustainable or hope Elon Musk chooses to test the Hyperloop concept in DFW
This Is the Hyperloop, Elon Musk's Fantastical Vision of Mass Transit | Autopia | Wired.com
Heh...I wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top