U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM

9,521 posts, read 19,560,995 times

Advertisements

Again, I agree with TC that he is signing up for a potentially hellish commute... The problem is that the DART trains from Lewisville arrive on the west side of town, and then he has to go through downtown and catch the shuttle on the east side. Just going through downtown adds 15 minutes because there are several stops along the way. The only way he could catch the trains on the east side of downtown would be to start on the east side, along 75.

If your daughter's health problems are that bad, do you want her spending an hour each way commuting in her car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,774,676 times
As a guy that makes a crappy commute, I totally agree. Live in Lakewood, or Richardson, but don't put your husband on Dart. I have no idea what kind of job your husband has, but let me assure you, that I know very few professionals using Dart on a daily basis for that long of commute. Not saying that Dart is terrible (just bad), but public transportation in Dallas is different than other parts of the country.

Now this is also going to sound shallow, but what the hell, Dart also carries a stigma. The upward mobile execs in my office don't take Dart, but instead, the 30k a year assistants with student loans. If you believe, be it good or bad, that part of your success in a career is the image you portray, I would suspect that everyone in your husband's office is going to wonder what the hell he is thinking to move to DFW, have an office in a great part of town, and then commute for 1.5 hours each way each day. I still remember my sister-in-law, who works at an investment bank, that a young exec killed his career when he started taking a Vespa to work. He only lived three miles from work, and it made sense, but the other execs just constantly made fun of him.

That is just insane, unless there are really special circumstances (a special needs child?). Unless you have really unique situations to justify it, I would say that you are putting your husband's career and your marriage under stress by signing up for that type of commute.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:24 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,293,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
As a guy that makes a crappy commute, I totally agree. Live in Lakewood, or Richardson, but don't put your husband on Dart. I have no idea what kind of job your husband has, but let me assure you, that I know very few professionals using Dart on a daily basis for that long of commute. Not saying that Dart is terrible (just bad), but public transportation in Dallas is different than other parts of the country.

Now this is also going to sound shallow, but what the hell, Dart also carries a stigma. The upward mobile execs in my office don't take Dart, but instead, the 30k a year assistants with student loans. If you believe, be it good or bad, that part of your success in a career is the image you portray, I would suspect that everyone in your husband's office is going to wonder what the hell he is thinking to move to DFW, have an office in a great part of town, and then commute for 1.5 hours each way each day. I still remember my sister-in-law, who works at an investment bank, that a young exec killed his career when he started taking a Vespa to work. He only lived three miles from work, and it made sense, but the other execs just constantly made fun of him.

That is just insane, unless there are really special circumstances (a special needs child?). Unless you have really unique situations to justify it, I would say that you are putting your husband's career and your marriage under stress by signing up for that type of commute.
I echo HockDad's thesis that image plays a role in the office. The unfortunate truth is that Dallas is NOT a public transit town and people will assume you can't afford a car if you rely on public transit to commute (or that your husband has too many DUI's to have a Driver's license).

I just don't think that having both husband and daughter assume lengthy commutes makes any sense. Your daughter is going to have a heck of a drive to UNT whether she's coming from NW Dallas burbs or Lakewood. I guess I don't understand if her health issues are such a concern, why a 30 minute commute makes any difference over a 60 minute one? It's still a lot of time in the car at high speeds....

Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,480 times
Thank you for your advise. My daughter doesn't have anything that effects her driving. She has really bad food allergies so I fix her food at home. I'm going to look in Richardson so please advise some neighborhoods, you would suggest! Should my husband take the 75 from Richarsdon to Lakewood? My daughter will commute and make her schedule 3 days a week or 2 days and some online classes.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,293,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieRT View Post
Thank you for your advise. My daughter doesn't have anything that effects her driving. She has really bad food allergies so I fix her food at home. I'm going to look in Richardson so please advise some neighborhoods, you would suggest! Should my husband take the 75 from Richarsdon to Lakewood? My daughter will commute and make her schedule 3 days a week or 2 days and some online classes.
One last suggestion and then I'll butt out: your daughter is between 18-22, I presume? College is a time to adjust to being an adult in the real world. Your daughter is old enough to make her own food, food allergies or not. Get her a studio apartment near UNT or a dorm room with a kitchenette.

IMO, extreme food allergies are NOT a reason to put your husband through hell on a daily basis.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 6,969,599 times
I have to admit I was just about to post something similar. Are you planning for your daughter to live with you for the rest of your adult life?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Will Plano work also or just Richardson?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM

It's a little more complicated then the details I gave you! I'm not going to go into that on this site. I just want advice on where to live not on my child!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:16 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,732,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieRT View Post
It's a little more complicated then the details I gave you! I'm not going to go into that on this site. I just want advice on where to live not on my child!
Your Lewisville idea might work for school because there is a shuttle service between campus and Lewisville; I think in Highland Village. https://www.dcta.net/transportation-...enu-id-56.html

However, my post (with no advise on my part about your OP) for Valley Ranch or Las Colinas is still my best recommendation. There are both Royal and NW Highway routes to Lakewood. There is also a DART rail from Las Colinas directly into Dallas.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Thank you, Squirl. I like having more then one option. I will look into Las Colinas but I'm not seeing a lot of homes for sale in that area. I heard Highland Village is a nice area to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or