U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,327,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieRT View Post
Thank you for your advise. My daughter doesn't have anything that effects her driving. She has really bad food allergies so I fix her food at home. I'm going to look in Richardson so please advise some neighborhoods, you would suggest! Should my husband take the 75 from Richarsdon to Lakewood? My daughter will commute and make her schedule 3 days a week or 2 days and some online classes.
Richardson to Denton is hell. Pure hell. But if you want to live here, it's a relatively easy commute to Lakewood if you leave early enough in the morning. Anything west of 75 is a very safe bet except Greenwood Hills. Check 75080.

Quote:
It's a little more complicated then the details I gave you! I'm not going to go into that on this site. I just want advice on where to live not on my child!
As someone who also has food allergies, I echo the other posters' sentiments. She needs to learn how to cope in the real world. She's not going to live with you forever. Get her an Epipen and let her learn to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
One last suggestion and then I'll butt out: your daughter is between 18-22, I presume? College is a time to adjust to being an adult in the real world. Your daughter is old enough to make her own food, food allergies or not. Get her a studio apartment near UNT or a dorm room with a kitchenette.

IMO, extreme food allergies are NOT a reason to put your husband through hell on a daily basis.
This. ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,772,024 times
Quote:
Thank you, Squirl. I like having more then one option. I will look into Las Colinas but I'm not seeing a lot of homes for sale in that area. I heard Highland Village is a nice area to live?
Highland Village is very nice but will be difficult commute; traffic south in the morning is very congested.

Some zip codes to search for in the VR/LC area..... 75063, 75038, 75039, 75062

Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,895,323 times
I usually don't complain about commutes, but Highland Villiage to Lakewood sounds down right nightmarish.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 PM

552 posts, read 736,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Now this is also going to sound shallow, but what the hell, Dart also carries a stigma. The upward mobile execs in my office don't take Dart, but instead, the 30k a year assistants with student loans. If you believe, be it good or bad, that part of your success in a career is the image you portray, I would suspect that everyone in your husband's office is going to wonder what the hell he is thinking to move to DFW, have an office in a great part of town, and then commute for 1.5 hours each way each day. I still remember my sister-in-law, who works at an investment bank, that a young exec killed his career when he started taking a Vespa to work. He only lived three miles from work, and it made sense, but the other execs just constantly made fun of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I echo HockDad's thesis that image plays a role in the office. The unfortunate truth is that Dallas is NOT a public transit town and people will assume you can't afford a car if you rely on public transit to commute (or that your husband has too many DUI's to have a Driver's license).

I have no reason at all to doubt the truth of this, but it is terribly unfortunate and for once I feel like the worst stereotypes of Dallas are confirmed with a vengeance. I recently saw one of the vice provosts at a local university hopping off the TRE in the morning. He must not have gotten the memo that his green-commuting habits may put his performance reviews at risk!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
I have no reason at all to doubt the truth of this, but it is terribly unfortunate and for once I feel like the worst stereotypes of Dallas are confirmed with a vengeance. I recently saw one of the vice provosts at a local university hopping off the TRE in the morning. He must not have gotten the memo that his green-commuting habits may put his performance reviews at risk!
My husband uses DART about once a month to go to work (when we are going to meet in the city on a weekday evening) and about once a month to meet up with his running crew on the weekends. His level in the prestigious consulting company where he is employed is one many aspire to, he is a former Sr. Exec. in the airline industry. I don't agree with the statement about using DART rail being a factor in professional suicide....at least not coming into the city from Las Colinas.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 PM

23 posts, read 54,232 times
The only advice I can give is to get a short term rental(maybe 6 months) and test the waters before you buy anything. Rush hour traffic is absolutely horrible in Dallas. It would really stink to buy a house, and then realize you made a HUGE mistake on where to live. I personally would live as close as possible to Lakewood since your daughter will only be going to school a few days per week and she can schedule classes that avoid the rush hour commute.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,327,509 times
I guess in some professions/companies, using public transportation can be the "kiss of death" but I haven't found that to be the case in my professional career. I have worked in a few locations close enough to DART light rail for my coworkers to use it...several did so openly...and nobody said anything to/about them because of it. I would use it myself if I had to.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Original View Post
The only advice I can give is to get a short term rental(maybe 6 months) and test the waters before you buy anything. Rush hour traffic is absolutely horrible in Dallas. It would really stink to buy a house, and then realize you made a HUGE mistake on where to live. I personally would live as close as possible to Lakewood since your daughter will only be going to school a few days per week and she can schedule classes that avoid the rush hour commute.

Yes!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 AM

9,534 posts, read 19,609,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I guess in some professions/companies, using public transportation can be the "kiss of death" but I haven't found that to be the case in my professional career. I have worked in a few locations close enough to DART light rail for my coworkers to use it...several did so openly...and nobody said anything to/about them because of it. I would use it myself if I had to.
Same here. In healthcare, we could care less what you drive. Many of my coworkers work 3-12s so they are willing to put up with a longer commute on those 3 days so they can spend the other 4 living in a rural area. The trains are the perfect solution for that, and they also allow them to sleep or relax after that long shift!

I totally agree that getting a short term rental and testing the commute length both people are willing to tolerate is the best idea. Your daughter may find out she is missing 1/3 of the college experience by not living on campus, too...

Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,773,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Very true.

Coming from the NE where most folks took public transportation our cities (NYC in our case), some of us transplants haven't kicked our habit. My hubby happily takes the DART into work each day and is probably the only one in his new company to do so. So cheap, beats sitting in traffic. He saves so much money and it is a relaxing commute.

It isn't a badge of courage to always drive your car. Work smart, play hard. Keep the aggravation to a minimum. If Dallas companies are judging employees for taking public transportation....all I can say is that you are behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or